Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting in a round?

Options
  • 30-05-2016 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Your joined in the pub by colleagues or friends or someone you've made acquaintance with - you say "I'm getting these in, what you having?" and they reply "oh I will just have an Orange juice please" or "coke please" or some soft drink (and they are over 18 LOL) do you get it for them no problem and no questions asked , or do you goad them on to have an alcoholic beverage?

If your a bloke and your buying a drink for a bloke would you try even more to persuade them to have an alcoholic drink than if you were buying a drink for a woman?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Makes no odds to me what anyone else drinks, why would it. Get whatever they ask for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Why do people do this? No I wouldn't goad anyone into drinking but it was done to me many times. Same with smoking, here have a smoke, ah go on you dry ****e, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ruu wrote: »
    Why do people do this? No I wouldn't goad anyone into drinking but it was done to me many times. Same with smoking, here have a smoke, ah go on you dry ****e, etc.

I'd say it happens a lot less now for smoking, thankfully! It used to be "cool" to smoke, now it's the opposite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Them: "I'll have a juice/mineral water/ coffee"
    Me: " OK"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I hate getting into rounds. I prefer to drink at my own pace, hate waiting or being waited on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I don't drink, so I usually look after myself, alcohol is so much more expensive I'd end up losing out on rounds. People do offer to get me drinks but I usually tell em I'm all right. No one's ever tried to goad me into drinking and I've never tried to goad anyone into just having a soft drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I'm not a big drinker, but if I'm out, I'll have a few. I too prefer drinking at my own pace, and it can annoy me when more drink is put in front of me, if another round is bought and I didn't ask for anything. Ok, I appreciate those buying the rounds, but I don't like to drink too much.

There have been times when I've ordered a mineral, and I've either been laughed at for not ordering an alcoholic beverage or will be persuaded into getting something alcoholic. When I buy a round, I just buy what I want and, of course, what others are having.

People seem to be of the opinion that they have to get drunk to have a good time, and if they don't get drunk, the night isn't complete. I like to just sit around and have chats and banter with those around me, preferably when everyone is sober. Though, even when drunk, some can be good craic. It's just me, though, and I don't care if others think I'm a dry s***e.

Your joined in the pub by colleagues or friends or someone you've made acquaintance with - you say "I'm getting these in, what you having?" and they reply "oh I will just have an Orange juice please" or "coke please" or some soft drink (and they are over 18 LOL) do you get it for them no problem and no questions asked , or do you goad them on to have an alcoholic beverage?

If your a bloke and your buying a drink for a bloke would you try even more to persuade them to have an alcoholic drink than if you were buying a drink for a woman?

Why would you goad them into drinking?
    Maybe they just don't drink?
    What's your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Makes no odds to me what anyone else drinks, why would it. Get whatever they ask for
    Exactly.

You want a drink? Have a drink.

You don't want one? Don't have one. You're welcome to have one though.

It's so simple it's actually stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Whatever.
    I'm at an age where if one of my friends say no to free alcohol she's probably duffed. Who am I to argue with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

there are those around and I hear them reguarly when people just want a soft drink, that they are not happy because your not having a drink with them or they most pobably think your a wuss because your not drinkingand its happened to me a couple of times - im just happy sometimes just having a soft drink but some will be gowan, gowan gowan, just a little drink (like mrs doyle with her cup o tea lol :D ) - here have one of these , i just stick by my guns, most probably come across as boring, but if I want a drink I will have a drink (and if I want only half or a pint I will do just that) , can tell it annoys some people - especially if they are a 8 pints of person lol

Andy from Sligo

Most people couldn't care less whether you, or anyone in your company has an alcoholic drink.
    They are only asking out politeness.

No one cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

personally i wouldn't do rounds if i just wanted a soft drink. i wouldn't go to a bar either because i don't like paying €2.50 for 200mls of club orange.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Andy from Sligo

Most people couldn't care less whether you, or anyone in your company has an alcoholic drink.
    They are only asking out politeness.

