Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

skipping chain

• 29-05-2016 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I recently changed my chain on my hybrid & ever since its been skipping, it's oiled , it's the correct chain , any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

Was it badly worn before it got replaced?

Sounds like the cassette might also now be worn. A new chain will skip on a worn cassette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Stiff link?
    Worn cassette?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

The cassette is only about a 18 months old , I use the bike for around town & getting to work & I do keep it cleaned & oiled , I wouldn't have thought it would be worn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

If the chain gets worn it will wear down the cassette. If you can't find a stiff link on the new chain then the most likely cause of the skipping would be a worn cassette.

You can buy a chain wear checker for 5 or 6 euro so you'll know when the chain starts to wear. If replaced then you'll get a few chains per cassette.

I'd keep my own bikes in fairly good knick and regularly clean the chain. I'd clean it after every dirty wet spin too. I can still only get between 3 and 4 thousand km out of a chain. (usually closer to 3,000)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Have you tried indexing the rear gears?

• Advertisement
Advertisement