Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiping data from hard drive

Options
  • 29-05-2016 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

OK just a quickie, selling my PC got a good offer on it as it is high spec.
    Right so what is best way to wipe the drive, shows like Mr robot have made me paranoid... I know don't judge me too harshly lol.

There is nothing illegal or anything like that, just nervous about old files having card or bank details etc etc.

My question is would a system restore do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jcd5971 wrote: »
    OK just a quickie, selling my PC got a good offer on it as it is high spec.
    Right so what is best way to wipe the drive, shows like Mr robot have made me paranoid... I know don't judge me too harshly lol.

There is nothing illegal or anything like that, just nervous about old files having card or bank details etc etc.

My question is would a system restore do it?
    Afaik the normal factory restore should be enough as it formats the C drive and rewrites the factory partition on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,681 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd use Eraser to be sure http://eraser.heidi.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

DBAN ftw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

degsie wrote: »
    DBAN ftw...

This.

Just not on an older ssd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Thanks guys that's great. Appreciate the input

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

bedlam wrote: »
    Not true in the case of a full format, the data is gone.

No it's not. If you want to trust ms format go for it. The rest of us dban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

As others have said DBAN.

A quick google search, and the buyer could have you data retrieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,425 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

sugarman wrote: »
    It really isnt, I work in IT for a living. DBAN is the only way to go.

We usually shread our companies drives AFTER DBAN just to be sure to be sure

When someone really wants me to remove their data, I DBAN, then whack the living daylights out of it with a sledge hammer and then immerse in a sink full of water for an hour

Job done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

We actually use another tool - can't remember the name offhand but it's essentially dban under another name. Then we shred the disks - I $hit you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I remember some IT guy saying to refomat it with a hammer was the only way to be sure. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

sheesh wrote: »
    I remember some IT guy saying to refomat it with a hammer was the only way to be sure. :D

Have had to do that with a few customers drives - really paranoid about their data. And had to do it in front of them......really satisfying :D

But DBAN is the handiest way to properly wipe a drive - restore leaves too much on the drive.

Yeah I might go with dban as i don't want the hassle of replacing drives etc just want to sell as is.

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Alternatively you could use the built in Windows tool "Cipher" to do a three-pass (all 0s, all 1s, random data) wipe on unused space on the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Drives are relatively cheap. You could put a fresh HDD in for the purchaser and keep your current drive to use in your next machine.

Senecio wrote:
    Drives are relatively cheap. You could put a fresh HDD in for the purchaser and keep your current drive to use in your next machine.

Actually never considered that, not a bad idea at all actually

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Autonuke my friend!!

It's only way!

Advertisement