Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free male cat neutering from 30th March to 6th June

• 29-05-2016 11:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭

I hope it's OK to post this here. Just cats vets is a cats only vet practice in Clonsilla and they are taking part in the 100 cats challenge, which is to neuter 100 male cats in a week and it's free. So no excuse not to neuter now.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Fair bloody play to them :)
    I hope other vet practices take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Oh wow fantastic! I might take them up on this. I have a stray male cat that has adopted us recently and he's def not neutered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Oh wow fantastic! I might take them up on this. I have a stray male cat that has adopted us recently and he's def not neutered.

Absolutely. It's awful that so many people don't think to neuter a stray male cat, I'm not attacking you personally, I just mean that I've met a lot of people who are very kindly feeding stray male cats but won't pay to have them neutered, probably because they aren't likely to bring a litter of kittens home. Neutering makes for a healthier happier cat.:)

Oh absolutely. I knew as soon as he started setting up permanent shop in my back garden that I would be obligated to get him done, so this offer is just extra handy as it's near enough to me and I'm a bit tight for cash (esp since I'll have to buy carrier etc to transport him in).

What's the story with recuperation? How long does it take before I could let the cat out again? I'm away twice over the next week with family stuff, and I wouldn't schedule the appointment if recuperation time overlaps with them. Not sure how he'd react to being kept in doors either, and I know I'll have to fast him for a bit beforehand too...which will mean a sleepless night for me I'm sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

scream wrote: »
    I hope it's OK to post this here. Just cats vets is a cats only vet practice in Clonsilla and they are taking part in the 100 cats challenge, which is to neuter 100 male cats in a week and it's free. So no excuse not to neuter now.:)
    Good news.
    A scheme like this is the incentive some people need to actually *do* something about the random toms that regularly walk through their gardens.

Pass the info on so that more people can take advantage of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Oh absolutely. I knew as soon as he started setting up permanent shop in my back garden that I would be obligated to get him done, so this offer is just extra handy as it's near enough to me and I'm a bit tight for cash (esp since I'll have to buy carrier etc to transport him in).

What's the story with recuperation? How long does it take before I could let the cat out again? I'm away twice over the next week with family stuff, and I wouldn't schedule the appointment if recuperation time overlaps with them. Not sure how he'd react to being kept in doors either, and I know I'll have to fast him for a bit beforehand too...which will mean a sleepless night for me I'm sure...

If the cat is a kitten only a few months old, odds are he will barely notice he's been snipped. I had mine done at thirteen weeks (I'm an advocate of pediatric spay/neuter for cats) and he was eating and running and playing as soon as the anesthetic wore off. When I took an adult tom (twelve months) in, he was snipped in the morning and fine by evening, and we took a bit of extra care with the litter box over the next week--clean pellet litter, no sharing with the other cats. The little one was too small to make fast before the surgery, but he did fine; the vet who did my big cat said nothing about fasting (this was in another country and about a decade ago though) and he was also fine. The actual surgery takes five minutes if you do it slowly. :)

I'm not in Dublin, but any time I've brought cats in they've always been brought in early in the morning and collected late afternoon. He'll be a bit doped up for a few hours when you bring him home so he'll have a good sleep but it's nothing major and mine have all been back to normal by late evening. I'd book it as soon as you can as I'd say they'll book up very fast.

Thanks guys. Waiting on a voucher to come through for the free one, but I phoned a couple of local vets to get details, and they're saying €60-70, keep the cat in from 9pm the night before and fast him, then keep him in for a least 24 hours after surgery to let the anesthetic wear off properly. I don't know how he'll react to being kept inside, but if I accept 2 x sleepless nights I prob won't be able to do it this week. Don't mind paying, I know it has to be done, I just have to plan for the indoors part around work and family stuff.

It seems to vary from vet to vet. Whenever we take ours in for any op's they fast from 7pm the night before and with ferals they ask us to collect the males about 5pm. We've only ever needed to keep the females in overnight, the boys aren't really that affected by it. Your cat might be quite happy to stay in the house but once the drowsiness has worn off he should be fine to go out if he really wants to.

I'm just bumping this so that people can see the offer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement