Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Megathread

Comments

• Germany
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Just thought the security was supposed to be tighter. Was wondering how the **** Russia got flares into a stadium but sounds to me like it's pretty easy to do so.

Case and point. Someone got hit with a flare in the Croatia match

It's madness

UEFA are a joke IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

England
    Maybe...just maybe you and your brother are wrong and the vast majority are right :D !!

Been a very intriguing tournament. Very hard to predict with great confidence who will win. That's what you want in a tournament. Competiveness takes precedence over showers of goals and trashings!

In my opinion!

Well a few lads just above your post said it's dull so far too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Well a few lads just above your post said it's dull so far too.

your other brothers maybe!! :D ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Nolito is Spain's 35th different scorer at the Euros, the most in competition history (Germany have had 34 different scorers).

How do Ireland fare in this respect ?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Xenophile wrote: »
    Nolito is Spain's 35th different scorer at the Euros, the most in competition history (Germany have had 34 different scorers).

How do Ireland fare in this respect ?

I think I remember a commentator say Hoolahan was the fourth Irish scorer at the Euros (St. Ledger, R.Whelan, Houghton)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I think I remember a commentator say Hoolahan was the fourth Irish scorer at the Euros (St. Ledger, R.Whelan, Houghton)

Correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Off topic but ex Graun journalist Kevin McCarra is now officially listed as missing - he hasn't been seen by anyone since Thursday evening. He and his wife went over to see some games as a busmans holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Germany
    Just back from the pub and I have to say that Spain were the most impressive i have seen although they were playing cannon fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Off topic but ex Graun journalist Kevin McCarra is now officially listed as missing - he hasn't been seen by anyone since Thursday evening. He and his wife went over to see some games as a busmans holiday.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/17/kevin-mccarra-guardian-football-correspondent-missing

He has been found and is safe.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats the 2nd guy to go 'missing' during these Euros, to add to our own Donegal man too.

What is it with these folk? Are they being reported as missing too easily/early (a symptom of the social media age?).

Guys probably caught up drinking somewhere, off to a party, then a 12hr sleep, and wake up to find the worlds looking for them.

• Advertisement

Well after 24 hours without any contact or observation someone is officially missing, better that than wait a week! By that point most missing people are either dead or will never be seen again (for whatever reason)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

England
    No 2pm game until next Saturday and including that one there's only two more 2pm games left. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Paully D wrote: »
    No 2pm game until next Saturday and including that one there's only two more 2pm games left. :(

Just seeing this now.

For all of the third round, there'll be 2 games on at the same time. Why stop staggering them through the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I have to work so personally happy with this.

pajor wrote: »
    Just seeing this now.

For all of the third round, there'll be 2 games on at the same time. Why stop staggering them through the day?

Is that not pretty standard in competitions based qualifying from groups, to have the final round of games played at the same time?

Just seeing this now.

Seriously, you dont know the answer to this!!!

Read this, probably explain it better than anything!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gij%C3%B3n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just seeing this now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gijón

Just seeing this now.

Because if one game is played before another the teams in the second game will have an advantage - most particularly they could play out a draw to both qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Seriously, you dont know the answer to this!!!

Read this, probably explain it better than anything!

Well sorrryyyyyyy! :P

The penny drops.

Well sorrryyyyyyy! :P

The penny drops.

ha! It is pretty self explanatory isnt it though! And all tournaments and leagues go by the same formula in "final" set of games so thought any soccer fan should know why! I wasnt having a go!
    Its just not a question you hear asked too often!
    The Germany USA game in 2014 is interesting to look at also.

• Advertisement

Can't remember the teams or the year but i remember a cynical Germany-Austria draw to put some poor team out of a world cup round 2. Think the last games on together started the next tournament

Can't remember the teams or the year but i remember a cynical Germany-Austria draw to put some poor team out of a world cup round 2. Think the last games on together started the next tournament

1982, Dijon. From thereon everything changed.

1982, Dijon. From thereon everything changed.

Thought it was a draw but that is the game ok.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A decent win for England tonight would mean NI just need to avoid a hammering against Germany to progress.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Germany
    there was also Argentina v Peru in 1978 where Argentina knew what was required to qualify ahead of Brazil as their game was a delayed kick-off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

England
    England seem to have come in for a lot of praise during the tournament but they ultimately finish the group with 5 points. A last second winner against Wales after being 1-0 down, a 0-0 draw with Slovakia and a 1-1 draw with a Russia side who's only point actually came against England.

It's strange. They've performed better in major tournaments and got more criticism.

