Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Canadel wrote: »
    Iceland and Wales could challenge if they get out of their respective groups.

France are my favourites though.

Oh, come on!! Two decent hardworking outfits who I anticipated would do themselves proper proud. Wales look good to progress now, even if they lose their last two games as best third place team and Iceland have given themselves every chance now but challenge?? Come on!

• Germany
    Have to say the majority of the first round matches have been great to watch. Way better than the world cup in comparison two years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,387 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

WarZ wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how often the Italians are written off. They never seem to get any credit in the English football media and as most Irish football fans get their news and opinions from the likes of Sky Sports they tend to parrot whatever the English media thinks.

In fairness by all accounts even their own media didn't fancy their chances in this tournament. Plus there's a long way to go yet. They beat England in their first game in the last world cup and imploded after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Germany
    Oh, come on!! Two decent hardworking outfits who I anticipated would do themselves proper proud. Wales look good to progress now, even if they lose their last two games as best third place team and Iceland have given themselves every chance now but challenge?? Come on!
    Yeah, that was slightly exaggerated for effect. Having watched both teams though, and Ireland too, and even Croatia, I'm of the opinion that Wales have the highest ceiling of any of them due to the Bale factor. If they can escape the group and avoid Germany I would not put it past them to reach the quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Germany
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Have to say the majority of the first round matches have been great to watch. Way better than the world cup in comparison two years ago
    Absolutely. Pretty much every game I've seen has been watchable and played at a decent tempo. Plus some iconic goals and pieces of skill already.

Euros has always been better spectacle than World Cup. In the first stage anyway. I thought it may slightly change somewhat with the expansion but it's not really. There are bound to be a few dismL affairs though and one or two trashing's on the horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Croatia
    Hungary ...the very team that everyone wanted in the play offs..looked like the most impressive team so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

England
    fryup wrote: »
    Hungary ...the very team that everyone wanted in the play offs..looked like the most impressive team so far
    Well I'd disagree, I thought they looked poor up until the red card even though they were 1-0 up. I thought Austria looked poor too.

Hungary were good at breaking the ball up in midfield but that was about all that I seen from them that was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The World Cup group stages last time were great though, short memories? Costa Rica, Colombia, Chile, Spain crashing, Algeria...I thought it was the best World Cup in years.

Not to say I haven't enjoyed this, it's been great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

The Welsh are talking a awful amount on nonsense, I thought it was just the rugby team who acted like that, I guess its a nationwide thing. I still want them to win, but they need to cut out the rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Kicking off again according to the Telegraph.
    5.41pm

These are the scenes as hundreds of English and Welsh thugs roam around Lille screaming "F*** off Russia, we're England and Wales." Just seconds later The Telegraph was caught up in a police kettle as armed officers swarmed and set off tear gas. Bottles were thrown at police before supporters eventually escaped up side streets. The scenes are set to worsen as more Russian fans return to the town centre and darkness falls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Italy
    Any links

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

I wonder how the Irish will react to the Welsh acting up? That doesn't suit the narrative that the English are bad while our British brothers Wales represent what we stand for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Germany
    Mec27 wrote: »
    I wonder how the Irish will react to the Welsh acting up? That doesn't suit the narrative that the English are bad while our British brothers Wales represent what we stand for.

What the hell does Ireland have to do with anything about Wales?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Because Irish people go on like there is some sort of brotherhood between all these British nations bar England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Germany
    Because Irish people go on like there is some sort of brotherhood between all these British nations bar England

No they don't. A minority (and small one at that) might, but even then I don't recall it being a thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Spain

No, they don't.

Italy
    Search twitter for stan collymore periscope ..hes there now in the middle of it,does not look good for later,english n welsh going around looking for russians

• Advertisement

Spain
    Search twitter for stan collymore periscope ..hes there now in the middle of it,does not look good for later,english n welsh going around looking for russians

Boylesports have also posted it on their Facebook as he works for them I believe. Very big group too, not just a handful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,387 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The Welsh are talking a awful amount on nonsense, I thought it was just the rugby team who acted like that, I guess its a nationwide thing. I still want them to win, but they need to cut out the rubbish

Probably comes from having Coleman in charge. Always struck me as a fella who would lick himself if he was an ice lolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't understand why Joachim Lowe made that apology today. It's not as if he was scratching someone else's bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Stan Collymore periscope is nuts. No doubts from that, that the English and Welsh are out looking for trouble and Russians. Scumbags. Massive number of them too. Certainly not a tiny minority. Not in line with the Sky "it's all the Russians fault" narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Belgium
    Clown periscope.

