Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting into the city

Options
  • 29-05-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I live in Ennis and have been offered a job to work in Galway city centre. It's a bank job that will involve some car travel so I'll need to drive (train not an option so!). I hope to commute to Galway. I won't be moving to Galway. Job hours are 9am to 5pm Mon-Fri. I know it's not too bad to get as far as the Galway Clinic...but what's it like from there to Eyre Square area in the mornings and back again Ennis bound in the evenings? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

It's busy at those hours, especially when schools are in full swing from September onwards. Id guess it will take you at least 30 mins to get in or out of the city centre - longer when schools back. You can park in dyke road for 4 euro per day but that might not be the best spot to avoid traffic in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I know the OP said train wasn't an option but can anyone tell me how much would it be to park in Oranmore station and make your way in?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fsfop

It's busy at those hours, especially when schools are in full swing from September onwards. Id guess it will take you at least 30 mins to get in or out of the city centre - longer when schools back. You can park in dyke road for 4 euro per day but that might not be the best spot to avoid traffic in the evenings.

Thanks for that. Is dyke road walkable to city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Yeah Dyke Road is minutes from everywhere central, I used to park there when I worked in Shop Street.

To get from there to outskirts/Oranmore can take 20-60 mins depending on time, day, weather, etc. Fridays I always find are particularly bad. It'll be a tough enough commute. I used to do a one hour commute to Briarhill so no city center traffic involved and that was bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I'd drive and park by Kingsvalley hotel, then whip out the folding bike and cycle in. When the weather is not favorable just use the bus stop nearby and jump on the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

topcat77 wrote: »
    I'd drive and park by Kingsvalley hotel, then whip out the folding bike and cycle in. When the weather is not favorable just use the bus stop nearby and jump on the bus.
    But won't they mind commuters dumping their vehicles there?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

It's not a hotel anymore. i believe it's a chipper now and doesn't do much business until later on in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's not a hotel anymore. i believe it's a chipper now and doesn't do much business until later on in the evening

It's more than a chipper.

There's a computer training company, which I presume has customers coming and going all day. And another retail unit which is currently looking for a tenant. And possibly some others inside - I'm not sure.

Anyways, if the OP needs the car during the day for work, then I suspect that the boss won't be happy to for them to spent 1/2 hour getting back to the car as part of work time.

TBH, if the job requires you to have a car available during the day, I'd expect it to provide parking for that car.

Thanks but I'll need the car close by as I will have some travel involved from the base of my work

TBH, if the job requires you to have a car available during the day, I'd expect it to provide parking for that car.

There's a multistory that has some available spots for employees but I have been told it's hard to get to in the mornings and parking within walking distance of Eyre Square is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Is there any negotiation on the hours? I have today off and decided to head to town and the city centre was like a ghost town at half 9. I sailed through and parked in the shopping centre.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Is there any negotiation on the hours? I have today off and decided to head to town and the city centre was like a ghost town at half 9. I sailed through and parked in the shopping centre.

No it's 9-5 unfortunately

Advertisement