Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINDOWS 10 TRIED AUTOMIC INSTALL WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!?

• 28-05-2016 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi all,

Maybe this is in the wrong thread, but i see it as malware/virus.

Windows just tried to install 10.0 on my Pc (which I paid €1400 for) without my permission? WTF!?

Someone please advise how I stop this from happening. I'm old school and I like my current version.

Seriously how can they even do that to my PC without my permission!?

Thanks in Advance,

Cont.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Hi all,

Maybe this is in the wrong thread, but i see it as malware/virus.

Windows just tried to install 10.0 on my Pc (which I paid €1400 for) without my permission? WTF!?

Someone please advise how I stop this from happening. I'm old school and I like my current version.

Seriously how can they even do that to my PC without my permission!?

Thanks in Advance,

Cont.

Use Steve Gibson's Never 10 tool. https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

When it pops up on the screen clicking the "x" icon to remove it from the screen is their sneaky way of then taking that as you clicking accept so it starts to download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

If you turn it on and find windows 10 already installed you can turn it back within 1 month of the update.

Otherwise if it's still just threatening to install just download the program mentioned above and let it work it's magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Contributor 2013

how're ya, appreciate the replies.

I stopped windows doing 'automatic updates' and since then so far so good.

the ****ing audacity though; to try and complete an update to a new operation system without my consent on a machine i paid this much for.
    #fúckbillgates

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

How did you stop them please

• Advertisement

Went to control panel > windows updates

Ticked the box which says I have to manually approve updates.

Found it on google/YouTube.

how're ya, appreciate the replies.

I stopped windows doing 'automatic updates' and since then so far so good.

the ****ing audacity though; to try and complete an update to a new operation system without my consent on a machine i paid this much for.
    #fúckbillgates

That's a bad solution - you should leave automatic updates turned on, otherwise you are going to open yourself up to being compromised.

Use the Never10 tool I mentioned above and just turn off the Win10 stuff (it's how I, and many others have set it).

Not so happy to be downloading a tool for this really. I'll just manually approve the updates once a month?

Seriously though, windows are taking liberties with this. Not happy.

Not so happy to be downloading a tool for this really. I'll just manually approve the updates once a month?

Seriously though, windows are taking liberties with this. Not happy.

That's your call, but you might miss out on out-of-band patches that M$FT release outside of the Patch Tuesday schedule, which are usually for already exploited vulnerabilities. I certainly would not take that risk.

I've used the tool - I won't get Win10 because I've followed a 2 minute process to prevent it and my machine will happily patch itself as and when M$FT release patches. I'm not going to need to spend 5-10 minutes every month manually patching.

I totally agree with you on the principle here - M$FT are complete f$%kwiths for doing this. They should get roasted for taking this action.

However I do not agree with your solution to it.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    That's your call, but you might miss out on out-of-band patches that M$FT release outside of the Patch Tuesday schedule, which are usually for already exploited vulnerabilities. I certainly would not take that risk.

I've used the tool - I won't get Win10 because I've followed a 2 minute process to prevent it and my machine will happily patch itself as and when M$FT release patches. I'm not going to need to spend 5-10 minutes every month manually patching.

I totally agree with you on the principle here - M$FT are complete f$%kwiths for doing this. They should get roasted for taking this action.

However I do not agree with your solution to it.

fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The tool only sets a set of reg keys (and cleans a folder to recover 3-6GB free space), nothing more. Its the setting MS ask enterprise to use to kill GWX.

If you don't like the tool simply use regedit instead and bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Askea

hi

use this link to stop update to windows 10
    mspoweruser.com/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-notification-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/

and if your computer does update on ya you can do a roll back to your old windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭liamtimdusty

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/08/11/how-to-block-specific-updates-in-windows-update/

Use this to just hide any specific updates you don't wish to install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is there any particular aversion to installing 10, I understand the sneaky aspect of the approach but why would one not install 10?

Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Personal choice
    Issues with drivers
    Issues with applications/games
    Privacy concerns/issues
    Forced updates
    etc.

If you are upgrading, it depends on what version of Windows you currently have 7/8 home/pro etc.
    Is there any particular aversion to installing 10, I understand the sneaky aspect of the approach but why would one not install 10?

Thanks

Personal choice
    Issues with drivers
    Issues with applications/games
    Privacy concerns/issues
    Forced updates
    etc.

If you are upgrading, it depends on what version of Windows you currently have 7/8 home/pro etc.

Thanks, its not my rig, its a neighbour, elderly couple whom I have "helped" with computer issues for past 10-15 or so years.

Its pretty basic stuff, email, excel, word, photos, some games for grand kids...
    They keep asking me should they and I don't know.
    Its currently Win 7 Home.

ps what are the privacy issues, I get the rest of your list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Not trying to be smart but there are lots of articles out there you can read.
    Google: privacy concerns windows 10 Some of it is tin foil hat stuff.

But for most people, I believe Windows 10 is a positive step forward. Without going into my own opinion too much, I believe the forced updates is needed for regular users. But a lot of people disagree. :o

I've been involved in about 200+ upgrades and we had plenty of issues early on. However seeing very few if any issues on any recent upgrades.

If you do go ahead and upgrade, I recommend you get them to buy an SSD, fresh install and have the current drive as a backup in the PC. They'll get a relatively nice speed bump for small money and also means you can always switch back to Windows 7 with the switch of the drives.
    Also worth mentioning to them that Microsoft collects additional data from a Windows 10 PC for marketing use. To be fair to MS, most of the big players are already collecting huge amounts of data on you already... Google, Apple, Adobe etc.
    Thanks, its not my rig, its a neighbour, elderly couple whom I have "helped" with computer issues for past 10-15 or so years.

Its pretty basic stuff, email, excel, word, photos, some games for grand kids...
    They keep asking me should they and I don't know.
    Its currently Win 7 Home.

ps what are the privacy issues, I get the rest of your list

Much obliged, thank you for taking the time.

Advertisement