Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet for Work/Personal use

• 29-05-2016 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies, I've had a few threads running here on a tablet purchase and the waters have been muddied so I thought it would be better to start afresh as my needs keep changing.

I initially bought an Asus tablet which I was happy with until I realised that they sent me the wrong spec. By the time I got this resolved I realised that it was not quite what I needed.

No preference for OS. I have many android apps already that I would like to be able to access on my tablet - such as Udemy courses, Booking.com app, various other travel apps. However, there is a work need for me to be able to access MS Office items - not sure if this can be done totally through apps on the Play store or if a dual boot system is a more viable option.

My list of desires are as follows:
    1. 8" - 10" screen - preferably HD, but as long as images are crisp I will trade-off on this. I see 9" as being the desired size for my needs. 8" might be a bit cramped for certain tasks and 10" a bit on the cumbersome side for travel.
    2. Ability to perform work tasks on it - this requires ability to read, create and modify MS Office documents.
    3. Ability to access apps downloaded to phone from Play store.
    4. No preference for Android or Win10 OS - as long as it can handle the above two criteria.
    5. Skype ability (i.e. reasonable cameras - average quality would be sufficient and probably a step change on my current setup)
    6. Ability to interface to the tablet using a keyboard (probably a travel type).
    7. Strong performance. >2Gb RAM would be preferred. I usually have a few apps running at the same time so I would not like to see slowdowns here.
    8. Upgradeable memory, 64Gb minimum.
    9. Up to date - not one of the old Samsung tablets that seem to be about still running KitKat.
    10. Willing to pay up to €300 for a complete solution - tablet/keyboard combination.

In relation to what I've been looking at so far:
    Linx 1010
    Seems like a good option for me. Windows tablet with keyboard. Not sure how it would work in terms of the apps though. Might be a bit on the large size possibly. Don't know too much about it either and whether it has any direct competition. Only competitors I am aware of is the Surface which I dislike its keyboard and price!
    Nvidia Shield K1
    Recommended on another thread. Seems nice though not sure if it meets my new requirements.
    Asus Z580CA
    Was my first purchase. Seemed fine, just got the wrong one for the wrong price so sent it back. Realised that I need it to do a few other things - like MS Office, so have stalled on re-ordering.

Hopefully this will be my last and successful attempt at down selecting to a suitable tablet.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

just to add to the confusion, have to checked out chrome books?

Well, one of those Google Pixel C devices anyway, you'd have more options for apps then you would with a Chromebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Well, one of those Google Pixel C devices anyway, you'd have more options for apps then you would with a Chromebook.

Even with the developer offer, the Pixel C alone exceeds the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Really? That's cool, I didn't know that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement