Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage. How much to borrow.

Options
  • 30-05-2016 12:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Let's say me and wife have 300 thousand cash in the bank and that is the entirety of everything we own and all our savings etc.

If we wanted to buy a house for 300k. Should we

a ) pump all of the money in to house and not bother getting a mortgage at all ( therefore no mortgage repayments, interest etc BUT all our savings and money wiped out )

b) put in 200k and get a mortgage of 100k ( so we still have 100k in savings to fall back on but then paying a mortgage and interest etc)

Above figures are high level, I know we will have to have more money put aside for solicitors, stamp duty, furnishings, builders, etc etc

Comments

I'm no expert on money but I wouldn't spend all my money on a house.
    I'd leave plenty of money in the bank.
    Shop around, get the lowest rate you can.
    Have your savings to fall back on.

There's some new guy in the mortgage sector next year, with very low rates, maybe wait for him?
    Frank money or something?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Do you need the money for any other expenses or purchases? Most people like having some savings.

You do know that you can take out an equity release mortgage at a later stage if you want?

Personally, i would prefer to have no savings and no mortgage but if you want the comfort of a safety net then thats the better option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you still had most of your cash in the bank and a handy mortgage of €500-€700 that'd be a comfortable stress free place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I think you will need to give more info,retired,family,unemployed,earnings etc ,it is hard to beat owning your home outright,but you can end up cash poor if something unexpected or an opportunity to invest come up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

sword1 wrote: »
    I think you will need to give more info,retired,family,unemployed,earnings etc ,it is hard to beat owning your home outright,but you can end up cash poor if something unexpected or an opportunity to invest come up

Late 30's. Married. 2 kids under 3. Wife not working now on purpose (to be with kids, Creche fees etc) . She plans to work in a few years again. Based in Galway. Earnings 60K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

If you have the money to purchase then don't get a morgage!! A morgage is a low interest loan( 4%) contract with your house as CALATERAL, to be repayed over a LOOONG period of time (15 to 35yrs.) with clauses that penalise you if you repay early. The bank always have a CHARGE over the property until the loan is repaid.
    Basically if the **** hits the fan you may not only loose your savings but also your house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Your concern is that you will have no cushion fund.
    Well here's the reality......... Most ordinary people who take a mortgage have no cushion fund AND they a huge debt....

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

lalababa wrote: »
    If you have the money to purchase then don't get a morgage!! A morgage is a low interest loan( 4%) contract with your house as CALATERAL, to be repayed over a LOOONG period of time (15 to 35yrs.) with clauses that penalise you if you repay early. The bank always have a CHARGE over the property until the loan is repaid.
    Basically if the **** hits the fan you may not only loose your savings but also your house!!

What are you on about? Most normal variable-rate mortgages can be repaid early with no penalty of any kind. If you take out a 100k mortgage, and don't put at risk your 100k savings, you'll always be in a position to repay the mortgage in full at short notice.

Besides, for most cases of **** hitting the fan, you'll have 100k readily available to put towards a solution, as well as significant positive equity in the house (unless the market nosedives by more than 67%).

I'm not necessarily saying "take out a mortgage", but I'd really like to hear what kind of dreadful scenario you have in mind that will be so different without a mortgage, but also without savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

generally I would tell someone that it would be nice to have 3 months salary in cash in case of emergency to use if you lose your job or have an accident in order to tide you over until you can settle insurance, or redundancy, or a loan or getting a new job so i suppose you could get a 15k mortgage if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I wouldn't like the idea of paying 3.9% on a mortgage loan if i had loads of money in the bank earning me nothing so I'd minimise the mortgage (personally speaking). Then again I don't have a family to worry about! Also nice houses are not relatively dear where I live.

It would cost less to buy in cash in the long run . But investigate the equity release option for the future in case you need a chunk of cash in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I would keep a cushion fund of 1 to 2 years after tax salary, put the rest in the house. You will get a good rate with low ltv (loan to value ratio).

Over pay mortgage when you can, pay it off quickly.

