Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Lanes in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Hurrache wrote: »
    The question I asked is how do you get to those routes you propose.

By public transport, walking or cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's been debated over and over, probably on this very thread. Makes no sense in terms of usability and safety to swap them.

the current configuration doesn't make much practical sense either..

so everyone loses

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's been debated over and over, probably on this very thread. Makes no sense in terms of usability and safety to swap them.

Why?

I am very used to walking in the Pheeno, but with headphones in and off in a dream I very often start in the cycle lane because it is innate, that is where I expect the pedestrian footpath to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

lawred2 wrote: »
    well that's certainly a very valid idea... Would probably need to significantly extend the existing parking in the park though? Would you agree?

Not if you don't want cars in the park. No parking, no cars.

Why?

I am very used to walking in the Pheeno, but with headphones in and off in a dream I very often start in the cycle lane because it is innate, that is where I expect the pedestrian footpath to be!

You're going to have to get used to the idea of cycle lanes and checking for them.
    Park or anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

cgcsb wrote: »
    You make it sound like there is no public transport at all outside the park.
    By public transport, walking or cycling

So like I asked, how does it work in the scenario I proposed to you? I'll loan you the bikes, kids and dogs if you need to try it.

beauf wrote: »
    Not if you don't want cars in the park. No parking, no cars.

right...

So the park becomes an amenity for those that live in Castleknock and Parkgate Street?

What about everyone else?

You make it sound like there is no public transport at all outside the park.

I just think people will park on all the local roads (residential areas) around the park.

You're going to have to get used to the idea of cycle lanes and checking for them.
    Park or anywhere.

Ahem, that sounds very like cyclist arrogance ;)

The point has been made that footpaths are close to the road, it is where most people walking expect them to be. Cycling on the inner path would be safer for everyone really.

But anyway, back to the vehicular traffic, that's the REAL bogey IMV.

lawred2 wrote: »
    right...

So the park becomes an amenity for those that live in Castleknock and Parkgate Street?

What about everyone else?

cgcsb suggests we all use public transport or walk, cycle.

• Advertisement

So like I asked, how does it work in the scenario I proposed to you? I'll loan you the bikes, kids and dogs if you need to try it.

Much like Merrion Square, Stephen's Green, Mountjoy Square, St Patrick's Park and other parks with no parking or car access, you make your own arrangements to get there. You can bring bikes on rail at off peak times, you could leave the bikes at home one day even, or you could cycle them there.

Why?

Because you're proposing to put pedestrians and kids between the usability of the park itself and moving cars. If you have issues now wait until you see what it's like to have kids and pets constantly run from the footpath into the trees and park across you.

What footpath or roadway did you ever expect to find the pedestrian footpath between cycle lane and roadway?

Ahem, that sounds very like cyclist arrogance ;)

The point has been made that footpaths are close to the road, it is where most people walking expect them to be. Cycling on the inner path would be safer for everyone really.

But anyway, back to the vehicular traffic, that's the REAL bogey IMV.

I'm just saying its 2019 cycle lanes are a thing. Its not the 80s.

I just think people will park on all the local roads (residential areas) around the park.

Pretty much all around the park is already pay and display + permits

Because you're proposing to put pedestrians and kids between the usability of the park itself and moving cars. If you have issues now wait until you see what it's like to have kids and pets constantly run from the footpath into the trees and park across you.

What footpath or roadway did you ever expect to find the pedestrian footpath between cycle lane and roadway?

but this is how the park in effect works right now

Much like Merrion Square, Stephen's Green, Mountjoy Square, St Patrick's Park and other parks with no parking or car access, you make your own arrangements to get there. You can bring bikes on rail at off peak times, you could leave the bikes at home one day even, or you could cycle them there.

So we only visit the park by rail, at off peak times. Right so.

All those parks you mention have parking.

In fairness if there is an event on like bloom. The only way to cycle is on the inner path which which root infested. The cycle path is a non runner (lol). Or just avoid the park.

In fairness if there is an event on like bloom. The only way to cycle is on the inner path which which root infested. The cycle path is a non runner (lol). Or just avoid the park.

Don't they stop you from cycling on the lanes anyway?

Pretty much all around the park is already pay and display + permits

Then job done. No parking within 2 miles of the park. Sorted.

Has any one read the plans.

I've loving the cable car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

buffalo wrote: »
    You've never been to the Park during Bloom so.

I have.

Dublin City Marathon is far more disruptive in terms of access.

Would you shut that down?

Don't they stop you from cycling on the lanes anyway?

Sometimes. They try....:D

So we only visit the park by rail, at off peak times. Right so.

Nope, you could visit any time in such a scenario, you would just have to be better organised about what you bring and how you travel.
    All those parks you mention have parking.

There isn't, there's nearby parking that is pay and display, often v expensive, and often there are no spaces.

Then job done. No parking within 2 miles of the park. Sorted.

Only if you don't understand the traffic evaporation concept. Walking 2 miles(are you an american by chance?) defeats the purpose of taking the car entirely.

Nope, you could visit any time in such a scenario, you would just have to be better organised about what you bring and how you travel.

There isn't, there's nearby parking that is pay and display, often v expensive, and often there are no spaces.

No, I can't, you don't understand that, and your suggestions are getting nonsensical.

You can park right outside all those parks. Because the spaces may be in use already doesn't mean they don't exist.

A connection (bridge) between the War Memorial Gardens and the Park was mooted some time ago. Great idea. Often walk from Chapelizod down to Memorial Gardens (lovely walk BTW and great to see the rowing clubs on the water), but when you get to Islandbridge, you have to go round the houses, and cross a busy road (or two!) to get up the million steps towards the Wellington Monument.

Anyway, the current plans are quite ambitious for connecting the two. Hope it happens.

Apologies for the cynicism but will probably happen in 2040 or something.

Someone above mentioned restoring the Silver Bridge from Waterstown to Guinness property in Castleknock. I know it well. The problem is that the land on which access to bridge is, is privately owned. Not much happening despite local Castleknock and Palmerstown groups advocating it.

So much could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I have.

Dublin City Marathon is far more disruptive in terms of access.

Would you shut that down?

The marathon doesn't close any of the cycle tracks or create complete gridlock in the park as far as I'm aware? It gives the Park over to the public for the morning and creates a lovely atmosphere. I'm not sure what comparison you're making?

buffalo wrote: »
    The marathon doesn't close any of the cycle tracks or create complete gridlock in the park as far as I'm aware? It gives the Park over to the public for the morning and creates a lovely atmosphere. I'm not sure what comparison you're making?

Depends where you are. For many it cuts off access to the park and half the city.

Someone above mentioned restoring the Silver Bridge from Waterstown to Guinness property in Castleknock. I know it well. The problem is that the land on which access to bridge is, is privately owned. Not much happening despite local Castleknock and Palmerstown groups advocating it.

So much could be done.

I think that was sold recently by the Guinness Estate.

• Advertisement

Has any one read the plans.

I've loving the cable car.

I haven't. Can you link me up? :)

Advertisement