Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^

well they do have a handy last 16 match with iceland to set them on their way

Yep but France/Germany/Italy/Spain waiting in the wings, hopefully us too!

I wouldnt totally write Iceland off they are decent, but England really should win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Croatia
    if they struggle against iceland then they really shouldn't be in the competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sad news for an instant legend

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/26/iceland-commentator-euro-2016-viral-loses-day-job
    The Icelandic football commentator Gudmundur Benediktsson has gone from the high of delivering one of the most memorable passages of commentary at Euro 2016 to the low of losing his day job within four days.

Benediktsson’s commentary as Iceland secured a last minute winner against Austria went viral as he screamed then appeared to suffer an emotional breakdown when Arnor Ingvi Traustason scored a barely believable goal with the last touch of the game.

Soon after the match Benediktsson returned to Iceland, where he works as the assistant manager of local side KR Reykjavik – who have lost five of their past six games in all competitions. They sit ninth in the 12-team Urvalsdeild, Iceland’s top division, and the latest defeat, a 2-1 loss to the 10th-placed Iþrottabandalag Akraness on Thursday was the final straw for the club. Benediktsson and the manager Bjarni Gudjonsson Eggert have now left their posts after agreeing with the chairman, Kristinn Kjærnested, that performances have been unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

England
    So today brings an end to our 3 games a day, and after tomorrow it'll be 1 game a day for the duration. Also, we will have a break of 3 days with no action between tomorrow and the QF, 2 days of no action between the QF and SF, and 3 days of no action between the SF and Final. :(

All of the below kick-offs are 8pm, which is good news for those working during the day.

QF's:
    Poland v Portugal (Thursday 30th June)
    Wales v Belgium (Friday 1st July)
    Germany v Italy/Spain (Saturday 2nd July)
    France v Iceland/England (Sunday 3rd July)

SF's:
    Poland or Portugal v Wales or Belgium (Wednesday 6th July)
    Germany or Italy or Spain v France or Iceland or England (Thursday 7th July)

Final:
    Sunday 10th July

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Paully D wrote: »
    So today brings an end to our 3 games a day, and after tomorrow it'll be 1 game a day for the duration. Also, we will have a break of 3 days with no action between tomorrow and the QF, 2 days of no action between the QF and SF, and 3 days of no action between the SF and Final. :(

All of the below kick-offs are 8pm, which is good news for those working during the day.

QF's:

SF's:

Final:
    Sunday 10th July

I'll be in Marseille for the semi final, hopefully its Les Bleus vs las rojas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

QF's:

SF's:

Final:
    Sunday 10th July

Looking at that you'd have to fancy Belgium to reach the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

England
    Kante and Rami for France and Vermaelen for Belgium the only players suspended for the QF's at the moment I believe, though all will be significant losses.

Tomorrow will be interesting as Barzagli, Bonucci, Buffon, Chiellini, De Rossi, Éder, Insigne, Motta, Sirigu and Zaza are a caution away from missing a potential QF for Italy while Ramos is the only Spaniard in danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Kante and Rami for France and Vermaelen for Belgium the only players suspended for the QF's at the moment I believe, though all will be significant losses.

Tomorrow will be interesting as Barzagli, Bonucci, Buffon, Chiellini, De Rossi, Éder, Insigne, Motta, Sirigu and Zaza are a caution away from missing a potential QF for Italy while Ramos is the only Spaniard in danger.
    I think Italy will win vs Spain , but Germany must be licking their lips at that line up of potential suspensions in what will probably be a niggly game tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is there a 3rd place play off to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Germany

QF's:

SF's:

Final:
    Sunday 10th July

Is it not a 2 day break between every round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is there a 3rd place play off to this?

No.

Croatia
    Belgium looking good,

Hazard absolutely another class tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Germany
    Canadel wrote: »
    Iceland and Wales could challenge if they get out of their respective groups.

France are my favourites though.
    I only wish I had put more money on some of their respective matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Anybody else hoping for a Portugal Iceland final?

See how they celebrate if they actually win the thing. A lot of similarities with the Greece team, imo. Very hard-working and organised. Know how to take their chances and see games out.

Anybody else hoping for a Portugal Iceland final?

See how they celebrate if they actually win the thing. A lot of similarities with the Greece team, imo. Very hard-working and organised. Know how to take their chances and see games out.

Very similar but I'd argue that was in an era where a lot of teams were **** or failed to live up to potential. There are better international teams now than back then imo. Look how the draw opened up in 04, Germany, Italy, Spain were all eliminated early and shadows of the teams in Spain and Germany that they would become over the next 5 years. France were still in a rut after their 02 shocker.

You have Germany and France standing in the way of a potential final. It is literally the insurmountable task.

Croatia
    anyone feel sorry for England ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

fryup wrote: »
    anyone feel sorry for England ?

