Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Buying secondhand bike what should I buy

• 29-05-2016 4:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello there
    I was looking to buy a secondhand bike
    To travel to college everyday (40min drive) and was wondering what bike is best to buy for a 22 year old that's good on insurance and best price to purchase
    Any information is appreciated
    This will be my first time on the road but I've had my licence for a few years and have completed the training
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

You cant go wrong with a new Suzuki Gn125 if you are not doing motorway driving.

Great on fuel
    Easy to ride
    Cheap to insure
    Bulletproof engine

And just over €2000 brand new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

That's true, and a good recommendation, but the op did say secondhand, so I'm gonna stick my oar in and say he's probably already figured out that he'll get more bike for his money (and do without the reassurance of the warranty, of course). Which is what I'd do — it's not worth paying extra for that "new bike smell"! :D

You don't want something that you'll be crucified for on insurance, obviously. But you won't just be using it for commuting, I take it? You could get a bit bored on something as sensible as that Suzuki undoubtedly is (I used to courier on its ancient predecessor; it withstood terrible neglect and never, ever failed to start!)

What's your budget, how tall are you and what did you do your training on? (and how did you find it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lew94

Hi I'm 22, 5'11 I am willing to get a loan of 1000 to 2000 along as the bike is worth it and I've completed the way IBT course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Cb400 super four. Ideal bike for a novice. I have mine on adverts if your interested. I have a new bike now so the cb does not get used. When I did commute on it, I had a 50 min commute and the cb is well able for the motorway etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

My young fella started on a Varadero 125 a couple of years ago.
    Fantastic machine, bulletproof, comfortable to ride, easy on juice, easy to insure and good for taller fellas (He's 6ft +)
    Gives off the impression of being a lot bigger than it is but at the same time it's very solid with a fair bit of pep in it.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and even thought about getting one for myself as a runaround.
    You'll get a 2nd hand one within your budget easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Lew94 wrote: »
    Hello there
    I was looking to buy a secondhand bike
    To travel to college everyday (40min drive) and was wondering what bike is best to buy for a 22 year old that's good on insurance and best price to purchase

40 min on what type of roads?

Tonnes of 125/250 cruisers out there 2nd hand for little money.

Nice on style, V twin sounds lovely, cheap to run, cheap to fix and cheap to insure.

I've a small cc Yamaha Dragstar myself and it's very handy around town, will handle almost any road (struggles a bit on motorways), looks like a bigger bike and is surprisingly decent handling. Plus the saddlebags would be handy for carrying in books etc to class should you need to.

Edit:

Also, it may not be your thing, but I commuted to college on a Aprilia Habana 125cc and it was great craic. A 125 scooter might do the job for ye. Plenty of them on Donedeal for 1000-1500 in decent condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

KonFusion wrote: »
    40 min on what type of roads?

Tonnes of 125/250 cruisers out there 2nd hand for little money.

Nice on style, V twin sounds lovely, cheap to run, cheap to fix and cheap to insure.

I've a small cc Yamaha Dragstar myself and it's very handy around town, will handle almost any road (struggles a bit on motorways), looks like a bigger bike and is surprisingly decent handling. Plus the saddlebags would be handy for carrying in books etc to class should you need to.

Are small cruisers V twins? I always thought that they were single cylinder with a fake 2nd. OP might be a bit tall for a low cc cruiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Del2005 wrote: »
    Are small cruisers V twins? I always thought that they were single cylinder with a fake 2nd. OP might be a bit tall for a low cc cruiser.

Well it looks and sounds like a V twin (albeit a small one), and is listed in the manual as a SOHC, air cooled, V-twin. Don't think it matter tbh, it still sounds nice for a small capacity bike.

I'm 6ft and it suits me fine. Had a few spins before on an Rebel 250 and it was grand too. Didn't feel cramped, though I was sat back a little further in the seat than was probably intended.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Have you passed your driving test? Do you have an A2 licence?

I would get something like a restricted CB500, SV650 or Bandit 600.

A 125 will get boring quick.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Have you passed your driving test? Do you have an A2 licence?

I would get something like a restricted CB500, SV650 or Bandit 600.

A 125 will get boring quick.
    I've a2 licence yes

• Advertisement

Will be driving thorough all kinds of roads

Lew94 wrote: »
    Will be driving thorough all kinds of roads

Get a bike that has at least 35kw and make the most of your A2 licence.

Just like to say thank you for all your information everyone submitted it helps alot

http://a2bikes.co.uk/browse
    This is a good database for A2 compliant bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Started on a GS500 and it did the job, no botha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

City Spares have a sale on this weekend, they have too much stock so it needs to go, get in there and pick up something decent under your budget ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

I started on a 125 varadero, I had to stay under the 125 and found that rather than a restricted bike. I loved it! If I mainly drove in a city I would still have it. But I didn't, and out the county it was a heavy bike that loved 90km per hour, but was not so fond of 100. If it had a 250 instead of the 125 it would be perfect. But it didn't. I never got people's advice to get bigger or you will get bored.I never got bored of it, and only changed to stop people driving right up behind me on rural road. Then I bought a bandit, and suddenly understood what they ment.
    There are some great suggestions here, take them on board, do some research. Its hard buying a bike because you don't tent to get to test drive too many. That where this advice is great, but what some love you might hate, it's not easy.good look with it, hope you get the perfect bike first go. But you might not. stick with it and you will find what will make you smile everytime you start it.

Advertisement