Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing rifle parts

Options
  • 28-05-2016 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

What is the situation with regards to purchasing trigger kits , stocks etc online. I know some US sites won't post anything over $100 to ireland but I believe that is due to their state's export regs and not Irish import laws.

Is it legal to buy rifle parts and have them posted here or will the items be stopped by customs?Is it different for european or US sites ?Most of the parts I'm looking to buy would be available through irish dealers but for some reason Irish firearm dealers don't seem to put any effort into their websites and I prefer to be able to take my time and learn about each item before buying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I don't know about the regs, but I totally agree with the poor websites Irish firearms dealers have. Truly awful. I intend to approach a couple of them, but alas i'm too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The reason they wont post things over $100 is due to ITAR regulations which is federal law not state law. Many firearm part are controlled and regulated in america and require an export licence to be exported. Which can be costly when you are only ordering one of them etc..
    Its legal to buy parts and your firearms licence is enough for customs.
    Things may seem cheaper in the states but with an import licence, tax and shipping it seldom is.
    There are people who think its a good idea to have friends in america post things without going through this process but it is extremely illegal and taken very seriously there it would be a federal offence. So a ban on firearms for anyone found guilty of committing it and a nice long state paid for holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

+1 for the poor websites. Frustrated lately trying to find out what .22 pistols dealers have in stock. It's like 20 years ago having to sit down with the golden pages and ring dealers !!!!!! Thank god for you tube at least you can do a bit of research there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Its 250 or 275 usd for the Fed export permit.That is per shipment.Doesnt matter if it is one gun barrel or twenty modern sporting rifles.So if you got together a bulk order from people it mightnt be too bad.However, the Feds can take about 6weeks to clear the back log,then you need a liscensed FFL dealer who can export outside CONUS.Add their cost to the shipment,and then an approved carrier.So it does add up alright.
    So unless it is somthing really worth the extra expense,I would try sourcing it in the EU first.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement