Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contactless card - no receipt from the shop

• 28-05-2016 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all,

I wonder if anybody has ever got a similar issue like mine.
    I received my contactless credit card more or less two months ago and I've been using it regularly since then.
    Just two days ago I went to a shop, after paying with my usual card, I was surprised not to receive a receipt for my credit card payment. When I asked for it, I was told that there is no receipt for the client when the card is tapped.
    I told the lady at the counter that it is possible to issue a copy of the receipt for me, I've been tapping the card every time in every shop and all the time I get the usual receipt. She insisted that the machine doesn't produce any receipt for the client. We had an ongoing conversation that didn't bring us anywhere. In the end I didn't know what else to say and I left.
    Any suggestion? Shall I call my bank?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

So she didn't know how to work the machine.

If you really wanted a receipt, you should have insisted she ring the merchant who supplied the POS machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

If you'd like to verify the transaction was done, call the bank for sure but beyond that, there's nothing they can really do. Maybe contact the store manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Our store only prints a merchant copy for contactless payments, its a separate unit to the pos system. You should still have received a receipt from the cash register though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

This is correct. Merchant receipt only on contactless. The idea is to speed up transactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Books4you

Where I work the terminal we have only prints out a merchant receipt for contactless so we only give a till receipt, not a till and visa receipt. For pin the cardholders receipt comes out first, then the merchants.

The only thing I will say though is if a customer asks for a copy, on our terminal anyway we can print out a duplicate. It does say merchant copy on it but keeps the customer happy. I think she just might not know that or maybe she can't do it on their machine.

Also was it an old till? Our till is ancient (Small old shop) and no scanning or anything so not connected to visa terminal. When you use contactless in say Centra, its connected to the till and it all shows up on the 1 receipt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Every machine seems to be differently configured.

One I've seen (from AIB) printed merachant copy and then customer copy during normal chip and pin transaction, but only merchant copy during contactless transaction.

However when choosing option to print receipt duplicate for last transaction, it would print both merchant copy and customer copy even for contactless transaction.

Anyway - till receipt is always available, but considering till is separate from card machine, there's no guarantee that amount shown by till receipt is the same amount as charged from card, as amount for card is put up manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sushmita

Thank you guys.
    The lady at the till was actually the owner of the store.
    I actually suggested her to contact her machine's provider, but she didn't sound like she was going to... I have to admit I got very annoyed and there was almost a quarrell going on. I didn't think of asking her to call them right in that moment, but anyway it was after 6 in the evening, so I doubt somebody was in the office at that time.
    Ironically, after this experience today I went to a petrol station, when I was asked to tap the card, I asked the man at the counter if he would issue a credit card receipt for me, he replied "of course! as usual". Like I had asked the silliest question :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

FortySeven wrote: »
    This is correct. Merchant receipt only on contactless. The idea is to speed up transactions.

Some stores do, some don't
    If you'd like to verify the transaction was done, call the bank for sure but beyond that, there's nothing they can really do. Maybe contact the store manager?

Another way contactless is faster is that they do not always go online for authorizations, so the OP's bank might not know about the transaction for a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Has anybody had an experience being charged the wrong amount e.g. spent €11.50 and then discover a few days later €30 was charged and let's say you got no receipt.

I use contactless in a local takeaway and usually don't bother about a receipt. That would soon change if I get charged incorrectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Another way contactless is faster is that they do not always go online for authorizations, so the OP's bank might not know about the transaction for a few days

Hadn't thought of that, good call.

• Advertisement
Advertisement