Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Switzerland
    Bloody hell, I'm watching coverage of the violence on BBC and it's scary stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

• Germany
    Bloody hell, I'm watching coverage of the violence on BBC and it's scary stuff.

Might sound extreme but IMO they are putting every other country at risk

Waisting valuable police resources on them when the Isis threat exists

Painting a big target on the heads of decent fans too

Fact that so many Irish heading over as well, cases of mistaken identity would concern me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Germany
    Paully D wrote: »
    All 4 games so far have been brilliant. :)

Right, I've either missed a game or I've missed the joke 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Switzerland
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Might sound extreme but IMO they are putting every other country at risk

Waisting valuable police resources on them when the Isis threat exists

Painting a big target on the heads of decent fans too

Fact that so many Irish heading over as well, cases of mistaken identity would concern me

I know what you mean. It plays into the extremist's hands. I thought people going there would have a bit more cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Belgium
    I wouldn't have Rose, Walker, Rooney, Alli, Sterling or Lallana in the lineup if I was Woy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Anyone else has seen that video going round with what seems like an old man with his shopping in his hand getting knocked out by a one of these thugs? Hard to tell if he's Russian or English but it's ****ing disgusting.

Will there be any trouble in the stadium do people think?

• Germany
    Will there be any trouble in the stadium do people think?

Already heard boos from the English fans when the Russian national anthem came on
    Wouldn't be surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When you see the price of a pint down there you would do the same !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It would be nice if UEFA insisted that the broadcasters had to provide a HD service. TV3s picture quality is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Anyone else has seen that video going round with what seems like an old man with his shopping in his hand getting knocked out by a one of these thugs? Hard to tell if he's Russian or English but it's ****ing disgusting.

post it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

CksoEgaWgAAezJ3.jpg

Ian Wright's trousers are very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Russia should not be allowed near any football competition. Their racism, homophobia and hooliganism should be enough for long ban. World Cup should be taken off them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

post it here

https://mobile.twitter.com/LaProvenceEuro/status/741671856437121024

If that link don't work look up @LaProvenceEuro on twitter. Horrible video

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Russia should not be allowed near any football competition. Their racism, homophobia and hooliganism should be enough for long ban. World Cup should be taken off them too.

I agree with ya.

If a sizable section of their fan-base continue this trend of behavior throughout this tournament then a few more calls for this to happen will be made.

Unfortunately the cogs of the decision making machine of the powers that be are not greased by common sense or ideals of what might be the right thing to do, doubt that much has changed even with Blatter and Plattini out of the picture.. Qatar is still going ahead which was a joke of a decision in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

ERG89 wrote: »

Absolutely disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Germany
    ERG89 wrote: »

That just makes me so fcking angry. Only a coward would do something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So depressing seeing these scenes and reports of trouble in Nice as well tonight. A celebration of football ruined by yobs and lagered up morons. Gives the sport such an awful name.

Spain
    I've watched 3 of the games so far and thought the refereeing in the France match and the Wales match was very good. Looked like they were letting the game flow.

I hate when Ref's blow the whistle because a player falls over. 'Buying' a free I think is the term.

Then the England game reverts to the norm. The Ref blew up for anything. Maybe he didn't get the memo.

Anybody else notice this ?

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So depressing seeing these scenes and reports of trouble in Nice as well tonight. A celebration of football ruined by yobs and lagered up morons. Gives the sport such an awful name.

If what is being said by the English fans is to be believed, most of the Russian fans that are causing trouble are sober and here for one thing only. In this case I don't believe it to be drunk morons, but rather extremist scumbags disguised as football fans. I know England are far from innocent now and in the past but these Russian fans are something else, with their racism, homophobia and neo-nazism. I think it's going to get worse before it gets better unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

My twitter feed is constantly filled with videos and pictures of the violence over there, its surreal stuff. Was hoping to go there earlier in the year with some friends but after seeing all this happening im glad we didnt go ahead with it. Looks like france and its organisations will have a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Spain
    It's pretty sad that the football is being overshadowed by the idiots fighting, especially as the first few games have been fairly entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Indeed. Those idiots should be locked up and we can get on with the football. It's ridiculous that these eejits can ruin it for legitimate football fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Germany
    All that optimism by SSN and there pundits wasnt long going out the window after one England game

Ray Wilkins is not happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Strumms wrote: »
    I agree with ya.

If a sizable section of their fan-base continue this trend of behavior throughout this tournament then a few more calls for this to happen will be made.

and then swiftly forgotten a week after the tournament when everyone moves on to the next news story, just like many other tournaments /the olympics etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Apparently trouble between French, Northern Irish and Polish fans last night according to RTE. Though it seems to have been instigated by locals, and its not clear if the NI and Polish fans were drinking together and were jointly attacked or if it was just a free-for-all.

