Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing pendant bulb holder

Options
  • 29-05-2016 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Please excuse this really basic question, I just don't want to take any risks though I know it's a simple task.

So a few weeks ago a bulb shattered in my kitchen, what I didn't instantly realise was that the builder had installed cheapo bulb holders with the plastic collar to keep the bulb in place rather than the metal ones. So the collar shattered with the bulb.

I got a replacement one (used to work in a hardware shop so know about what I need just not how to fit them!) and want to replace it. I know I need to turn the power off at the mains but how do I know which cable connects to which terminal? It should be a simple as undoing the screws, slipping the wires out of the old fitting and into the new one but how do I know where the live wire goes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Makes no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Makes no difference.

Thanks! Was thinking that initially but then saw an A in the plastic on one side but Google wasn't bringing up an explanation so I thought I'd ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Remember to check if there's any strands missing, if there is then best to strip back the insulation and redo the connections. Take care not to clamp any insulation under the terminal screw either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

And make sure you use the strain relief

Advertisement