Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC build for home office and CAD, advice please

Options
  • 29-05-2016 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Computer calved last night so need a replacement, any advice in terms of spec and where to buy parts is greatly appreciated. Reasonably competent but by no means an expert when it comes to building.

Here goes

1. What is your budget? [€850]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [home office, internet, AutoCAD

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes, windows 7 pro]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [20']

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    N/A

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? keyboard & mouse

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser/paypal]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 10-20 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? N/A

Thanks in advance.
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (€140.50 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard (€80.99 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€61.13 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (€71.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: PNY Quadro K620 2GB Video Card (€162.86 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: BitFenix Nova ATX Mid Tower Case (€40.69 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€44.24 @ Mindfactory)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (€16.60 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Pro SP1 DE (64-bit) (€131.02 @ Mindfactory)
    Monitor: Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor (€98.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €847.86
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-30 13:41 CEST+0200

(example build list - can save a few bob here and there, e.g. cheaper GPU

Any reason you can't use any old PC parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Hi,
    Thanks for taking the time to help. My current computer is a laptop (first generation core i3 dell) and to be honest has been struggling for a while now.

For a few extra bob, say up to €1,000, is there anything on the list you would change?
    Regards,
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

What sort of CAD are you doing and plan to be doing? Is it 2D or 3D and do you do much rendering? Is the hard drive salvageable from the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Hi,
    CAD work is pretty much all basic 2D. On the laptop hard drive, I have secured all files and docs on it but had to reinstall windows, meaning I've lost all applications etc installed. It's been glitchy for a while, so I wouldn't consider the laptop HDD reusable at all.
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

landcrzr wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks for taking the time to help. My current computer is a laptop (first generation core i3 dell) and to be honest has been struggling for a while now.

For a few extra bob, say up to €1,000, is there anything on the list you would change?
    Regards,
    J

Could add an SSD boot drive, add a basic mouse/keyboard combo (forgot it!), and maybe a 1200p (1920x1200) monitor; but with a large part of the budget going on (legit) Windows license & other hardware, there's not enough to go to an Intel Xeon setup IMHO.

The next GPU step down is the Quadro K420, aka the "entry-level" workstation card (K620 would be "performance"); would save €50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

If it is only basic 2D work you are doing for the moment, I would be inclined to ditch the graphics card for the moment and get 2 monitors instead. If the need arises that you start doing 3d work then look at getting a Quadro card then.

Also I would go for an i5-4690 (or i5-6600 if you want DDR4 RAM) build over an AMD build. The single thread performance is much better and should lend itself better to CAD. However it is more expensive.

Someone else maybe better placed to do up a spec for that as I haven't looked at pricing in a while. Also if you don't put

Advertisement