Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best frozen pizza widely available in stores around Ireland?

Options
  • 29-05-2016 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

It might be my imagination but there seems to be just Goodfellas, Dr. Oetker and Chicago Town, and then own brand pizzas, and thats it - I think its a very small selection considering how many people buy the?
    Any recommendations on decent frozen pizza you can buy in any of the major retail stores, apart from the above list? (I dont like Goodfellas or Chicago Town)?
    Also any feedback/advice on the best own brand pizzas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Centra's own brand one is quite nice I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The Milanos pizzas are regularly half price in Tesco and yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Never had the lidl ones but heard good things, I think it might be a particular range of them.

The large size chicago town takeaway one is good, not a fan of their other ones. I got a smaller size takeaway one and it was just bog standard. The large comes on a black tray thing that goes in the oven with it.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264625916

It does mimic the likes of dominos which many would hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ain't eatin no pizza with the word doctor in the name !!

I like the Lidl pizzas, pimp them up though

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

Aldi specially selected range. They're in the chilled not frozen section. I think they're top class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Dunnes own brand sweet chilli chicken is very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Get a Milano Margarita in Tesco and dress it up with what you like. I just buy a packet of fresh pepperoni and freeze what I don't use for next time. Few jalapeño, delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Lidl pepperoni and mushroom are the business. I think it's the Alfreddo range @2.99 each, but well worth it.
    I can't stand Domino's sloppy pizza's, I prefer apache tbh when it comes to takeaway pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 killer_penguin

Dunno if its widely available but ... Paidrigins Frozen Pizzas in SuperValu around Cork are ... the absolute business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah Penguin, was just going to post Padraigin's. Around Cork, Made in Bandon, where they have a takeaway outlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Highly recommend Tesco's own brand: http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=285363462

I thought at €1.03 it'd be rank but I'll tell you; we absolutely love it.
    It's thin and crispy, the sauce is so flavoursome and the cheese is gorgeous.
    It's 100% nicer than Goodfella's.
    The Pepperoni version is great too.
    Give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks to all for your replies. It seems my initial guess was correct, with the possible expection of Milanos pizza, which I think is only available in Tesco.
    Seems like there might be a big opportunity here for a company to provide decent frozen pizzas to the big supermarket chains in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭cml387

Another vote for Lidl, they also have a range that will rise in the oven

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

Aldi do this pizza. Spinach and Ricotta. Its actually the nicest frozen pizza I have ever tasted. The base is absolutely perfect, and just the right amount of toppings on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I got a frozen pizza from aldi a few weeks back. It was in a black box and was part of their specially selected range(or whatever they call it)
    Pepperoni, chorizo and sun dried tomato. I took off the tomato but it was really good. A little spicy for kids id say but as good a frozen pizza as ive ever had.
    More like a restaurant pizza than a take away. Mighty stuff indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

vicwatson wrote: »
    Ain't eatin no pizza with the word doctor in the name !!

Even though quite a bit of their core range is the old Gino Ginelli stuff rebranded (as far as I remember)?

They also make Chicago Town. Some of the better frozen pizzas out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Oetker

not just a makey up name

Dr. August Oetker (January 6, 1862 – January 10, 1918) was a German inventor of baking powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pojfexcsc

Super Valu american hot pizza is by far the nicest frozen pizza you can buy, pepperoni and jalapenos but done so well, only 2:50 aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Another vote for Lidl's Alfreddo range here.

Do like the Milano Sloppy Guiseppe from Tesco too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

rubadub wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Oetker

not just a makey up name

Dr. August Oetker (January 6, 1862 – January 10, 1918) was a German inventor of baking powder.

The word doctor in a not so healthy food just doesn't sit right with me !! Love pizza just not the ones with doctor in them ! Reminds me of coronary heart disease Ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

3 words every man likes to hear....pizza and beer....mmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I like the Dr.Oetker when they are on special offer at €2. Tesco are the only one who seem to do the mushroom, which I like. The Pepperoni with salad and a bottle of Merlot hits the spot.

Advertisement