Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rental fixed term contract

Options
  • 28-05-2016 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi All,

I began rental on a property in July 2015 with a 1yr contract. I've had an email today from my landlord asking am I interested in a new fixed term contract. My intention was to continue living in the house without signing a new contract. My impression was that I could do this and I am under no obligation to sign a contract?
    Also as I signed the contract for the house prior to the new legislation regarding rent certainty do I fall under this and am I free from a rent increase until July 2017??

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

No, you don't have to sign a new fixed term agreement - you can go onto a Part 4 tenancy which is easier for you if you want to leave at any time but also the landlord has a number of options in which he can serve you with a notice of termination. Legally you should advise the landlord between 3 months and 1 month prior to the end of the lease that you wish to remain in the property under a Part 4 tenancy; however, failure to do so does not bar you from your legl right to a Part 4 tenancy.

You are correct in that the landlord cannot have a rent review until July 2017 and must give you a notice period of 90 before any increase occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

No, you don't have to sign a new fixed term agreement - you can go onto a Part 4 tenancy which is easier for you if you want to leave at any time but also the landlord has a number of options in which he can serve you with a notice of termination. Legally you should advise the landlord between 3 months and 1 month prior to the end of the lease that you wish to remain in the property under a Part 4 tenancy; however, failure to do so does not bar you from your legl right to a Part 4 tenancy.

You are correct in that the landlord cannot have a rent review until July 2017 and must give you a notice period of 90 before any increase occurs.

That's great, thank you for the reply.

Advertisement