Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on leaving accommodation?

Options
  • 29-05-2016 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've not been in this situation before, so apologies if the answer is obvious, but it may not be.

Started working in Dublin recently and it all came about fairly quickly, so moved in to a new place. Not the best place to be honest, and I'd like to think I won't see the full year there!

I don't have contract to hand, so can't recall what the minimum is. (e.g. must stay for a minimum of 6 months)

Say, for example, I wanted to move to another place in a few months. Do I lose the deposit? Or if I had someone to take my place, then it wouldn't matter.

Say, you sign a 1 year agreement. If you move out before then, your deposit goes right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

seachto7 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've not been in this situation before, so apologies if the answer is obvious, but it may not be.

Started working in Dublin recently and it all came about fairly quickly, so moved in to a new place. Not the best place to be honest, and I'd like to think I won't see the full year there!

I don't have contract to hand, so can't recall what the minimum is. (e.g. must stay for a minimum of 6 months)

Say, for example, I wanted to move to another place in a few months. Do I lose the deposit? Or if I had someone to take my place, then it wouldn't matter.

Say, you sign a 1 year agreement. If you move out before then, your deposit goes right?

Yes you should check the contract to say what it says, it may have a break clause. However if you signed the standard 12 month lease this is unlikely. You have the right to reassign the lease to someone else once they are a reasonable replacement for you, would meet all the relevant criteria that you did. The landlord has to accept this person but can't refuse once they are a reasonable replacement. Otherwise you are liable for the rent payment for the remainder of the 12 months and can be pursued for same through the prtb. No lawful reason you should loose your deposit once you follow above and reassign the lease. Are you the only person on the lease/ is the lease between you and landlord or you and a head tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well, it turns out I haven't signed a contract yet. I signed a form to say I'd be moving in, and I've paid a deposit.

It would be unethical of me to bail, but it's an unethical world!

I've been there a few months, so could give it another few and try and find a replacement. I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

seachto7 wrote: »
    Well, it turns out I haven't signed a contract yet. I signed a form to say I'd be moving in, and I've paid a deposit.

It would be unethical of me to bail, but it's an unethical world!

I've been there a few months, so could give it another few and try and find a replacement. I don't know.

A contract doesn't have to be written to be valid in law. Tread carefully.

Yes, I know what you mean. I would be slow to make any foolish decision to be honest. As in, if it were to happen, I'd wait for a few months, and see what my options could be...

I could do 6 months there for sure, but I'd like to look for somewhere...

It's a fixed term 1 year contract with no break option clause so looks like reassigning the lease is the only option which is fair enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement