Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Apple Care worth it?

Options
  • 29-05-2016 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi there,

So I am thinking about treating myself to the base model 13" Macbook Pro which is currently retailing at €1499 and I am wondering if the Applecare is really worth the value or could I get a other third party insurance company to cover it?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

OriginV wrote: »
    Hi there,

So I am thinking about treating myself to the base model 13" Macbook Pro which is currently retailing at €1499 and I am wondering if the Applecare is really worth the value or could I get a other third party insurance company to cover it?

House insurance if you can avail of it, and Sale of Goods Act in the event of a fault developing with it. Between them you should be covered for most eventualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Hi there,

Just so you know Apple Care doesn't cover accidental damage in Macs.

Edit to say that unless you really need it soon I'd hold off until after summer. The design, while still excellent, is donkey years old and should be replaced with a completely new design.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Just looking on all the different sites where I could purchase a MBP and I found an advert from a Private seller in Dublin who has a store in Dublin 1. He has a sealed 13 inch MBP, he said the item was an unwanted gift that was traded in against other stuff.

I am just wondering does the warranty start from the date of original purchase or once the device is activated and turned on?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

From original date of purchase. Make sure it's the 2.7 GHz model and not the older 2.6.

However, I would echo Oafley Jones, wait for WWDC. It's only a couple of weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

From original date of purchase. Make sure it's the 2.7 GHz model and not the older 2.6.

However, I would echo Oafley Jones, wait for WWDC. It's only a couple of weeks away.
    Yeah I might wait now since even though it is sealed I would not know when it was originally purchased.

What would the prices be like for the Macbook Pro's?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

About the same, depends on the euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Just a bit of advice, I was looking into getting Apple care for son's I phone 6s.

Apple care = 149 euro. 2 years apple care, includes a couple of falls and water damage etc.

If you need a new screen through apple care it will cost 69 euro, it wont be free.

If you require a new screen without apple care its 179 euro.

So in essence 149+69= more money than not having apple care....

The OP was asking about AppleCare for MacBook, though. Which doesn't cover accidental damage, only faults. Any faults will be covered in full.

And as for AppleCare for iPhone, you are allowed two incidents of accidental damage, which might be far worse than a broken screen. The accidental damage cover is probably best thought of as a bonus. If you have a tendency to drop your phone AppleCare isn't a good option IMO, better off with insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RedDiver2010

Hi there,

A good reference to look at is buyersguide.macrumors. com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro, they have a lot of suggestions and they also are pretty good at explaining their reasoning behind their buy, don't buy or cautions.

One thing to consider is where your buying the macbook. If perhaps your purchasing it while on holiday in America where it's essentially cheaper, consider that they don't have the EU/Ireland 6 year sudo warranty. It's a flat 1 yr manufacturers warranty. Also if you happen to buy from some shops they may extend the warranty such as CompuB gives a 2 yr warranty as standard with any (new) macbook purchase. Also if you happen to be buying for a student or are a student yourself, don't forget to get that discount as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

mad m wrote: »
    Just a bit of advice, I was looking into getting Apple care for son's I phone 6s.

Apple care = 149 euro. 2 years apple care, includes a couple of falls and water damage etc.

If you need a new screen through apple care it will cost 69 euro, it wont be free.

If you require a new screen without apple care its 179 euro.

So in essence 149+69= more money than not having apple care....

The excess on AppleCare+ is €69, so thats what it will cost whether it is screen, water or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Advertisement