Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing?

Options
  • 30-05-2016 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Having very little success lure fishing for trout and I'd love to get into fly fishing. Anyone recommend a good setup that'll do me for lakes and rivers? Plus what are the best trout spots in wicklow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

10 ft 5 weight rod if your looking for a one size fits all rod for brown trout.

If your going to be going after rainbows, you might want to bump it up to a 6 weight.

Start off with a floating and intermediate (slow sinking) line ( I recommend Barrio lines, about 25 pounds each).

Any reel will do really, just make sure it's metal and not plastic / graphite.

Some fluorocarbon going from .15mm for rivers up to .22mm for lakes.

Get local advice for flies.

I use Bison waders, about 100 pounds with a free pair of boots.

Kneepads will help keep your waders from getting leaks.

Polaroid glasses will aid in fish spotting and prevent you getting a hook in the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

BrownTrout wrote: »
    10 ft 5 weight rod if your looking for a one size fits all rod for brown trout.

If your going to be going after rainbows, you might want to bump it up to a 6 weight.

Start off with a floating and intermediate (slow sinking) line ( I recommend Barrio lines, about 25 pounds each).

Any reel will do really, just make sure it's metal and not plastic / graphite.

Some fluorocarbon going from .15mm for rivers up to .22mm for lakes.

Get local advice for flies.

I use Bison waders, about 100 pounds with a free pair of boots.

Kneepads will help keep your waders from getting leaks.

Polaroid glasses will aid in fish spotting and prevent you getting a hook in the eye.

Would that setup be expensive? And is fly fishing more successful than lures/ maggots usually

Would that setup be expensive? And is fly fishing more successful than lures/ maggots usually

The waders and the fly lines are the cheapest you will find (unless you go for rubber thigh waders, about 40 euro)

Everything else can be as cheap or as expensive as you want.

If your on a budget, go for a Shakespeare rod and reel.

If you can afford a bit more, Snowbee have an excellent warranty and won't break the bank.

The waders and the fly lines are the cheapest you will find (unless you go for rubber thigh waders, about 40 euro)

Everything else can be as cheap or as expensive as you want.

If your on a budget, go for a Shakespeare rod and reel.

If you can afford a bit more, Snowbee have an excellent warranty and won't break the bank.

Thanks for the help, I'll pop in to my local shop to have a look at a snowbee. Can you recommend any general flys for brown trout, I don't want to end up wits 5 boxes of useless flies like a lot of anglers do 😂

Thanks for the help, I'll pop in to my local shop to have a look at a snowbee. Can you recommend any general flys for brown trout, I don't want to end up wits 5 boxes of useless flies like a lot of anglers do 😂

Well I tie all my own river flies.

My favourites are:

Dries - any F-fly in size 16

Wets - greenwells glory, partridge and yellow, waterhen bloa, black spider, black and silver spider (All size 14s)

Nymphs - Redneck pheasant tail nymph, hare's ear with a green flash thorax, frenchie nymph, flashback pheasant tails.

For lakes have a look at dunfly.ie and get a selection of wets, buzzers, Diawl Bachs and crunchers.

• Advertisement

Well I tie all my own river flies.

My favourites are:

Dries - any F-fly in size 16

Wets - greenwells glory, partridge and yellow, waterhen bloa, black spider, black and silver spider (All size 14s)

Nymphs - Redneck pheasant tail nymph, hare's ear with a green flash thorax, frenchie nymph, flashback pheasant tails.

For lakes have a look at dunfly.ie and get a selection of wets, buzzers, Diawl Bachs and crunchers.

Thanks so much for all the help. It's great to get advice, I really hadn't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

have a look at dunfly.ie .

I hadn't hear of them before but that looks to be very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

I'll plus 1 on Shakespeare rods all my fly rods from trout to Salmon are Shakespeare. For value for money they are great, just as good as rods twice there price.

SeaFields wrote:
    I hadn't hear of them before but that looks to be very good value.
    Yeah I use their Diawl Bachs and epoxy buzzers for rainbows and find them excellent. Despite the price, I've never had a hook fail.

Yeah I use their Diawl Bachs and epoxy buzzers for rainbows and find them excellent. Despite the price, I've never had a hook fail.

I ordered a batch after my inital post. Couldn't help myself with the prices. Got a selection of brown and sea trout flies. Pleasantly surprised at the total cost.

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    I ordered a batch after my inital post. Couldn't help myself with the prices. Got a selection of brown and sea trout flies. Pleasantly surprised at the total cost.

While we're talking about flies, do traditional flies or newer, flashier flies work best?

While we're talking about flies, do traditional flies or newer, flashier flies work best?

That's a how long is a piece of string question! I have every type in my boxes but probably only reach for a handful all year.

All I would say to you is to do two things..seek local knowledge. What works best on one river mightn't get a look in on the river down the road. So ask the regulars and they should show you. If there is no one to ask, trial and error and match the hatch. And second, fish with flies you have confidence in. No point putting something you have no confidence in.

Both! Depends on the day

Got recommended a second hand partridge 10 ft 7 weight rod in my local tackle shop. Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A 7 is too much for average river Trout fishing. Try for a 5.

IS partridge a good brand though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I think it is a big help if the fly reel is balanced on the rod.In other words the reel and rod should rotate around your wrist.It should be balanced in your hand.Also a good quality line is a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 I like cheesepuffs

Ditto!

Put a deposit on a second hand 10 ft partridge with line reel and spare spool. Getting excited now :)

Agreed, even a 4wt isn't too light for 99% of river fishing

• Advertisement

Agreed, even a 4wt isn't too light for 99% of river fishing

Ah jaysus yous are all bursting my bubble ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

I would recommend barrio mallard fly lines. Free shipping to Ireland and are only around 35 euro compared to 70 euro rio line. It is brilliant casting quality and are brilliant lines. I have these lines in 7 and 5 weight and I love them.

Ah jaysus yous are all bursting my bubble ;)

Do not get a 7 weight for river trout. please!!

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    I would recommend barrio mallard fly lines. Free shipping to Ireland and are only around 35 euro compared to 70 euro rio line. It is brilliant casting quality and are brilliant lines. I have these lines in 7 and 5 weight and I love them.
    What do you use a 7 weight for?

Salmon.

Salmon.
    OK ok so just to make sure what rod length and weight should I get if I want to fish for brownies and rainbows in streams rivers fisheries and maybe lakes

A 7 weight is very much an out and out boat rod or sea trout/ single handed salmon rod.

It's just too heavy for the delicate presentation needed on the river.

Now my first rod was a 10ft 6in 6-8wt Daiwa and I caught fish with it on rivers, but it's a different animal to we'll balanced 4/5wt river outfit.

A 7 weight is very much an out and out boat rod or sea trout/ single handed salmon rod.

It's just too heavy for the delicate presentation needed on the river.

Now my first rod was a 10ft 6in 6-8wt Daiwa and I caught fish with it on rivers, but it's a different animal to we'll balanced 4/5wt river outfit.
    Thanks for the help. I really like the partridge so I'm going to go and buy it for rainbows and sea trout, but also save up for a shakespeare agility rise. Now the final decision is 8 ft 6" 4 weight or 9ft 5 weight?

Thanks for the help. I really like the partridge so I'm going to go and buy it for rainbows and sea trout, but also save up for a shakespeare agility rise. Now the final decision is 8 ft 6" 4 weight or 9ft 5 weight?

Well that's up to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

I use my 7 weight as well for fishing for brown trout on a lake if it's very windy and I want to get a fly out on the water. And I use it for boat fishing and single handed salmon fishing.

Advertisement