Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

references when renting?

Options
  • 29-05-2016 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, first time renter.

Working 3 years and girlfriend is in college.

What references and info can a landlord / letting agent look for?

Stevo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

stevobrian wrote:
    What references and info can a landlord / letting agent look for?

Whatever they want. They'll get it too, so don't hold back if you really like the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Those who will be successful in renting the apartment will have work and landlord references ready at viewing or have emailed them to the landlord or agent prior to viewing. Also proof of ability to pay can be helpful, I've known prospective tenants to provide bank statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

May I ask out of curiosity what would you do if you've never been renting before therefore you can't provide landlord references?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

LirW wrote: »
    May I ask out of curiosity what would you do if you've never been renting before therefore you can't provide landlord references?

I've viewed a few rooms where they didn't ask for a reference. Having a reference certainly helps and give you more options but there are places that don't require them.

The big problem I'm finding is the sheer amount of competition. Every room I go to view there's at least 10 others viewing it. Not to mention ask the places that don't even reply to your emails or are gone before you even get a chance to view it. It's tough going.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Generally agents and LL would ask for:

Previous landlord or agency references (2/3 seems to be the norm)

Employer reference (usually a headed letter signed by anyone in the company will do. Some landlords or agencies ring up HR and ask directly, depending on your HR setup, they will probably decline that)

Recent payslip or bank statements going back X months (redact any information that is not your name and pay details)

If your girlfriend doesn't work then I would leave her off the lease as it would set alarm bells ringing for most landlords, unless its a masters/phd type thing.

Do you not need to tell the landlord if you're planning on living with a partner though? Or is it ok to tell them that but to have the lease in just one person's (who is working) name?

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Your meant to have both on the lease.

Well then how can he leave his gf off the lease because she is a student? Lie? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

The important thing is to have all documentation ready for the viewing. This helps you stand out from the crowd and creates a good impression.

Advertisement