Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer waterproofs question

Options
  • 29-05-2016 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭

Hi chaps,

I'm looking for recommendations for very lightweight breathable waterproofs for gardening in medium to heavy rain, it is fairly active work so I can get very hot very quickly in most coats, my ventile waterproofs are great in the winter but far too heavy for now.

There are so many to choose from and so many variations in price I just want to buy the right thing the first time probably need over trousers as well.

Thanks.

M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

First of all, for gardening you probably need kneepads so if you want them to go underneath the trousers then the trousers need to be big enough for that.

Look into Helly Hansen or similar rainwear for activities.

Softshell is best for moving about but not as rainproof as hardshells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

biko wrote: »
    First of all, for gardening you probably need kneepads so if you want them to go underneath the trousers then the trousers need to be big enough for that.

Look into Helly Hansen or similar rainwear for activities.

Softshell is best for moving about but not as rainproof as hardshells.

Knee pads won't be necessary, the waterproofs are mainly for lawn mowing and other moving activities I wouldn't be weeding in the rain, not a good idea.

I'll take a look at you recommendations thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

monkeynuz wrote: »
    ...my ventile waterproofs are great in the winter but far too heavy for now.

I have similar problem when hiking i.e. I get too hot during summer and get soggy during rain even with breathable type gear, which probably doesn't work too well because the air is so humid.

Anyhow, I find something longish (so as not to bother with overtrousers) and sleeveless ideal in these circumstances. The rain falling on the bare arms is refreshing. I have used lightweight poncho and it works but is a bit flappy and gets caught up in things.. I see cyclists seem to use sleeveless rain coats sometimes.

Joe1919 wrote: »
    I have similar problem when hiking i.e. I get too hot during summer and get soggy during rain even with breathable type gear, which probably doesn't work too well because the air is so humid.

Anyhow, I find something longish (so as not to bother with overtrousers) and sleeveless ideal in these circumstances. The rain falling on the bare arms is refreshing. I have used lightweight poncho and it works but is a bit flappy and gets caught up in things.. I see cyclists seem to use sleeveless rain coats sometimes.

Thanks I'll have a think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Knee pads won't be necessary, the waterproofs are mainly for lawn mowing and other moving activities I wouldn't be weeding in the rain, not a good idea. .

You'd be surprised how damp one gets while working on the ground, even if it hasn't been raining for a few days.

• Advertisement

You'd be surprised how damp one gets while working on the ground, even if it hasn't been raining for a few days.

I have plastic, rubber and ventile trousers for weeding, it's the 5+ hours of walking behind a mower in driving rain I'm more concerned about.

So, I have taken a chance and bought myself a paramo Quito jacket, first impressions are it is very nice and lightweight and the water just floods off, didn't get too warm this morning when walking the dog but haven't used it at work yet, the vents under the arms are fantastic.

If anyone's interested I will update after a week or two of use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Joe1919 wrote: »

I used to keep a Lidl (crivet?) cycling cape in my day bag. It had no sleeves and is really good in driving rain, not so good with a rucksack on. Might be worth the OP looking out for one as it might work well with any pedestrian mower because it would make like a "tent" over the wearer and mower handle bars.

I know the OP has found bought some new waterproofs but you can never have enough :)

my3cents wrote: »
    I used to keep a Lidl (crivet?) cycling cape in my day bag. It had no sleeves and is really good in driving rain, not so good with a rucksack on. Might be worth the OP looking out for one as it might work well with any pedestrian mower because it would make like a "tent" over the wearer and mower handle bars.

I know the OP has found bought some new waterproofs but you can never have enough :)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I won't be buying a poncho from anywhere, I'll stick with coats I think and if the paramo isn't up to it I'll try another make.

Advertisement