It seems to me the French hooligans (or at least, the ones living in these cities) are a large part of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Apparently trouble between French, Northern Irish and Polish fans last night according to RTE. Though it seems to have been instigated by locals, and its not clear if the NI and Polish fans were drinking together and were jointly attacked or if it was just a free-for-all.

It seems to me the French hooligans (or at least, the ones living in these cities) are a large part of the problem.

Northern Irish and Polish fans drinking and singing together apparently. French Ultras/locals then walked into the middle and started the trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

It's a class thing.

Wouldn't see it at rugby World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's a class thing.

Wouldn't see it at rugby World Cup.

But you also wouldnt see anybody caring. I love rugby but there is no comparison here. Nobody watches or cares about the rugby world cup apart from a handful of nations. This is a much bigger stage and it attracts all the dregs of society to it as the world is watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

England
    So what's the opinion on the teams you have seen so far?

For me France proabably looked the best so far but they look like they have serious issues in defense with Evra and Rami.

Wales work very hard but they look weak in midfield.

I think the best 90 minutes perforance I've seen so far was England but they failed to score enough and look weak in defense too.

Based on the first couple of days I feel we have yet to see the team who will win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Is The Cote D'Ivorie Farmers Journal there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

Kirby wrote: »
    But you also wouldnt see anybody caring. I love rugby but there is no comparison here. Nobody watches or cares about the rugby world cup apart from a handful of nations. This is a much bigger stage and it attracts all the dregs of society to it as the world is watching.

Like comparing apples and oranges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Belgium
    Most enjoyble thing I have seen all day.

A pr1ck with some sort of weapon about to attack some innocent fans gets chaired!! WWE style!!
    https://twitter.com/sylva1n_/status/741664721116495872

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Most enjoyble thing I have seen all day.

A pr1ck with some sort of weapon about to attack some innocent fans gets chaired!! WWE style!!
    https://twitter.com/sylva1n_/status/741664721116495872
    As god is my witness he is broken in half!! :D

Delighted for him.

Belgium
    German and Ukraine hooligans getting in on the general theme of the tournament so far
    https://twitter.com/TerraceLife_/status/742044921150984194?s=09

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Germany
    No alcohol being served around Euro 2016 events. Why is alcohol still so misunderstood? Whether these fans are congregating drunk or sober there will be fighting. Some of these fan only came to fight. Rumours are that the Russian hooligans were all sober.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Peist2007 wrote: »
    No alcohol being served around Euro 2016 events. Why is alcohol still so misunderstood? Whether these fans are congregating drunk or sober there will be fighting. Some of these fan only came to fight. Rumours are that the Russian hooligans were all sober.

Russia, the country where until recently anything under 10 per cent alcohol was just seen as a normal drink, I'm sure they were sober by Russian standards, by rest of world standards, not really.

• Advertisement

Belgium
    Mec27 wrote: »
    Russia, the country where until recently anything under 10 per cent alcohol was just seen as a normal drink, I'm sure they were sober by Russian standards, by rest of world standards, not really.

Or in the words of the Simpsons " Sober, Sober or Irish Sober? "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Is the alcohol ban in the fan zones just for area's where there's trouble or all areas?

Why didn't they just ban the sales of alcohol around venues that would be inhabited by those being involved in trouble.. namely the Russians, English, Ukranians and Germans... you don't needs a degree in social studies here to know who are the people who are the problem and what nationality.

As a result maybe 400,000 fans or more maybe of which a high percentage will want to relax with a drink or two in the fan zone or wherever now can't. I really hate that way of thinking... its ****ing lazy... Address the problem and the trouble makers directly instead of penalizing everyone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

It's nonsense, the Irish would drink as much as most but never cause trouble away. Most nations don't get involved in that type of thing, why not allow those that havn't done anything to have a few drinks.
    I'd stay out of the fanzones and watch the matches where Ireland arn't playing in the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Peist2007 wrote:

Exactly, saw a documentary during the year about Russian firms and their fighting. They couldn't wait to get their hands on the English at the Euros. Was the only reason a lot of them travelled at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

German and Ukraine hooligans getting in on the general theme of the tournament so far
    https://twitter.com/TerraceLife_/status/742044921150984194?s=09

Not excusing it but there doesn't look much in that. Predictably I've seen some English journalists latching on to it in a desperate attempt to deflect from their own scummy fans.

Belgium
    Aidric wrote: »
    Not excusing it but there doesn't look much in that. Predictably I've seen some English journalists latching on to it in a desperate attempt to deflect from their own scummy fans.

:rolleyes: So English journalists aren't allowed to report on crowd trouble unless it involves England fans?

It's pretty laughable people think half the English press want to defend English football in general. They don't,they'd be all for tarring and feathering if they got their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Welsh and Nordie flags are arseways as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Germany
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Welsh and Nordie flags are arseways as well.

Looks like its a 4-in-1 flag thats put up backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Just out of curiosity. The guards and English police that are over in France at the Euros. Do the have the same arrest powers as the French police or are they only there in an advisory capacity?

• Advertisement
Advertisement