You always need a cushion fund. You never know when someone is going to lose their job, or the car needs replacing, or the kids need something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I definitely would not depend on the idea of doing an equity release mortgage in the future in case you need some of the money back. These are not being done at the moment unless for home improvements so unless there is a return to boom time lending practices this is not an option. The very time when you might need this like for example being out of work sick/redundant/reduced income is when you won't get it as extra borrowing will always be firstly related to your income and not the house value.

I would keep some of my savings and get a small mortgage, you can always overpay in the future if things are going good so it's unlikely you are going to have the mortgage for the full term anyway.

If you sink all your savings into a house and it is very tempting to be mortgage free then what if you do have a need of money where are you going to get it? As well as that let's say you want to buy a car in 2 yrs time, if you don't have ready cash you may end up with a car loan which will be at a much higher interest rate than a mortgage.

Keep enough cash for anything you can anticipate needing in the coming years that you will not be able to build up sufficient savings for in that timespan again and then keep some more for unexpected expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I had a decent mortgage a few years ago. Came into a few pounds and lobbed it off my mortgage, nearly clearing it actually. Few years went by and the place was getting a a bit tired looking and so I trotted in to see could I get a small topup to freshen the place up a bit. The bank refused me !! Said I wasn't earning enough. Moral of the story is don't throw all your savings into the house. Keep money back in case of emergency. If you need a small mortgage then so be it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A mortgage, of any amount, is going to cost you significantly more than the interest you're earning on keeping the money in the bank. That simple fact- is why I couldn't justify keeping money on deposit under any circumstance- there is no way on earth you're going to earn sufficient on it- to cover the cost of borrowing the money elsewhere.

If you have no immediate or forseeable need for the cash- there is no reason to keep it in the bank.

There are few investments these days that net 4%+ after tax- this is the simple fact to look at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

A mortgage, of any amount, is going to cost you significantly more than the interest you're earning on keeping the money in the bank. That simple fact- is why I couldn't justify keeping money on deposit under any circumstance- there is no way on earth you're going to earn sufficient on it- to cover the cost of borrowing the money elsewhere.

If you have no immediate or forseeable need for the cash- there is no reason to keep it in the bank.

There are few investments these days that net 4%+ after tax- this is the simple fact to look at.

I suppose this is the way im thinking. on myhome.ie mortgage calculator, I just threw in borrowing 100,000 over 25 years at 4% and the interest on that is 58,000.

This just seems an awful waste, paying interest to banks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Id go mortgage free unless -
    You have any concerns about your job security.
    You want to make changes / updates to the house your purchasing for 300,000
    Ye expect to have to purchase two cars soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

There is a benefit in having funds available for foreseeable and unforeseeable needs. How much that benefit is worth is hard to say, but it's definitely more than 0. So you can deduct that from the cost of borrowing.

It's generally advisable to keep a few months' salaries worth in some form of liquid assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I would keep a safety net of circa 20-30k to be sure I am not caught off-gard in case something happens and I have time to sort things out.

Beyond this, I personally don't see the point of getting a mortgage. As other have said the mortgage is costing you money (if you have 100k mortgage with 4% interest rate, for the first few years you will be gifting the bank 4000 Euros per year in interest repayments - and if will gradually reduce throughout the year).

Also keep in mind that if you don't have a mortgage you will rebuild your savings much faster, so the safety net concern is only valid for the first few years.

Some hard numbers to put things in perspective:

If you borrow 100k over 20 years at 4% interest rate (rates are slightly lower but you have to add insurance and throughout the duration of the mortgage your variable rate is more likely increase than to decrease given that we are now at an all times low in terms of ECB rates).

- You would be repaying 605 euros per month
    - During the first 32 months, more than half the amount you would give to the bank would be interest payments, meaning less than 50% of your financial effort would actually go into paying for your house and the rest would be profit for the bank (for example, your first repayment of 605 would consist of 333 worth of interests and 272 worth of capital repayment)
    - Assuming you don't make early repayment, the total cost of your 100000 euros mortgage would be 145000 euros (100000 in capital repayment and 45000 in interests payment).

