Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Belgium
    siobhan08 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity. The guards and English police that are over in France at the Euros. Do the have the same arrest powers as the French police or are they only there in an advisory capacity?

Advisory, and Marseille police ignored the advice offered by British police after day one of the trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Advisory, and Marseille police ignored the advice offered by British police after day one of the trouble.

Well that got them very far !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

The Euro is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

764dak wrote: »
    The Euro is a joke.

It's rallied lately, since the pound dropped with all the Brexit talk has it not? Plus the Frenchies take them in exchange for beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

England
    Cracking tournament so far IMO. The games have almost all been very, very enjoyable.

Belgium
    Paully D wrote: »
    Cracking tournament so far IMO. The games have almost all been very, very enjoyable.

An excellent start, I even enjoyed the Poland NI game. Hopefully all this off field sh*t is finished with now, it'd be great to think people will remember this tournament for football reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

From embarrassing flags to shameful chanting.

Keep it up lads.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xrwZ8EXKJlA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Paully D wrote: »

International soccer has become so much more competitive the last decade. Still a few poor teams but always potentials of shocks. The top teams will still emerge but I can see a team, it may be Austria, making a big impact. 3 very closely matched teams in that group and although I havent really seen anything of Hungary, apparently they are no pushovers at all.

Aidan Power and Jacqui Hurley is an Apres match sketch waiting bto happen.

• Advertisement

Did anyone just see that on RTE 2!!!

Belgium
    Did anyone just see that on RTE 2!!!

See what? (I clearly didn't see it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

See what? (I clearly didn't see it)

Doing an interview with Meyler's dad in a bar in France. Some proper legend came over and I think fell or something. I wasn't really watching. Anyway.... VIRAL!!!! ;););):pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Germany
    Yillan wrote: »
    Doing an interview with Meyler's dad in a bar in France. Some proper legend came over and I think fell or something. I wasn't really watching. Anyway.... VIRAL!!!! ;););):pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Links?

Nm found it ha
    https://youtu.be/uHJcmWUDnYY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

• Germany
    Cheers, bloody mobile not embedding videos correctly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Zebra3 wrote: »

Keep it up lads.

What are they singing?

Belgium
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    What are they singing?

I think it's The German bombers in the sky song, where the raf shoot them down. Just goes from 1 bomber up to 10, same line over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I think it's The German bombers in the sky song, where the raf shoot them down. Just goes from 1 bomber up to 10, same line over and over again.

Jesus wept.

Belgium
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    Jesus wept.

Occasion and alcohol get people to do all sorts. Stupid song but not really offensive in my opinion, but other opinions are available.

Keep it up lads.

Sure its all part of the mighty craic, dont even think about what your singing.

The norn iron fans were probably singing about killings taigs 10 minutes before but no lets join them in singing nationalistic British songs for the craic cause us Irish fans are great lads, walk away and they are pissing themselves laughing at them

the youtube profiles other video uploads include day 500 of the orange order boys trying to march through Ardoyne haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why would Irish be singing that?

I wouldn't even know it.

murpho999 wrote: »

I wouldn't even know it.

Because they are ignorant, clueless begorrah men.

Belgium
    murpho999 wrote: »

I wouldn't even know it.

No idea, as I said probably pissed and joining in because of the occasion. Easy to learn playground esque song.

Don't think if I were Irish I'd be bothered but clearly does bother some, looking at the youtube comments. Wanting to out them and name / shame them, that's very sad and ott.

No idea, as I said probably pissed and joining in because of the occasion. Easy to learn playground esque song.

Don't think if I were Irish I'd be bothered but clearly does bother some, looking at the youtube comments. Wanting to out them and name / shame them, that's very sad and ott.
    Unless youve been up certain parts of the north and how they feel about us "Mexicans" you wont understand, its akin to pissing on your own people singing with these animals. Joining in with their British nationalistic ****e songs makes it even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

England
    There needs to be a law introduced across Europe that men who raise their hands in the air an sing get arrested straight away.

Would solve an awful lot of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

England

Whats sad is that idiots are still singing songs about a war that happened over 70 years ago as a way of winding up people.

Belgium
    Whats sad is that idiots are still singing songs about a war that happened over 70 years ago as a way of winding up people.

I don't think the Germans care. Comparing nations and how they've done since then, I think they are happy enough.

Belgium
    Three very good games on today. Would love to see a Czech Republic win to start it all off but not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Three very good games on today. Would love to see a Czech Republic win to start it all off but not holding my breath.

Is De Gea starting? ****ing buzzing for the Ireland match, currently with a group of 4 Swedes, all over 6'4(not that that is related but ****ing hell Swedes seem to be huge!), bringing them to an Irish pub, hoping I'll have some back up! In rural Andalucia in Spain but heading to the local city so fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

Number 16 for turkey needs to invest in some hair spray, rookie mistake going into a match with just wax/Gel

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sure its all part of the mighty craic, dont even think about what your singing.

The norn iron fans were probably singing about killings taigs 10 minutes before but no lets join them in singing nationalistic British songs for the craic cause us Irish fans are great lads, walk away and they are pissing themselves laughing at them

the youtube profiles other video uploads include day 500 of the orange order boys trying to march through Ardoyne haha

The bombers song is cringeworthy nonsense but this really is a load of sh!te. Away and catch yourself on posting rubbish like that. Mortified for you.

When the drink is in the wits are out and if a stupid song about german bombers is the worst that happens then that's great. Some people getting their knickers in a twist over something relatively minor.

Too many people on this thread spreading rubbish, too many trying to paint this bogeyman picture of anyone who supports NI. Others who have their opinions entirely based on events that happened over 20 years ago.

Times have changed lads. Grow up, build a bridge and move on. The thinly veiled bigotry isn't cool. Does NI and ROI fans getting along with one another really upset you that much? Would you prefer to see a video of them knocking shades out of one another?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Germany
    Apparently a Northern Ireland fan has died after a fall in Nice last night.

Awful awful tragedy for his family and friends. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Belgium
    Nice moment here:

That's lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Italy
    irish fans stood and sung "stand up for the ulsterman" in the 24th min of todays match as a tribute to the northern irish fan darren rodgers who fell and died last night.. respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Belgium
    Why no 2pm game today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Why no 2pm game today?

Oops they forgot.

No, it's the end of the first group of games, everybody will have played once. Tomorrow starts the second games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bloody disgrace there is no early game!

Dear God, TV3 has the worst soccer host, like Ive seen terrible Americans but he takes the biscuit, no personality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Dear God, TV3 has the worst soccer host, like Ive seen terrible Americans but he takes the biscuit, no personality

Is this Tommy Martin or do they have someone else on today? Actually think Tommy Martin is quite good.

Is this Tommy Martin or do they have someone else on today? Actually think Tommy Martin is quite good.

Yeah Tommy Martin, I cant agree with you on this, hes just awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tommy Martin is a good anchor I find. About they only have decent aspect to the TV3 coverage. Their pundits are a joke. Thought I saw Souness on there the other day, doesn't he normally be on RTE ? Maybe they didn't need him this year with RTE not showing every game.

Strumms wrote: »
    Tommy Martin is a good anchor I find. About they only have decent aspect to the TV3 coverage. Their pundits are a joke. Thought I saw Souness on there the other day, doesn't he normally be on RTE ? Maybe they didn't need him this year with RTE not showing every game.

He can be decent but equally he is awful at times. He tries far too hard to get in these silly pre-meditated jokes which often relate nothing to the discussion and it just results in awkwardness.
    His questioning at times is also very, excuse the pun, questionable. He queries aspects which are clearly inviting an obvious mundane response to his target panel member. Have avoided the tv3 punditry really throughout, the commentary today is alright though but it doesnt capture you.

EDIT: Yep, there he goes again with his awful, cringeworthy attempts at humour! Souness looked like he wanted to plant him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Spain
    So, all 24 teams have now been in action, and I haven't seen a single team that has convinced me that they could go and win it. :unsure:

- 2 of the potential dark horses haven't shown up (yet)
    - Spain can't score to save their lives
    - France have good individual players, but don't see a real team
    - Germany's defence appears questionable
    - Italy were the biggest surprise for me, but IMO are def. not going to win it.
    - England were decent, but they can't kill off a game. Not helped by strange decisions by the Manager in terms of lineup and substitutions. Also could be in trouble if they don't win on Thursday against wales.

I hope some of the teams show what they are capable of in the second round of group games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Italy were a great price yesterday, against an overrated Belgium team. Don't understand why everyone is writing Italy off, international football has been pretty poor for some time and they are fairly shrewd operators in big tournaments. Could easily go on to win it and are great value. As good as anyone in the tournament, in terms of individual ability and as a cohesive unit. The wily old foxes will be there or there abouts as usual

• Advertisement

Italy were a great price yesterday, against an overrated Belgium team. Don't understand why everyone is writing Italy off, international football has been pretty poor for some time and they are fairly shrewd operators in big tournaments. Could easily go on to win it and are great value. As good as anyone in the tournament, in terms of individual ability and as a cohesive unit. The wily old foxes will be there or there abouts as usual

Ha, as cliche as a post as I ever have seen !!!:D:D:D:D

Just kidding! But it is the sort of post that you see all the time re the Italians!

Keep it up lads.

Clueless gob****es. Do anything to get a pat on the back and for people to tell them how great they are

Ha, as cliche as a post as I ever have seen !!!:D:D:D:D

Just kidding! But it is the sort of post that you see all the time re the Italians!

They get the cliches because they do always seem to be written off for some reason, and then usually go deep into the tournament and often win it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

It never ceases to amaze me how often the Italians are written off. They never seem to get any credit in the English football media and as most Irish football fans get their news and opinions from the likes of Sky Sports they tend to parrot whatever the English media thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Germany
    Canadel wrote: »
    Iceland and Wales could challenge if they get out of their respective groups.

France are my favourites though.
    While Iceland may well progress from the group stages, their lack of a talismanic figure in the form of a Bale or Ronaldo will stifle their chances of seriously threatening any of the top teams i.e. Germany, France, Spain

Wales on the other hand I still fancy to shock a few people. They are the home nation team most likely to embody Leciester's spirit this season. A solid enough defence and midfield and their star player outperforming plenty of other stars. They just need Ramsay to stand up and be counted and Bale to become the best player in Europe in the space of a week or two!

• Advertisement
Advertisement