Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Lanes in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've been cycling through the park for years. Not had a problem with those parking or traffic. Those that are complaining about it. How does it effect you personally.

Except when it's busy with walkers or joggers and people just walk out in front of you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The park and ride nature of the cars on Chesterfield Avenue is inexcusable IMO. There should be no parking on that road, there are plenty of places to park to enjoy the park, 11 or 12 carparks I think.
    The sides of the road could be given over to cyclists and the current cycle lane can be used for pedestrians. They are there already.
    The parking along that road adds nothing to the park, they don't make any money our of it, they have limited ability to add infrastructure for same without affecting the character of the park - the signage needed alone for paid parking would be hideous.
    Almost all the cars from the Heuston entrance to the second roundabout bar the garda cars are park and ride situations. That's inexcusable in a public park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

beauf wrote: »
    Those that are complaining about it. How does it effect you personally.
    there are plenty of things which don't affect me personally, but which i've a justifiable objection to. that's not a benchmark by which i usually decide whether i should care or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

nee wrote: »
    The park and ride nature of the cars on Chesterfield Avenue is inexcusable IMO. There should be no parking on that road, there are plenty of places to park to enjoy the park, 11 or 12 carparks I think.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    There are at least 11 car parks in the phoenix park as it is, possibly 12.

Where are they out of curiosity? Papal Cross, Zoo, Visitor Centre + ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

ED E wrote: »
    Where are they out of curiosity? Papal Cross, Zoo, Visitor Centre + ?

There's 2-3 near the magazine fort. Another 1 over at Mount Sackville side, 2-3 near the furry glen side too.

1 at the cricket ground too.

• Advertisement

Just close the park for a month for all cars. See how it works for everyone.

You might want to warn all the the various facilities and hospitals that are in the park.

They did it before they closed the main road and the north road (the latter for no reason).
    It was lovely and quiet and for months. Far less walkers on the cycle path.

there are plenty of things which don't affect me personally, but which i've a justifiable objection to. that's not a benchmark by which i usually decide whether i should care or not.

Lots of people with no experience of cycling express lots of daft suggestions about cycling because they have no experience of it. They care a lot too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lots of people with no experience of cycling express lots of daft suggestions about cycling because they have no experience of it.
    Many of those get jobs with the councils designing and building cycling infrastructure!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Surprised this wasn't posted already: http://phoenixpark.ie/visitor-experience-strategic-review/

Deadline for submissions is tomorrow at 6pm:
    Observations with respect to the draft report can be made to visitorpark@opw.ie

Now's the time to ask about some pedestrian and cyclist crossings, priority for same at junctions, less through-traffic, making the Park available for cycle races more easily, etc. Or whatever you're having yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Just close the park for a month for all cars. See how it works for everyone.

Would be a great idea, close the park to through traffic at least... Special access only.
    Authorities would have to make car parking available somewhere though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,019 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

buffalo wrote: »
    Surprised this wasn't posted already: http://phoenixpark.ie/visitor-experience-strategic-review/

For something designed by a firm of architects, they seem to have zero clue about visual design - tiny font size, yellow text on white background and hidden text.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Would be a great idea, close the park to through traffic at least... Special access only.
    they did something reasonably akin to this a few years ago when the main avenue was closed for months for reconstruction.

they did something reasonably akin to this a few years ago when the main avenue was closed for months for reconstruction.

I think it was closed for most of year. Even though they only worked on one section at a time. I used to cycle past it, and it was noticeable how little of it was being worked on at a time. Also noticeable how much less busy the park was with recreational users as well.

Did the same when they were working on Blackhorse Ave. They closed North road in the park when it wasn't effected at all.

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Why? Walk to the park or cycle to it. No parking in it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Why? Walk to the park or cycle to it. No parking in it at all.

There needs to be, otherwise you're removing it as an amenity from most families. I live relatively close to it, but anyone from the D15 area knows how "entertaining" the cycle to it is when alone, never mind in a family group.

A good walk around the park, or Zoo, is enough to half kill your kids too without having them walk or cycle home.