Spain
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Stan Collymore periscope is nuts. No doubts from that, that the English and Welsh are out looking for trouble and Russians. Scumbags. Massive number of them too. Certainly not a tiny minority. Not in line with the Sky "it's all the Russians fault" narrative.

Same line that the few people Stan had a word with near the end of the video, acting as if they did nothing and that the police tear gassed them for no reason, I don't think they noticed Stan was following them for 10 minutes and knows exactly why they were tear gassed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

Can't understand why Joachim Lowe made that apology today. It's not as if he was scratching someone else's bollocks.

Madness, pc world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Madness, pc world

Fair point but Dixons and Argos are probably cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Boylesports have also posted it on their Facebook as he works for them I believe. Very big group too, not just a handful.

Ye seen a video of huge group of English fans chasing them Russian Ultras around the block. As dangerous as these Russians are, they are hopelessly outnumbered, and if the English decided to organise their fans a bit (5 lads go straight for one Russian everytime the Russians attack), the Russians would be in serious danger. But that won't happen, too busy getting pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Belgium
    I'm glad the football hooliganism, especially England's, is confined to just the three threads, anymore might be overkill, three is just right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

England
    Interesting video from Stan Collymore filming the English/Welsh/Russian fans earlier:

https://www.periscope.tv/StanCollymore/1djGXwbMNXVKZ

Say what you like about Collymore, but there won't be (m)any British media getting as close to the action as that.

• Advertisement

• Germany
    Anyone been at the games here have any feedback in relation to the checkpoints / security at the games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Anyone been at the games here have any feedback in relation to the checkpoints / security at the games?

I was at the Sweden game and all i got was a quick pat down and had my ticket scanned we were expecting it to be a lot worse tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I was at the Sweden game too. There was an initial security check on the approach to the stadium. They had a quick look in the bag I had. Then after scanning the ticket there was another security check. This time they did a pat down and went through the bag again. Took about 10 mins as there was a queue.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So both NI and the ROI will be hoping for Croatia and Spain wins today. I guess the ROI will also be wanting an Italy win?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PáircLife

England
    awec wrote: »
    So both NI and the ROI will be hoping for Croatia and Spain wins today. I guess the ROI will also be wanting an Italy win?

True, unfortunately for ROI, most of the 3rd place teams will have 3 points under their belt meaning we will probably need a win to qualify. Which will be very difficult.
    We will rue that missed opportunity against Sweden :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Why are you asking (Claire asks suspiciously)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 killswitx

is it just me or it looks pretty much every game is soo boring too defensive very few really good actions/shots ??? results like 1:0 1:1....jeees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Spain
    No, not just you. I think it has been a terrible tournament so far. Very cagey, defensive, very little skill on show.

There seems to be a real lack of quality strikers and offensive players in Europe right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Belgium
    Yep, pretty tepid overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I spoke to a colleague who brought a bag if cans into the stade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

England
    Terrible tournament so far in my opinion too and also my brothers opinion. The games are so dull with barely any goals.

A few lads here were saying they're enjoying it so far which left me wondering if they're mistakingly watching the Copa America!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Germany
    I think the first and second round of games were always going to be cagey enough affairs. With four third place teams going through it was always going to be a case of teams trying to stay in the tournament at least until the last game. The likes of Sweden, Russia, etc now have to go for it the last game to give themselves a chance.... next weeks games could be crackers!

• Germany
    Why are you asking (Claire asks suspiciously)

Just thought the security was supposed to be tighter. Was wondering how the **** Russia got flares into a stadium but sounds to me like it's pretty easy to do so.

Italy
    all the attacking being done from 75th min onwards ..with the exception of this croat v czech game

all the attacking being done from 75th min onwards ..with the exception of this croat v czech game

England Russia? Ireland Sweden?!

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Terrible tournament so far in my opinion too and also my brothers opinion. The games are so dull with barely any goals.

A few lads here were saying they're enjoying it so far which left me wondering if they're mistakingly watching the Copa America!

Maybe...just maybe you and your brother are wrong and the vast majority are right :D !!

Been a very intriguing tournament. Very hard to predict with great confidence who will win. That's what you want in a tournament. Competiveness takes precedence over showers of goals and trashings!

In my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The decline in the quality of Czech Republic squad since 2004 is pretty stark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

and to think they topped the Group that had the Netherlands. But then Iceland also came from their group and Turkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Pim Pictus

I spoke to a colleague who brought a bag if cans into the stade.

I wouldn't be taking your colleague too seriously in future.

There's a fairly thorough search on the way in. No chance anyone is getting in with a bag of cans.

• Advertisement

12 years! Its a very long time! Look at Spain and Germany back then!

Advertisement