Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another wheels question :)

Options
  • 29-05-2016 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

Ive got a Raleigh Revenio 1 2015 and by all accounts the wheels are poor.( I can find no reviews) They are RSP AC1.0

I'm getting new tyres and thought that it might be good to get wheels as well.
    It only cost me under €400 so I'm not after expensive wheels but would appreciate some suggestions.

Commuting is my main use of the bike along with some leisure trips so they would need to withstand the fantastic roads we have in Dublin :D

The cassette on it is 8 speed. From what I've gleaned I need a suitable wheel and not all will do. I'm hoping to use the existing components. They've only done 50km.

• Chainset: Shimano Claris
    • Bottom Bracket: Shimano ES-25
    • Brake/Shift Levers: Shimano Claris
    • Front Derailleur: Shimano Claris
    • Rear Derailleur: Shimano Claris
    • Cassette: Shimano HG41 11-30
    • Chain: KMC X8
    Thanks in Advance:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Why do you want new wheels? And how much are you willing to spend? Usually the wheels that come stock with any bike aren't great so it's a good first upgrade if you want your bike to be lighter, faster etc. Expensive wheels will make your bike feel blingy. Cheaper wheels will be perfectly serviceable if there's something wrong with your current wheels and they need replacing.

However if you're just upgrading for the sake of it then it doesn't make a huge amount of sense to replace cheap with cheap (unless you get a good deal on something second hand).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Agree with the above, and wouldn't bother with the upgrade unless the wheels were causing problems. For reasonably priced replacements I found Fulcrum 7s good, with Mavik Aksiums and Campag Khamsins also very popular at that price point. For a few bucks more, Zondas are the first choice for many people, but maybe overkill for your current bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks for the replies
    Its more a case of wanting something that wasn't stock and a bit better than what Ive got.
    The fulcrums are a nice price but unfortunately 10/11 speed and spending huge money on wheels makes no sense unless I get a bike to match ;)

I had looked at the Shimano R501 C30
    I dont know what peoples opinions are on them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bit more bling for your buck with Khamsins which according to the Q&A on the same page will work with 8sp cassette. Well regarded, slightly lighter and IMO way prettier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

smacl wrote: »
    Bit more bling for your buck with Khamsins which according to the Q&A on the same page will work with 8sp cassette. Well regarded, slightly lighter and IMO way prettier.

I have the Khasims and they are a great wheel for that price. But i thought they were only 9/10/11 speed compatible but mine are not the g3 version so maybe different.

Anyway i also have these at only 119 euro which is a brilliant price and great service from 4thebike.
    http://www.4thebike.de/wheels/roadbike/aluminium/12703/mavic-aksium-one-m11-hg-shimano-rotor-laufradsatz

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I went with a set of Mavic Aksiums in the endfrom Wiggle €148 with a voucher for another €13 off, so they came to €135.

There was also another 3% cashback with quidco:)

I'll put a set of gatorskins on these. Fitz cycles are offering free tubes and fitting at the moment buying 2 tyres. €37.99 each

The deal Irish Rover linked to was good but with 18 euro shipping it made wiggle the better option. (I've no idea on the difference with the 2 wheels :))
    The G3's were a close call..I tossed a coin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I went with a set of Mavic Aksiums in the endfrom Wiggle €148 with a voucher for another €13 off, so they came to €135.

There was also another 3% cashback with quidco:)

I'll put a set of gatorskins on these. Fitz cycles are offering free tubes and fitting at the moment buying 2 tyres. €37.99 each

The deal Irish Rover linked to was good but with 18 euro shipping it made wiggle the better option. (I've no idea on the difference with the 2 wheels :))
    The G3's were a close call..I tossed a coin

Either way you would have made a good choice. I think the Khasims are a faster wheel but the Aksiums are probably stronger.

Either way you would have made a good choice. I think the Khasims are a faster wheel but the Aksiums are probably stronger.

The speeds I'll be going, I'm not sure it will make a difference :)

My Aksiums arrived today and I got my LBS to change the cassette which he did FOC :)

I was surprised they came with tyres (mavic yksion elite guards). I had bought gatorskins but I'll leave them on till the first puncture......unless someone gives me a reason not to swap them over !!

Advertisement