Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wicklow 200

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

smacl wrote: »
    Happens every year on the WW200 thread, wouldn't worry about it, practically a tradition at this stage :pac:
    im begining to feel like the sad emotion character from the recent animated movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gaffmaster wrote: »
    ....I pushed it a bit on the run in and narrowly missed finishing in under 8 hours..
    Just as an aside, I hear quite a few people mentioning the time they did it in. How do they know? Is it on the certificate?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just as an aside, I hear quite a few people mentioning the time they did it in. How do they know? Is it on the certificate?

Starva, and their GPS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Agree with the last 2 posts, an awful lot of cry babys here.

Disagree with your post. Its free to cycle on the roads around Wicklow the last time i checked so for the 40 Euro paid people should expect something for it since none of the money is going to charity and it looks like there was a lack of marshals on the road too.

If there had of been no water on top of Shay Elliott the first time i done the W200 and i suffered like a dog that day,i wouldn't have been too happy either.

ted1 wrote: »
    Starva, and their GPS
    So are they using moving time or elapsed time. It would have to be elapsed time as stopping times would differ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

So are they using moving time or elapsed time. It would have to be elapsed time as stopping times would differ.

I go by moving time. As punctures costed me about an hour. Time elapsed was depressingly longer :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

They usually to publish a list of elapsed times against entry numbers on the WW200 web site a week or two after the event. What with queues and that, elapsed times are sketchy, but then so are moving times as you'll go much faster if you take plenty of rest time. I tend to plod through, skip the first food stop and take a few minutes each on SM and Rathdrum, though a puncture this year put paid to that. I'd usually get around in slightly over 10 hours, but it was over 11 this year. Still managed to get passed by some groups three or four times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Agree with the last 2 posts, an awful lot of cry babys here.

Who exactly is crying? Will you give some examples?

Here are the facts and I'd appreciate if anyone has a valid case against these facts.

You lot claim you ride sportives.

If that is indeed the truth then you are fully aware of the absolute gold standard set in several of our sportives.

You are also fully aware that to enter these sportives cost substantially less than the W200.

Will a single one of deny that on these sportives that the riders are catered for to the extent that the W200 "efforts" are shamed? Would you deny that there is more food and drink that you could possibly consume? Would you make a claim that a single rider was left without supplies?

Is there a single one of you who will contradict that despite charging far less that most of these other sportives pay MOST of your fee over to charity and then publish that amount?

I've already said I couldn't personally care less how shoddy the W200 service is - its the apologists and excuses that are ridiculous and that was my point, clearly outlined when I joined this part of the discussion. But, hey, as long as there are mugs like you willing to put up with this standard then why would they bother achieving a decent standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

People generally quote rolling times, but the official W100/W200 stats are always based on your card scan before/after the event so elapsed times.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

An idea for the organisers could be to hire one of those tankers that Co Councils provide when there is a boil water notice. I've seen them used on sportives abroad fitted with multiple taps to ensure speedy refills at summits.

This was my 6th W200. For most of the others I can remember they had those tankers in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rolling time, it's the time that they were actually moving do excludes water and good stops etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lumen wrote: »
    I suppose you want a medal for pointing that out?

:pac:

A medal, jersey, cert, goodie bag and decent food...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lumen wrote: »
    I suppose you want a medal for pointing that out?

:pac:

Just put it in the post... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

cajonlardo wrote: »

I've already said I couldn't personally care less how shoddy the W200 service is - its the apologists and excuses that are ridiculous and that was my point, clearly outlined when I joined this part of the discussion. But, hey, as long as there are mugs like you willing to put up with this standard then why would they bother achieving a decent standard?

Is that you Roy ?

Seriously though, you're not wrong.

bbolger wrote: »
    People generally quote rolling times, but the official W100/W200 stats are always based on your card scan before/after the event so elapsed times.
    ted1 wrote: »
    Rolling time, it's the time that they were actually moving do excludes water and good stops etc
    That would make sense as I hear people saying that they did sub 7 hours. I don't take the certificate (as I've no way of carrying it) and it just occurred to me today that it may be printed on it based on scanned start/stop times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Doesn t have times on the cert as I recall? (as an aside, I wrap my phone in an A4 plastic pouch, so that if there is a certificate at the end I can unfold the pouch and put the cert in and roll it up carefully to protect it a bit if cycling more/raining was really handy for the ROK where I d started 10 miles out of town).

My first W200 I used the listed times for my time around (I d worked out about 11 hours as I was too nervous/excited/ill prepared on the day to keep track properly, officially down at 10hr 50mins) for my 2nd 200 I got a bike computer which I set to measure rolling time and then used the post-event listed times to work out how much rest time I d had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Too much out of my control to go with total time for me - queue at balinglass, queue at the end, collecting and dropping the Jersey to the car after signing in.
    My rolling time was 8.48, my Garmin giving a total time of 10.22 (which would've included signing on in the morning as well as I started it leaving the car).

smacl wrote: »
    They usually to publish a list of elapsed times against entry numbers on the WW200 web site a week or two after the event....
    Just looking through those times for last year and noticed one rider managed it in 6 seconds. Now that's pretty impressive! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

I woke up to the alarm at 5.30am, and went back to sleep 'cos it was raining and I was cosy. Then I woke again at 9.30 and thought 'Ah feckit' and went to Greystones, the last person to register. So I did 8hrs 28 rolling time, which I was happy with as I cycled alone all the way, didn't meet any stragglers till SM (except for one guy at BG whose crank had come clean off). Oddly I had the trumpet riff from The Blades 'Downmarket' playing in my head most of the way.
    There was sufficient water for all, though...I was able to fill my bidons from bottles at BG and Rathdrum, and didn't need any at SM or SE. You need to plan ahead...you can't rely on the organisers' tanks not being empty at the top of a hill, if you've neglected to take their water earlier. Especially on a hot day. No way to gauge how much people are going to drink at the roadside stops.
    Not trying to stir things up, but as most of the riders preceded me, I was able to spot the debris left on the road. Some was accidental (bar plugs, gloves, a nice cap etc.) but some wasn't....hundreds of empty gel sachets, and lots of discarded bidons towards the end. Whoever youse are, take it home with you, you can't expect the organisers to go pick up after you.
    As for the nice cap...whoever lost it, if they read this stuff, PM me the colour and make, plus your address, and I'll post it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

As for the nice cap...whoever lost it, if they read this stuff, PM me the colour and make, plus your address, and I'll post it to you.

Rapha, Black?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

Inquitus wrote: »
    Rapha, Black?
    Sorry Inquitis, that's not the cap I found!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

Anyone know when the photos for this should be available on the wicklow200 website?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

prionnsias wrote: »
    Anyone know when the photos for this should be available on the wicklow200 website?

Lots of photos posted on FBI book yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/IVCA-Photos-of-Wicklow-200-Sunday-12th-June-2016-320360661629038/photos/?tab=albums

Good to see the "unoffical" boards.ie kit in one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Lots of photos posted on FBI book yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/IVCA-Photos-of-Wicklow-200-Sunday-12th-June-2016-320360661629038/photos/?tab=albums

Good to see the "unoffical" boards.ie kit in one!

Glaiber all round?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Glaiber all round?

Team Argos Shimano, Ireland. :)

The following. It was a big hit in a a bargains thread awhile back.

Advertisement