Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One cat or two?

• 28-05-2016 9:52pm

Some cat questions for the more knowledgeable than myself.

I have a kitten who is about 7 or so months old. He is totally awesome and completely spoiled. I also have two dogs. They love him. Wasn't always that way but we've worked very hard and now they all get on like a house on fire. Like really amazingly well. He play fights with them and he cuddles up with them for naps and they even all eat peacefully together without a hint of aggression even when he makes moves towards their bowls. So life is pretty great. However, both the dogs come to work with me and so rarely spend more than an hour or so home alone. The cat on the other hand spends a fair amount by himself. Nothing major just a few hours a few days a week. I know this isn't a real upset to him and I'm fairly confident he sleeps half the time and chases flies the other half but I'm just wondering would he be happier with a friend?

Here's my questions..

Would he be happier with another cat for company when we're away or is he probably content enough on his own? Like my dogs couldn't cope alone but are cats different?

If we did get another cat is it likely to upset his friendship with the dogs? The dogs adore him at this stage, I'd be sorry to see that change after all the work we put in.

How do u go about pairing up cats? I introduced my dogs before I committed to the second fella to make sure they'd get on. What's the protocol with cats?

Do male and females get on better like with dogs?

Would I be better do it soon while hes still young? Is age a factor? Should I consider a kitten or is an adult cat ok?

Would it change his relationship with me if he had a feline friend because at the moment I'm his mammy and best bud all in one and its just the best!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

cats are very territorial. Age is a factor, but at 7 months he may get on with a kitten. I had an adult cat and i was looking after my nieces kitten for a few hours a few years back. The adult cat attacked as soon as she could.

He's neutured, will that make him any less likely to be aggressive with a new cat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

He's neutured, will that make him any less likely to be aggressive with a new cat?

Neutering will decrease their aggressiveness. if you do intend to get another cat, either show them both the same amount of attention or ignore them. No matter how loving you are to a cat, they will always be wild.

I have a cat now with 3 dogs and they all get along, the cat even allows the dogs to lick her ears, but at the end of t6he day he is the boss and the dogs know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We had a six month old neutered male when we got a female kitten. For about a week it was like his whole world fell apart and he couldn't believe what we'd done to him.
    She adored him from the moment she saw him (her mother was a ginger like our male).
    After a couple of weeks, he got used to her. 9 years later they are constantly snuggled up together and she still adores him while he's fond of her but regularly beats her up!

He's a complete mummies boy with my wife, she is very attached to me.

They are great company for each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Cats have to be introduced very slowly and deliberately. You never know how it will work out until you try it. Good tips here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

We have three cats so have gone through introductions a few times, based on my experience some answers to your questions (I don't have dogs so no idea on that one!):

Would he be happier with another cat for company when we're away or is he probably content enough on his own? Like my dogs couldn't cope alone but are cats different?

It really depends on the cat, some are loners but others enjoy feline company. If your cat is indoor only I think its a really good idea to have a friend.

How do u go about pairing up cats? I introduced my dogs before I committed to the second fella to make sure they'd get on. What's the protocol with cats?

Its recommended that you introduce cats slowly, separating them when you are not home and allowing them limited access to each other, scent swapping etc.
    If you are very, very lucky (we were) then you might just be able to shorten the introduction period as they adapt quickly with no real issues but as the process can be lengthy one it may not work to take a cat temporarily (fostering etc) as your time with them may run out before the slow introductions are complete.

Do male and females get on better like with dogs?

I think there are different thoughts on this, but I know my male cat has a better relationship with each of my females then they have with each other.

Would I be better do it soon while hes still young? Is age a factor? Should I consider a kitten or is an adult cat ok?

Moriarty is our eldest cat and he wasn't yet a year old when we introduced the second kitten, he definitely adjusted more quickly to her then he did to the third girl who was introduced when he was two and a half. I haven't introduced an adult cat into the mix but I know that their outside interactions with other adults are much more difficult then their interactions with kittens, they tend to ignore young cats they meet but run off/ fight the older ones so I do think introducing an adult would be more difficult.

Would it change his relationship with me if he had a feline friend because at the moment I'm his mammy and best bud all in one and its just the best!

Prior to getting are second cat Moriarty loved to cuddle on my knee, as he grew closer to her they would cuddle up together and needed me less. While they both put up with the youngest cat well (no fighting etc.) their relationship with her is not as close, as she isn't allowed cuddle with them she comes to her humans! So if they became very close it might mean you are needed less, which is probably a good thing if they are alone for long periods of time...

Good luck with the introductions if you decide to go ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭taytobreath

my opinion is... i wouldn't change what is already a good, happy and content environment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

my opinion is... i wouldn't change what is already a good, happy and content environment
    I'd tend to agree. You may be lucky and the two cats may get on, then again they might not, and it's not really under your control which way it goes. Plus, even if they do get on, the behaviour of the resident cat will change, albeit possibly very slightly if you're lucky, but it will change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭acequion

I'd also be reluctant to change things. The way you describe it,it sounds lovely and your little cat has bonded so well with the dogs and more importantly,with you. You are probably guessing spot on when you say that when alone, he sleeps half the time and chases flies or watches birds the other half. Cats are independent and can be happy enough alone for short periods. I have always had just one cat and it's never been a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Shivi111 wrote: »
    Prior to getting are second cat Moriarty loved to cuddle on my knee, as he grew closer to her they would cuddle up together and needed me less. While they both put up with the youngest cat well (no fighting etc.) their relationship with her is not as close, as she isn't allowed cuddle with them she comes to her humans! So if they became very close it might mean you are needed less

Or not. My two adore each other, but both are also total lap cats. Sometimes one will nudge the other off my lap and take his place, sometimes the one already there refuses to be nudged and I end up with both on my lap at once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Or not. My two adore each other, but both are also total lap cats. Sometimes one will nudge the other off my lap and take his place, sometimes the one already there refuses to be nudged and I end up with both on my lap at once!

haha that made me laugh out loud, cheeky feckers arent they

Thanks for all the replies. Had a read through dandelions link and had a little think and I have to agree with tayto breath etc. We do have a good set up going, it hasn't been easy getting my terrier to accept the kitten and I don't think I could go through it all again. I didn't realise there was that much involved in cat intros. I'd love to give a good home to another rescue cat but I think its not to be. Maybe in the future things will change but I don't think the cat spends quite enough time alone to risk messing with our happy little family for now!
    Thanks again!

Advertisement