Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted : Green Grass

Options
  • 29-05-2016 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

I know this has probably been asked many times and I apologise if people are sick of it.

The grass in my garden has a yellow / scorched colour in parts , I'm looking to get it healthy again ,( I have no problem with weeds ) so I want to get something that works.

I don't want fad TV products just something that works as quick as possible and at a reasonable price.

I was thinking of heading to the local co-op , but I'm afraid I'll get something with too high a nitrogen content.

So any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

A picture of the problem might be helpful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭KeshFM93

A picture of the problem might be helpful too.

image30c02.jpg
    image7b1ce.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you go to a coop ask for 10-10-20, it's a real well balanced fertiliser and not too high in nitrogen.
    Little and often is the key with fertiliser.

Mig grass regular and not too short either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Do you ever water your grass in warm weather also like last poster said don't cut to short and cut often. Don't be walking on it whenever ya can help.

Agree with the 10 10 20

Just make sure that you spread it before rain is forecast or you will need to water it in. If not it will burn the grass.

Also spread it evenly over the whole grass area otherwise you'll end up with green patches. Better still to use a spreader for a more even job.

It will look better but you'll be cutting a little more :)

• Advertisement

Thanks lads I'll give it a go , it's annoying me looking at it !

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

where abouts in dublin can i get my hands on this 10 10 20? Ive been using aftercut and its just not doing it still lots of weeds in the grass and scorched patches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That looks like a mix of thatching and drought to me.

Rake / scarify the whole lawn, a hand rake will do fine.

Water it.

pwurple wrote: »
    That looks like a mix of thatching and drought to me.

Rake / scarify the whole lawn, a hand rake will do fine.

Water it.

It's far from a drought where I am :) , but yeah I'll give it a rake , and maybe try airating , I think I've see those daft looking spikes that go onto the end of shoes somewhere or maybe I dreamt it . Thanks for the advice , hopefully in about a month I'll have a couple of nice after pics .

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hiujn

Overseed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I found "Feed and Weed" products were really great. Easily available. But I'm not sure if now is the right time for it. Someone will tell us. I used to use it around Mid April.

Didn't use it this year as I was away and then forgot, but the lawn is very green with few weeds..... YET!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

forget about 10 10 20 which will just promote everything
    Get proper lawn weed and feed which will kill the weeds and just leave the grass.

There is a Coop place in castlebar, maybe both: guessing north connaught something or connaught gold , where u can get that sort of kit

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

forget about 10 10 20 which will just promote everything
    Get proper lawn weed and feed which will kill the weeds and just leave the grass.

There is a Coop place in castlebar, maybe both: guessing north connaught something or connaught gold , where u can get that sort of kit

I know the one by Lidl , homeland or something along those lines , I have the weeds well under control as I type , I was just looking for the cheapest way to get it looking decent tbh .

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

My strategy is a scatter of 10-10-20 to green it up and promote growth. Then Dicophar weedkiller a few weeks latter. A good rake out once the Dicophar has done it's job. Then overseed any bare patches, making sure to sprinkle it with water regularly. Worked for my front lawn and I'm very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Do not use 10 10 20, unless you want the spend most of your free time cutting grass. Use 7 6 17.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Do not use 10 10 20, unless you want the spend most of your free time cutting grass. Use 7 6 17.

Is that just as easy to get as 10 10 20 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

It would be as easy. Some people say not to use either and only use feed weed moss killer. Try what's best for you lad. There is a man in mayo by the name of Davey moon or something he'd sort ya out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

KeshFM93 wrote: »
    Is that just as easy to get as 10 10 20 ?

Yes, any agri supplier will have it.

Advertisement