No one cares.

is someone who constantly goes on to someone about having a drink until you give in out of politeness or is it riling them up that your not drinking alcoholic drink?

these type of people (especially if they dont know you that well) dont know for sure why you chose a OJ .. it might be that your a recovering alcoholic or something

is someone who constantly goes on to someone about having a drink until you give in out of politeness or is it riling them up that your not drinking alcoholic drink?

these type of people (especially if they dont know you that well) dont know for sure why you chose a OJ .. it might be that your a recovering alcoholic or something

Who cares?
    Drink what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Just get them what they ask for.

I sometimes go for a few drinks with my wife's elderly uncle.

Him: What will you have?
    Me: Gin and tonic
    Him to the barman: Give him a pint.
    Me: FFS

Does my fcukin skull in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

there are those around and I hear them reguarly when people just want a soft drink, that they are not happy because your not having a drink with them or they most pobably think your a wuss because your not drinkingand its happened to me a couple of times - im just happy sometimes just having a soft drink but some will be gowan, gowan gowan, just a little drink (like mrs doyle with her cup o tea lol :D ) - here have one of these , i just stick by my guns, most probably come across as boring, but if I want a drink I will have a drink (and if I want only half or a pint I will do just that) , can tell it annoys some people - especially if they are a 8 pints of person lol

Order what you like, tomato juice, fizzy pop or whatever you fancy but for fcuks sake, don't order a half pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

gramar wrote: »
    Order what you like, tomato juice, fizzy pop or whatever you fancy but for fcuks sake, don't order a half pint.

Unless you are my granny....then it is ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Why would you goad someone into getting a different drink than the one they asked for? If I asked for a pint of lager would you say "Ah come on, have an apple juice." ??

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I prefer the system here, you order and drink at your own pace and just pay when you're leaving. No nonsense of rounds, people having to keep up, someone leaving early or delaying the barman with paying each time you go to the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Er, no! Leave people alone! None of anyone's business if they don't want what you're having yourself.
    Is it that you feel bad about drinking or smoking if you're doing it on your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mr.S wrote: »
    How do they keep track if you order at the bar?

They put a tick on your beermat when they bring down the beer. Ticks are added up at the end of the night and you pay when leaving.

gramar wrote:

Gowan then , enlighten me . What's wrong with a bloke ordering half a pint of something. Does it make a bloke less of a man? Is he a poof for ordering half a pint? or a sissy? :-)

jester77 wrote:
    I prefer the system here, you order and drink at your own pace and just pay when you're leaving. No nonsense of rounds, people having to keep up, someone leaving early or delaying the barman with paying each time you go to the bar.

That's a pretty good system. Where's that in place then?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

That's a pretty good system. Where's that in place then?

Germany is one place I know does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I have a friend who's constantly trying to force drink on people that they don't want. She's good company in every other way but this trait puts me off meeting up with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Gowan then , enlighten me . What's wrong with a bloke ordering half a pint of something. Does it make a bloke less of a man? Is he a poof for ordering half a pint? or a sissy? :-)

Both probably:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP When adults drink together they dont need to resort to slagging one another into drinking alcohol if their friend doesnt want to.
    Its called been an adult.

I wouldnt go to a resturant with a vegitarian and try and get them to eat a beef Burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I get this all the time. I've never been a big drinker and recently given up drink (for no particular reason) and when I say I'll have a coke to some people I'll get ah go on, have a proper drink. Then they ask if I'm pregnant (I'm not).

I think the fact that some people can't understand why someone would go out an not drink is pretty sad.

• Advertisement

Both probably:D

just a couple of weeks ago I was having a bite to eat in a lovely pub by a beach , I ordered half a pint of Guinness - werent really that thirsty. Coming to the end of my meal I thought I will have another half pint of Guinness and I did! then went for a lovely walk over the cliff edge. No funny looks from the bar man, no hit by lightening, no falling off the edge of the cliff - no, all that happened was that I wasnt laden down heavily with Guinness inside me and i saved my money and i wasnt peeing in the loo every 5 minutes and 2 half pints hit the spot just right :)

I just wish they would make the half pint glasses a bit more 'manly' so you dont look like a tool whilst your having your half a pint of guinness :D

Advertisement