Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What level 7 to do for my level 8 course

Options
  • 29-05-2016 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering where to find what level 7 courses I can do for the level 8 courses that I'd like to do. I searched up the level 8 course code 'DT228' here http://www.cao.ie/courses.php but that gives me codes like '5N0783' which I don't think is what I'm looking for.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm just wondering where to find what level 7 courses I can do for the level 8 courses that I'd like to do. I searched up the level 8 course code 'DT228' here http://www.cao.ie/courses.php but that gives me codes like '5N0783' which I don't think is what I'm looking for.
    Thanks

That link is to show you what PLC (Level 5/6) course you can do for FETAC entry rather than LC entry.

Here's what it says for that course:

ONE OF THE FOLLOWING AWARDS:

CITXX Information Technology

5M0529 Software Development

FIVE DISTINCTIONS WHICH MUST INCLUDE

C20012 Computer Architecture
    and
    C20013 Computer Programming
    OR
    5N0541 and 5N2772
    Plus
    5N0556 or 5N0554 or 5N18396 or LCE Maths at OC3

Plus at least two Distinctions from the following:

5N0783
    5N1651
    5N1910
    5N0580
    5N2928
    5N2927
    5N2769

You don't 'have' to do 5N0783, but given that Databases are a big part of the degree, it would seem like a good option to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

Oh ok I see well I am doing the lc this year, do you know where I could find the appropriate level 7 course to do as an entryway into DT228?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Oh ok I see well I am doing the lc this year, do you know where I could find the appropriate level 7 course to do as an entryway into DT228?
    Thanks

Where in the country are you?

Level 7 is a degree, do you mean Level 5, PLC course?

I'm in Dublin, we were never properly thought about this sorry. My understanding is that I can put down DT228 as a level 8 course which was 425 points in 2015. However, if I don't get 425 points I can instead do a level 7 course that leads into the level 8 course that I'd like to do and if I do well enough in the first year then I can go straight into DT228. Is this correct or am I on the wrong track?

• Advertisement

I'm in Dublin, we were never properly thought about this sorry. My understanding is that I can put down DT228 as a level 8 course which was 425 points in 2015. However, if I don't get 425 points I can instead do a level 7 course that leads into the level 8 course that I'd like to do and if I do well enough in the first year then I can go straight into DT228. Is this correct or am I on the wrong track?

You can apply direct to get into that course and as you say it will need 400 odd points.

If, say (and only saying) you make a complete cabbage of the Leaving and get nowhere near the points, but get the requirements to enter the PLC course in Whitehall or Rathmines (there are also interviews - many places may already have been assigned to people who knew early they were not going to get that level of points and made arrangements), then if you get accepted following interview you are in.

Many people see it as a better way as it gives you a realistic idea of the course. 'Computers' could be a clatter of Maths, you might find programming boring, it may not be at all like the course you expected. Doing a PLC may help you realise it's not the area you want to pursue. At the same time, you might love it and be ahead of the gang when you join people straight in from the Leaving in first year 2017, presuming you get your required distinctions.

There may also be Level 7 (pass) degress that can transfer into a final year to DT228, but I can't find any just now. The college would know where they are.

spurious wrote: »
    There may also be Level 7 (pass) degress that can transfer into a final year to DT228, but I can't find any just now. The college would know where they are.

Perfect! Thanks very much, so my best bet then would probably be contact the college directly.
    Thanks for your help!

Yes, ask them about Level 7 entry but ask them also about Level 5 and how many they take etc..

Once you have your degree, nobody cares or knows whether you went straight in from LC or not.

Your guidance counsellor (if your school hasn't had theirs taken away) should have gone through all this with you.

Advertisement