Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolute Bare Bones Budget Micro Build

Options
  • 29-05-2016 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey all,

I do a lot of online security work, and have been using some VMs up until now to run/wipe/reset instances of Linux.

That's fun and works perfect, but I've been toying lately with getting a separate physical box to do this (mostly for the craic). The challenge I've set myself here is go as cheap as possible and as small as possible both at the same time.

I've two questions. 1) Now that hardwerversand has buggered off into the great unknown, where's the best place to get parts? And 2) I've managed to get this down to about 300 bucks on amazon.co.uk, I'll post the specs later (typing this on my phone as I'm in London for the weekend, travelling back today), can anyone suggest a build that would come in lower then that?

As an aside..... Raspberry Pis -> Yea yea I know whatever. Looking for something more substantial than that.

1. What is your budget? Below 300 (including shipping) is the goal!

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Internet/Storage.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No, gonna use Linux.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? GTX660 and a wireless card who's brand I can't remember off the top of my head. Would like to be able to include the GTX as it'd be a cost saver while giving the whole thing a boost, so while I'm going as mini as possible, it does have to fit the card. Wireless card -> Meh, I really intend to use Ethernet.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Nah bro, got the keyboard/mouse/whole package.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Sure am. Never tried but heck, let's give it a go!

8. How can you pay? Most ways? Paypal would be a preference tho.

9. When are you purchasing? Ah, whenever tbh.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I won't need help with this. :)

Note: I would like to go AMD AM3+ route here, my other machines a beast with an AMD CPU, but the general thought here is that as I upgrade the main machine, parts would go into this one, hence it would be nice to be able to fit it with an AMDFX in the future.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'm not really a good person to answer something like this but I did go to part picker and throw some stuff together for that budget.

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/cJ4J7h

(Used German partpicker to see a euro price while picking stuff)

Advertisement