Seems to me that people were, as usual, delighted that England made an exit. Is this because they simply don't like the English team or just because the team displayed a poor attitude? Hard to know, I suppose.

briany wrote: »
    Seems to me that people were, as usual, delighted that England made an exit. Is this because they simply don't like the English team or just because the team displayed a poor attitude? Hard to know, I suppose.

Did the team display a poor attitude? I'm not seeing it, they belt out the anthem, they pushed Slovakia and Wales for 90 minutes, one of them they didn't have the guile required, the other they got a 90th minute winner. The effort thing is a coping mechanism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Germany
    It's the same old silly historically nationalistic notions that many Irish people cannot seem to move on from. And many of the same people probably make fun of the English for leaving the EU due to the same nationalistic notions. Hilarious, hypocritical, and ultimately pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I normally don't give a cr*p about the English football team, but then I imagined what Nigel Farage's face would look like if they won the thing.

I also looked at the complete dismissal of a good Icelandic team who beat the Netherlands twice in qualifying and were unbeaten in their group, with all pundits delighted they had avoided Portugal. Danny Mills and Rio Ferdinand were pretty much laughing at them and talking about the France game. Every one of my English friends had the same attitude

Thirdly, there's the absolutely shameful behaviour of their fans at the Euro's. I know its a minority, but they're absolute sc*mbags

So yes, I think its brilliant that they were beaten. Mainly because Iceland are the story of the tournament, but also because of the reasons listed above. Only person I feel sorry for is Roy Hodgson who seems like a decent man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Germany
    Only person I feel sorry for is Roy Hodgson who seems like a decent man

Would you feel sorry if your boss was sacked for not knowing how to do his job ? :pac:

I don't have any sympathy for Roy. He didn't even know his best XI and when things were dodgy it was throw on as many strikers as possible and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Would you feel sorry if your boss was sacked for not knowing how to do his job ? :pac:

I don't have any sympathy for Roy. He didn't even know his best XI and when things were dodgy it was throw on as many strikers as possible and hope for the best.

I'd feel sorry for my boss if he was to be publicly ridiculed for the rest of his career on the back of not doing his job right. That said, Roy earned a fortune for the privilege. And to be honest, the list of replacements is much more depressing if you're an England fan

Spain

How many reasons do you want ?

The two countries history is enough for most people. Sad but true.

We are subjected to their sports media more than most and that content is also annoying.

The main reason for me is the powers that be. For some reason they thought Hodgson was a better option than Rednapp. Crazy decision and they got what they deserved - mediocrity.

People have a laugh at Harry but he is a fantastic man manager and morale/confidence builder and was far and away the best man for that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

What I find hilarious is that the very people who celebrated England's exit from Euro 2016 the most will be the same people who'll be glued to their TV's from the middle of August onwards eating, drinking and sleeping the Premiership, and talking about Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool etc in the collective "we". Hypocritical doesn't even come close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Germany
    What I find hilarious is that the very people who celebrated England's exit from Euro 2016 the most will be the same people who'll be glued to their TV's from the middle of August onwards eating, drinking and sleeping the Premiership, and talking about Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool etc in the collective "we". Hypocritical doesn't even come close.

What I find hilarious is that people can't tell the difference between club football and a national rivalary.

Nobody has a problem with the Premiership. The issue lies in the National team, and people don't want their nearest rivals to do well.

It's pretty simple tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

It's comical to be honest. These same posters believe that the English clubs are the best in the world and that other leagues don't compare. I've actually received an infraction for suggesting Juventus are a more accomplished team than Man United.

The German teams, the Italian teams they don't compare apparently. Funnily the only other teams that get respect are Spanish.

Now what leagues do Sky Sports cover again???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

you are the first person who ever made this comment! You may have a point!

Its a tired argument! And one thatis very weak for many reasons. I don't cheer nor jeer England, I was actually really disappointed they didnt gel as a team. But I definitely was rooting for the underdog, Iceland.

I support Utd. and have no affiliation to English national team. I like seeing ?Rooney perform, was delighted to see Smalling making his mark as first choice, distraught for Shaw, and so excited for Rashford, given the magic of it all.

But England and Ireland as national teams are close proximity rivals. If a rivalry can't be sustained by being happy when the other team loses, then what is the point. They are built up as a far superior set of players than us by media outlets over the last decades and decades.

Many Irish live in London, studied in Birmingham have married an English person..... doesnt mean they cant be happy when their rival team loses! Man Utd. arent Ireland's rivals, England are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Anyone see that video on Snapchat of Sterling showing off his house, showing off a diamond encrusted sink and stuff. If there's one bloke who embodies the problems in English football it's that clown, Vastly overrated and overpaid and zero class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Who's been the "break out" player this tournament you reckon? Giaccherini has really surprised me. Thought he has been sublime this tournament.

