Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window box without drilling?

Options
  • 29-05-2016 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I'd like to put a flower box hanging from the sill of this window and have it attached to the window frame with hooks or something similar to secure it. Does a ready-made solution exist for this? I'm not at all handy that way and my landlord isn't into drilling things into the wall.

image20160529_120006959.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I think you may be able to use a balcony trough hanger, ready made wire one or some sort of bracket, but it would involve leaving the window open all the time I think, and maby a bit of make and do to make it fit, maby over the lip of the sill may be best, maby somthing like this

deck-railing-brackets-hangers-holders-20.jpg
    gdnwalbrakL.jpg

or the wire equivelent like in the below pic
    31t3SA6b%2BdL.jpg
    have a look here for a few ideas
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-hanger-Verbena-window-boxes/dp/B002QV7478

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

In light of the fact that you are not allowed to drill the sill, perhaps you could stick a couple of hardwood (or treated garden timber) blocks to it with something like Tec7, and use these to anchor your window box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are your sills very sharply sloped?

I put a wedge of cardboard under my window boxes at the front to hold them in place. No brackets, but then, I live in a bungalow, and the boxes are about 1ft off the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Oldtree, thanks so much - that's put me on the right path. I'll make one of those solutions work - even if I have to buy two and hook them together :) securely, of course.

Hocus Focus, thanks for introducing me to Tec7. Unfortunately I'm not allowed do anything to the exterior without approvement and I've just won a recent argument for a security camera so the flower boxes are definitely out :) But I may use it to restrain the kids.

pwurple, the sills aren't very sharply sloped but it's important to be able to open the windows. I don't know why but the picture I attached to the original post shows up as just a link. But you can see it there and as we are on the first floor it would take quite a bit of cardboard to reach us!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I'll make one of those solutions work - even if I have to buy two and hook them together :) securely, of course.

Thats a clever idea, I hadn't thought of using two sets of hangers, live and learn :D

Look forward to seeing a pic of your window box later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Well, I just didn't see a way to make it work so I've gone with a bird feeder instead - which gets another form of nature within view at least. And, the pidgeons it attracts are a good deterrent to the kids below that liked to kick their ball against the walls of people's apartments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Advertisement