Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Personally really enjoying it. The last round of games has been more exciting than usual. No dead rubbers in any games. Also now one side of the draw is stacked with all the good teams! Makes for interesting games and not inconceivable that the likes of Wales could get to a semi final.

I'm really enjoying it too, which is great because I became totally fed up and disinterested in watching club football and Champions League this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Canadel wrote: »
    Really? Who?

Albania is all I can think of. Hungary too maybe?

Slovakia and NI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Germany
    It's mad how many people backed Croatia... but only state it after they beat Spain :pac:

Edit: 3 People voted in this poll they'd win it. 9213421412 people backed them to win it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Germany
    titan18 wrote: »
    Slovakia and NI?
    Slovakia aren't awful. Neither are NI, though they aren't great. Still they only lost by a goal to Germany. Any team that qualifies for the tournament, let alone the knockout stages, isn't awful. Wales would probably have been considered "awful" before the tournament by a good many.

It's mad how many people backed Croatia... but only state it after they beat Spain :pac:

Edit: 3 People voted in this poll they'd win it. 9213421412 people backed them to win it :pac:
    In fairness, anyone who follows football knew about their midfield talent and how they could influence things. They were unlucky two years ago not to qualify from their group in Brazil and seem to be better now. Perisic involved in both goals too. They don't have enough quality all over the pitch to seriously threaten the tournament though and lack a superstar like Bale. Wales will go further imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

If Portugal v Hungary finishes 1-1, and Iceland v Austria is 0-0, Portugal and Iceland will have identical records. Who gets 3rd? Flick of a coin? Draw lots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Germany
    Canadel wrote: »
    Slovakia aren't awful. Neither are NI, though they aren't great. Still they only lost by a goal to Germany. Any team that qualifies for the tournament, let alone the knockout stages, isn't awful. Wales would probably have been considered "awful" before the tournament by a good many.

In fairness, anyone who follows football knew about their midfield talent and how they could influence things. They were unlucky two years ago not to qualify from their group in Brazil and seem to be better now. Perisic involved in both goals too. They don't have enough quality all over the pitch to seriously threaten the tournament though and lack a superstar like Bale. Wales will go further imo.

I agree in what you're saying in regards there midfield, in fact I tweeted the exact thing a couple of weeks ago.

But what I mean is it's easy to say they backed them after topping there group etc.

In regards going further than Wales. I don't think so.

Croatia win there Last 16 and they go against Poland/Switzerland. I'd fancy them to beat either.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

If Portugal v Hungary finishes 1-1, and Iceland v Austria is 0-0, Portugal and Iceland will have identical records. Who gets 3rd? Flick of a coin? Draw lots?

Whatever team has fewer yellow and red cards qualifies.

Really?! Could well happen. Both would go through though so it wouldn't be as sickening for the team pushed to 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

England
    Well I drew Ukraine in the office sweep which was awful, until I found out they paid €40 for the worst team and they nicely obliged.

• Advertisement

Unless Hungary beat Portugal, if we win(and assuming Belgium don't lose), we're definitely playing France if my calculations are correct!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Unless Hungary beat Portugal, if we win(and assuming Belgium don't lose), we're definitely playing France if my calculations are correct!

You;re a better man than me, I cant figure it out at all apart from that we'd play either Croatia or France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

In that scenario we play Croatia.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    In that scenario we play Croatia.

If Portugal get a point, then either them, Iceland, or Austria will get the final 3rd place up for grabs.

That means we play France. WA, BCEF below

_90027077_euro2016table.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If Portugal get a point, then either them, Iceland, or Austria will get the final 3rd place up for grabs.

That means we play France.

_90027077_euro2016table.jpg

Was referring to the scenario where Hungary beat Portugal. Basically if Group F produces a third place qualifer we play France. If not we play Croatia. (assuming we beat Italy obviously!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Watched the Croatia match in the pub so not in the best state to count, but I think that was a good result for Ireland in that Italy know they're facing Spain and this we're guaranteed to be playing their weakest team available so they've got their first team rested for Spain. So the result was good for Ireland? Or no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It has been very hard to judge how strong the qualifying groups were to judge the teams in the tournament

Group A: (Czech Rep, Iceland, Turkey, Netherlands) seemed like a weak group. Turkeys only decent performance in the tournament was against Czech Rep and Iceland are in what looks like the weakest of the groups.