By removing parking, or excluding park and ride facilities, it will take away one of the best facilities on that side of Dublin from many.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Make it easy to drive to, hard to drive through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

buffalo wrote: »

Observations with respect to the draft report can be made to visitorpark@opw.ie

Now's the time to ask about some pedestrian and cyclist crossings, priority for same at junctions, less through-traffic, making the Park available for cycle races more easily, etc. Or whatever you're having yourself.

Two summaries of the proposed changes:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/skateboard-lanes-segways-and-even-a-funicular-a-look-at-the-new-proposed-visitor-experience-at-the-phoenix-park-38045201.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/vote-funicular-and-driverless-shuttle-for-the-phoenix-park-have-your-say-1.3869557

they should also allow bike hire within the park (as in a business to operate from the papal cross car park or somewhere similar).
    i suspect the bike hire place at parkgate street would love the chance, would make them far more visible.

Hurrache wrote: »
    There needs to be, otherwise you're removing it as an amenity from most families. I live relatively close to it, but anyone from the D15 area knows how "entertaining" the cycle to it is when alone, never mind in a family group.

A good walk around the park, or Zoo, is enough to half kill your kids too without having them walk or cycle home.

By removing parking, or excluding park and ride facilities, it will take away one of the best facilities on that side of Dublin from many.

If they block you driving through, (as everyone always suggests) it cuts off the zoo for you anyway. You'll have to drive around outside the park to get to it. Same if you want to get to Farmleigh from city end.

If they close it to through traffic that leaves D15 with the single lane Navan road as the only main road into city.

They could close chesterfield Ave and just have an orbital route inside the walls for access.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hurrache wrote: »

Let's flip that. By removing parking, it will improve one of the best facilities on that side of Dublin for many.

It's a virtual car park for too many people. Too many people use it for free parking and head into town on it.

• Advertisement

Introduce paid parking during business hours. Free for two hours. End of problem.

and possibly cap it at a max of four hours. that should be ample time for a trip to the zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If they block you driving through, (as everyone always suggests) it cuts off the zoo for you anyway. You'll have to drive around outside the park to get to it. Same if you want to get to Farmleigh from city end.

That isn't cutting off though, it would still be accessible by car.
    They could close chesterfield Ave and just have an orbital route inside the walls for access.

'for access' implies no through traffic

Chesterfield <-> Parkgate will always be kept open for zoo, Aras, embassy, and car park at the cross.
    Chesterfield to North Road, Ordnance Survey as far as Farmleigh, the road to the visitor centre, and North Road to North Circular could be kept open for some through traffic and access to the amenities in the zoo, but would stop the park being used as a main road and car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

and possibly cap it at a max of four hours. that should be ample time for a trip to the zoo.

should be possible to link car parking to zoo tickets - parking included in ticket price if you are going to zoo, standard charges otherwise

If they close it to through traffic that leaves D15 with the single lane Navan road as the only main road into city.

It depends on where they close though. If access to the park is kept open from the west/north west there's nothing stopping us driving to some point within the park.

Let's flip that. By removing parking, it will improve one of the best facilities on that side of Dublin for many.

It's a virtual car park for too many people. Too many people use it for free parking and head into town on it.

If the issue is with people parking in order to commute, that's an issue that's easily resolved without the detriment to park users.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Maybe for a first date, but not when you have a rake of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭cgcsb

If we were more ambitious about the Park it could be car free. 2 bus routes operated by electric single deckers:

1: Parkgate Street to Castleknock gate
    2: A circular route, North Road, Military Road, Upper Glenn Road

make them every 10 minutes in summer and every 20 mins in winter

Make the buses free to use, have the rest of the park for cycling and walking. Make the whole thing a zero emissions zone, Close the entrances to cars. No doubt the scheme proposed by the OPW will be much less ambitious.

The buses go from where though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I've used the park a lot through the years - for cycling, running, visitor centre farmleigh, rolling down the hill at the popes cross....etc etc.....

I've never really thought to myself - this place would be way better if there werent so many parked cars.

In fact, thats only really ever been an issue when I've been looking to park a car myself.

Advertisement