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KlausFlouride

Basically whatever you borrow, you will pay back + 50% interest. Borrowing 300k, will pay pack c. 450k and so forth. Keep a cushion to tide you over if get sick/lose job, other than that, it's free money for the bank and you won't get 4% interest if the cash sits in a deposit account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I recommend you keep a cushion. 1-2 years salary (after tax) as another poster suggested. Get a ~100k on variable rate. Pay it off in a few years if you feel you are financially comfortable to do so. You know you will pay a tidy sum in interest back to the bank, but I would think of it as a temporary arrangement/"insurance", with the idea to pay it back, in full, early. (make sure you get a mortgage that you can pay back early without penalty).

You have a family and in particular two kids. You may need access to cash quickly at some point in the future. Do you have health insurance for the family btw? Definitely an insurance I have always tried to keep, no matter how financial stressed we have been. One of the kids had a procedure recently and it cost 1,000 EUR (took about 20mins).
    Unexpected items like that could catch you out, so best have that cushion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

hognef wrote: »
    There is a benefit in having funds available for foreseeable and unforeseeable needs. How much that benefit is worth is hard to say, but it's definitely more than 0. So you can deduct that from the cost of borrowing.

It's generally advisable to keep a few months' salaries worth in some form of liquid assets.

Why not set aside the 4% (or slightly more) that it would have cost to borrow the funds. Its 300k- so that's 12k per annum- or a nice round 1k a month. Rebuild the buffer from scratch- and pay the 4% interest to yourself- rather than the bank? Within the year you'll have your at least 3 month's net salary built up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

If you actually need the equity release because of a family emergency or job loss, it's unlikely you'll actually be able to get it.

Given that you're a one income family, I would keep 1 year of your after tax income aside in a reasonably accessible bank account.
    That will give you the cushion you need to work through anything major without panic.

Your loan to value will be low so your interest rate will be the best available.
    Make sure you have flexible terms and conditions that allow you to pay off the loan ahead of schedule.
    Choose a mortgage term that can save on your mortgage insurance costs, e.g. being in your late 30s, a life insurance policy for 15 years may be considerably better value then a life insurance policy for 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

For every euro you borrow you pay back almost 2 on a 30 year mortgage. I'd go mortgage free, your 300K house is your back up.
    With out any mortgage repayments you should be able to build up savings again quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

Having that kind of money available to invest in a house is not a usual situation. All the talk about cushions etc well, we all have these concerns, but few if any have 1 to 2 years salary in savings!
    Simple math here, money in your account will earn less in interest than money you borrow at the moment.

Buy a house for 250K and keep 50K in your account which you should be able to add to, given you are a saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

For every euro you borrow you pay back almost 2 on a 30 year mortgage. I'd go mortgage free, your 300K house is your back up.
    With out any mortgage repayments you should be able to build up savings again quickly.

There's absolutely no need to pay it back over 30 years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

That's only if he take the mortgage for 30 years, which would be crazy.

It would take years to build up any kind of savings given the OP's financial earnings and family situation. There would be no "quickly" about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pwurple and Project Moose are correct. Keep about 2 years salary in a bank or invested.
    Get a good LTV mortage. Should do quite well on less than 50% debt.

Don't be looking at how much interest you pay over 25/30 years. It's what makes your position secure and comfortable. Have that rainy day fund.

So Mortgage around €180K. Don't have your savings and loan in the same institution. None of their business. You make your own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

For every euro you borrow you pay back almost 2 on a 30 year mortgage.

That does sound like a lot, but over the 30 years the interest becomes small as its swallowed up by inflation. If I bought a house 30 years ago for €25k (which would have bought a decent house Im sure), I might end up paying back €75k between then and now, which is still small money in todays terms.

OP, I would get some sort of a mortgage but also look to invest the remainder of your cash - the amount of your lump sum will stay the same over time but the value is being eroded by inflation, meaning you are losing money if its just sitting there

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sorry adjust that, Mortgage €120K, Spend €180K = House Price.

Keep €120K savings.

Pay back 5/600 per month.

That's your ball park, if you are comfortable with those repayments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Water John wrote: »
    Sorry adjust that, Mortgage €120K, Spend €180K = House Price.

Keep €120K savings.

Pay back 5/600 per month.

That's your ball park, if you are comfortable with those repayments.

Following this method, you have already €120k built up, there is no need to add to that. Divert all moneys you would have been putting into savings into mortgage.

Advertisement