Group B: (Belgium, Wales, Bosnia) Looked a strong group. Belgium were awful in one game but turned it on against Ireland who knocked Bosnia out. Wales topped their group.

Group C: (Spain, Slovakia, Ukraine) Looked a decent enough group. Spain were Spain, Slovakia look a solid outfit but Ukraine were dreadful and worst team in the tournament.

Group D: (Germany, Poland, Ireland, Scotland) Hard to tell. Germany and Poland drew each other and the worst team in the Tournament in Ukraine. No need to go into Ireland

Group E: (England, Swiss, Slovenia). The 2 advanced teams game second. Didnt set the world alight.

Group F: (Northern Ireland, Romania, Hungary) Northern Ireland have got through but with Ukraine in the Group and the unknown of Germany and Poland. Romania were fairly weak but Hungary look ok (but in the weakest Group)

Group G: (Austria, Russia, Sweden) This is an interesting one. Austria dominated the group but it turned out that Russia are dreadful. We are a bit perplexed by Sweden.

Group H: (italy, Croatia, Norway) Now looks like a very strong qualifying group.

Group I: (Portugal, Albania, Denmark) As we all probably thought, dreadful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Gana be in Marseille the 7th so really hoping France make it through, the buzz there will be spectacular.(ALTHOUGH THAT PLACE COULD IN THEORY BE IRELANDS :D) Spain and England ****ed up badly. Its actually way more exciting than the games appear. That Peresic goal was huge, a golden era Croatia team finally going to win a major tournament :o be nuts with their backline, but rakitic and modric and perisic are quality.

I think Swiss will win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If we were to get France, there'd be nothing sweeter than putting them out entirely unjustly. Hopefully through a dodgy peno after they've had a few legitimate claims denied. Unlikely I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Watched the Croatia match in the pub so not in the best state to count, but I think that was a good result for Ireland in that Italy know they're facing Spain and this we're guaranteed to be playing their weakest team available so they've got their first team rested for Spain. So the result was good for Ireland? Or no?
    Yeah but I suppose the flip side of that is the "second team" of players who will line out will be busting a gut to impress for inclusion in that Spain game and/or the WC2018 qualifying campaign. Many of them will also be aware it'll likely be the only bit of action they see in this tournament so they'll want to do their best with what little game time they'll see.
    Weakest Italian team available still >>> our strongest team.

Haven't really been thinking much about the game tbh, such is my belief that we just won't be able to pull off a win. Probably a credible draw is as good as we'll get.

In any case, best of luck to the lads. Hopefully we can somehow do it, it would surely be our biggest win in a major tournament since beating them in USA '94 if we managed to pull it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ronaldo's losing it - it'll be either a hat trick or a red card next game!

• Advertisement

That's ****ing terrible form, why the **** do these *don't want to use the word* take themselves so ****ing seriously? Chill out, you are playing football. You buy into this life when you start agreeing to take part in movies and buying ****loads of lambos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

England
    image.jpg

Croatia v Spain for teh final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Germany
    WE'RE GONNA WIN THE EUROS!!

excited-baby.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Think I'd rather be on the left side of that bracket

England
    66113e00f92c8429a735044b322206dc.png

A nice slate of last 16 games. The only real unfortunate is that Spain v Italy is a 5pm kickoff on a weekday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Switzerland
    I have to say I'm loving this tournament.

Huge amount of drama so far and some seriously tasty games ahead: ourselves vs France, NI vs Wales, Italy vs Spain, Portugal vs Croatia.

Hope the entertainment keeps on coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

It was Turkey and/or Albania that we effectively pushed out of the 3rd places? I'd say there's no love for us on the streets of Istanbul and Tirana as we speak!

I can't believe there's no football until Saturday....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

One of the underappreciated results of tonight is that Zlatan Ibrahimović, self proclaimed legend, general bellend, is going home. Goalless. Retiring.

Good enough for the arrogance of the man. Don't let the door hit your head/mouth on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I can't believe there's no football until Saturday....:(

Colombia -vs - Chile in semi finals of Copa America tonight @ 1am if you're interested.

If it's even half as entertaining as some of today's football it'll be worth staying up for.
    Chile hammered Mexico 7-0 in the quarters and they're always an entertaining watch. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Germany
    One of the underappreciated results of tonight is that Zlatan Ibrahimović, self proclaimed legend, general bellend, is going home. Goalless. Retiring.

Good enough for the arrogance of the man. Don't let the door hit your head/mouth on the way out.

I like Zlatan as a footballer in general but, bloody hell, Sweden were awful at this tournament, himself included. They got exactly what they deserve - sitting in a group with Russia, Ukraine and Austria arguing over who the worst team at the tournament was.

Funny how there were concerns that expanding to 24 and letting Ireland, N Ireland, Wales, Albania, Iceland and Hungary in was going to dilute the content - it wasn't any of these countries who forgot to show up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Paully D wrote: »
    66113e00f92c8429a735044b322206dc.png

A nice slate of last 16 games. The only real unfortunate is that Spain v Italy is a 5pm kickoff on a weekday.

Wow a quality weekend of football ahead! Nice to have a break just to soak it in and see who's playing who.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Absolutely Epic day of football. Drama the whole way through. Iceland holding on was gripping and then nicking their first win at the end was special. Hungary-Portugal was one of the best Euros games I can remember. I thought the goals would never stop! And then Ireland pull it out of the bag at the death. Wonderful stuff :D

Here NI could be in the quarter finals :O WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Switzerland
    On June 23rd, 1996, the Czech Republic knocked Portugal out of the European Championships at the quarter-final stage with a 1-0 win that featured one of the tournament's greatest ever goals scored by Karel Poborsky. Anyone remember this beautiful lob?

I remember being blown away by this goal when I saw it at the time and 20 years on I think it still holds up really well.

On June 23rd, 1996, the Czech Republic knocked Portugal out of the European Championships at the quarter-final stage with a 1-0 win that featured one of the tournament's greatest ever goals scored by Karel Poborsky. Anyone remember this beautiful lob?

I remember being blown away by this goal when I saw it at the time and 20 years on I think it still holds up really well.

The one tournament before my time, I remember everything from 98 on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Has anyone seen any figures for how many tickets the French have been allocated for Sunday's game?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 twelvetenz

Has anybody received their VEP (voucher exchange point) email for Lyon yet? Any idea when they're being sent?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Will England, Wales and Northern Ireland be asked to leave the euros after the Brexit result? ;)

(I can see the British Championship starting up again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Id be nervous if i was a Wales Suppoter, the nordies are going to put up one hell of a fight 2morrow and would not surprise me if they snake it

Croatia vs Germany final for me i think.

philstar wrote: »
    Will England, Wales and Northern Ireland be asked to leave the euros after the Brexit result? ;)

(I can see the British Championship starting up again)

The Iceland supporters are sure to have a few satirical chants for the game on Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Id be nervous if i was a Wales Suppoter, the nordies are going to put up one hell of a fight 2morrow and would not surprise me if they snake it

Think it'll be the opposite, Nordies will fancy their chances tomorrow, come out and play and Bale & Ramsey will pick them off. Comfortable 2 or 3 nil job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Germany
    kfallon wrote: »
    Think it'll be the opposite, Nordies will fancy their chances tomorrow, come out and play and Bale & Ramsey will pick them off. Comfortable 2 or 3 nil job!

There's no way O'Neill will let that happen. They'll set up exactly as they did against the Ukraine.

Problem with these type of games is that all form goes out the window as it's like an old fashioned British football match. You seen it when Wales played England and shat their pants when if they had have come out and played in the second half, they could easily have picked the English apart on the counter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i know it would turn many an irish person's stomach...

but...wouldn't it be gloriously ironic if England won the Euros after todays referendum result :p

you couldn't make it up

• Advertisement

England
    Portugal v Poland is the first QF confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Understanderbly the three last 16 matches today were cagey affairs but I think Shaqiri's goal was the only highlight.

Awful days none football. Can only hope that's given everyone else a shake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

philstar wrote: »
    i know it would turn many an irish person's stomach...

but...wouldn't it be gloriously ironic if England won the Euros after todays referendum result :p

you couldn't make it up

I have them backed outright, but its really becoming apparent now what a momentous cluster**** it was in them finishing 2nd. The side of the draw Wales landed in is laughable compared to the other side, the only team that looked good so far was Croatia and they are now out! Then again a bigger concern has to be the very average perfomances vs Russia and Slovakia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Croatia
    ^^^^^^^^^

well they do have a handy last 16 match with iceland to set them on their way

• Advertisement
Advertisement