Could argue Robson Kanu and Jeff Hendrick have broke out in their own way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Anyone think that UEFA will rescind the yellow cards after all the quarter finals have been played.
    Otherwise, we'll be watching the coaching staff on the pitch by the time we get to the Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

England
    Anyone think that UEFA will rescind the yellow cards after all the quarter finals have been played.
    Otherwise, we'll be watching the coaching staff on the pitch by the time we get to the Final.

It's a ridiculous rule.

The player should really make a stand and ask for something to change.I would say all cards should be rescinded after the last 16.Carry a yellow from the first game meaning you could miss the final is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Switzerland
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Who's been the "break out" player this tournament you reckon? Giaccherini has really surprised me. Thought he has been sublime this tournament.

Could argue Robson Kanu and Jeff Hendrick have broke out in their own way.

Renato Sanches came in with a big rep after his Bayern move and I've been surprised at how composed he has been at just 18.

I was also impressed with Kleinheisler of Hungary. They missed his presence for the Belgium game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hell4leather

Sanches is something special, he will be the difference in the Wales game. Looking forward to seeing how he will fit into the Bayern team.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Anyone see that video on Snapchat of Sterling showing off his house, showing off a diamond encrusted sink and stuff. If there's one bloke who embodies the problems in English football it's that clown, Vastly overrated and overpaid and zero class.

It's his mother's house apparently. He bought it for her for raising him on her own after his da was murdered when he was nine, that's the latest story anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Cards actually are rescinded after the quarter finals, been that way since Euro 2008.
    So anyone with one yellow is reset to zero.
    Carry a yellow from the first game meaning you could miss the final is ridiculous.

This can't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

England
    Cards actually are rescinded after the quarter finals, been that way since Euro 2008.
    So anyone with one yellow is reset to zero.

This can't happen.

Didn't realise it had been reset.

In that case the rule is fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Since 1978, France are the only hosts to win either the Euros (82) or World Cup (98). Before that it was extremely regular.

I have a feeling, after watching Germany last night, this tournament is destined for them. Heading to bookies tomorrow. Odds wont be great sadly after tonight but will lump on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

https://twitter.com/ruvithrottir/status/750062540605054976/video/1

Iceland got the welcome home it deserved in Reijkjavik.

Think everybody showed up

Better/longer version:

https://vid.me/yaR8

Croatia
    ^^^^^^^^^

its their italia 90, good for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Why are people convinced there's a 3rd/4th playoff for the euros ??? It's only the world cup which has that

A pub I knw has it down on there weekend sporting list (they still have Mcgregor dwn to fight at UFC 200 lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Probably advertising "free beer during the play off for 3rd/4th place"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Of the 3 Euro finals Ireland has participated in, this is the first time that both finalists haven’t played Ireland.
    Holland vs USSR (1988), Spain vs Italy (2012) and France (2016). Portugal this year being the odd one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Switzerland
    syngindub and myself were the only ones to go for Portugal in the poll. :cool:

Been a lot of criticism about the tournament but I really enjoyed it, although I agree the final was dull. But I'll take away a lot of fond memories from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then it's over a team that could only win two game in normal time won the tournament

24 teams was not clever - it needs to be a divisible number but there's no way UEFA will give up the expanded format which was worth millions in extra revenue for them in the finals alone.

The standard of play was poor in terms of attack and flair - safety first second and third bar a few delightful flourishes in games like Belgium 1 - 3 Wales but for the most part caution was the theme.

Only a few outfield players caught the eye - Bonucci, Griezmann, Kuba, Ramsey among them. Plenty of star names disappointed - Lewandowski, Kane, Gotze, Payet (after a bright start), Pogba, Hazard.

Spain were crap, England were worse than crap Belgium never became the sum of their parts but Wales and Iceland brought some under-dog delight

Finally I salute Gábor Király and his sweaty trackie pants

3547574700000578-0-image-a-1_1465999881832.jpg

• Germany
    So depressing when a tournament ends!!

It's been a great month for footie

Sad to see the legend Giles finish up
    End of an era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Spain
    For me, the tournament dipped more than it should have in terms of excitement when Ireland went out. Iceland against England was great, and I missed Wales v Belgium but too many of the other games that should have been exciting weren't. The average amount of goals in 90 minutes of games has to be very low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

2.12 goals per game. Lowest since Euro 96.

Euro 2000 was 2.74 and the last 3 have been around 2.45 per game.

In rough numbers we probably saw 17 goals less than would be anticipated.

Croatia
    24 teams made the tournament too bloated & long

16 was perfect

• Advertisement

Croatia
    So then it's over a team that could only win two game in normal time won the tournament

one game (semi v wales)

Advertisement