Fcuking England. :mad:

One time I really want them to win and they screw it up. That result is going to cost NI. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

England seem to have come in for a lot of praise during the tournament but they ultimately finish the group with 5 points. A last second winner against Wales after being 1-0 down, a 0-0 draw with Slovakia and a 1-1 draw with a Russia side who's only point actually came against England.

It's strange. They've performed better in major tournaments and got more criticism.

Who exactly has been giving England praise? The English press are taking Hodgson to pieces, just as they did to every other England manager before him. No one I've talked to has said a good word about them, criticising them for being too rigid and slow in attack, and criticising Hodgson for his team selection, too slow to make substitutions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Poland
    awec wrote: »
    Fcuking England. :mad:

One time I really want them to win and they screw it up. That result is going to cost NI. :(

NI can still qualify on 3 tho...
    I reckon there is still a good chance
    Swede and Irl won't get 3 points
    And Turk will beat Czch maybe by a goal or if it fin a draw - then sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Germany
    NI can still get thru with 3 tho....
    Can't they?
    Irl or Swd won't get to 3
    And

It's entirely possible they might.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Poland
    It's entirely possible they might.

I dwell in possibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

The Euros have poor quality. Copa America is better. In the Euros, teams like Italy, Spain, England and Croatia are considered good even though they couldn't make it into the knockout rounds in the World Cup. Meanwhile, American teams represented 50% of all teams in each knockout round in the World Cup. Europeans just sit back and defend like cowards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Belgium
    764dak wrote: »
    The Euros have poor quality. Copa America is better. In the Euros, teams like Italy, Spain, England and Croatia are considered good even though they couldn't make it into the knockout rounds in the World Cup. Meanwhile, American teams represented 50% of all teams in each knockout round in the World Cup. Europeans just sit back and defend like cowards.

Have you been drinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Croatia
    i still maintain that it was mistake to increase the euros to 24 teams, it dilutes the quality...and having a team qualify for the second round having only won one match is a joke imo

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

fryup wrote: »
    i still maintain that it was mistake to increase the euros to 24 teams, it dilutes the quality...and having a team qualify for the second round having only won one match is a joke imo

Sure that was possible with 16 teams too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Croatia
    ^^^^^^^

much less likely though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Switzerland
    fryup wrote: »

There have been no dead rubbers so far and every game has had something riding on it.

It's been great entertainment tonight and it means fans have to be invested in more than just their own side's matches. I'm a fan of it.

Croatia are now the new dark horses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Spain
    After tonight's results the right side of the Draw will have Spain, Germany, England, France, Italy and possibly Portugal... some exciting matches ahead.

The left side of the Draw has Croatia, Wales and Belgium...I am sure England will rue their missed chance to win their group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

When will our (Wales) opponents be known? Either Albania, Northern Ireland or Turkey

• Advertisement

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Switzerland
    The father stuck a bet on Croatia to win the tournament. If they go all the way I'll never hear the end of it. Getting worried now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Belgium aren't home and hosed yet either don't forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Didn't see Turkish game but Damien Duff,Didi Hamann and Liam Brady on panel and raving about a left footed 18 yr old winger Emre Mor playing on right wing for Turkey,saying he is a real prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Spain
    Didn't see Turkish game but Damien Duff,Didi Hamann and Liam Brady on panel and raving about a left footed 18 yr old winger Emre Mor playing on right wing for Turkey,saying he is a real prospect.

Yes, he was just signed by Dortmund for some 5 mil. Euro from a danish team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

scudzilla wrote: »
    When will our (Wales) opponents be known? Either Albania, Northern Ireland or Turkey

It's NI or Turkey for Wales. Can't get Albania now. If Groups E&F produce 3rd place qualifiers then it'll be NI. If not it'll be Turkey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

There are some pretty awful teams going through to the knockouts, I'd include ourselves if we (hopefully) qualify. What do people think of the tournament so far? I was into it at the start but now it's just a bit boring. I really think this 3 possible teams from a group thing has diluted it.

Personally really enjoying it. The last round of games has been more exciting than usual. No dead rubbers in any games. Also now one side of the draw is stacked with all the good teams! Makes for interesting games and not inconceivable that the likes of Wales could get to a semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Germany
    There are some pretty awful teams going through to the knockouts.
    Really? Who?

Albania is all I can think of. Hungary too maybe?

Canadel wrote: »
    Really? Who?

Albania is all I can think of. Hungary too maybe?

Hungary have 4pts and Albania probably won't make it through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement