Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

BrownTrout wrote: »
    Thanks for the help. I really like the partridge so I'm going to go and buy it for rainbows and sea trout, but also save up for a shakespeare agility rise. Now the final decision is 8 ft 6" 4 weight or 9ft 5 weight?

Well that's up to you!
    Haha I guess I have to make some decisions for myself ;) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

I use the shakespeare agility range. They are brilliant rods. I even got an experienced fly caster to try it out and he said its a lovely rod and a dream to cast with and said it has the same quality of his expensive rod and he said its very good for the price also.

Ooh one more thing is 7 weight 10 ft rod too light for salmon, if I'm getting a 9 ft 5 weight is there any point in getting a rod just a foot and 2 weights different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Ooh one more thing is 7 weight 10 ft rod too light for salmon, if I'm getting a 9 ft 5 weight is there any point in getting a rod just a foot and 2 weights different

A 7 weight will be grand for all but the heaviest salmon and the strongest currents. Just make sure you use strong line.

There's a huge difference between a 10ft 7wt and 9ft 5wt.

My most used rod is a 10ft 3wt and that's a different beast again to a 5wt

The 10 foot 7 weight is short and light but it should be able to handle summer salmon fishing conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    I use the shakespeare agility range.

I have heard nothing but good things about them to be honest.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Olwas2014 wrote: »
    I use the shakespeare agility range.

I have heard nothing but good things about them to be honest.
    Normal agility or rise? I'm stuck between which to go for, they appear the same(to a beginner at least)

The agility rise is stiffer in action compared to the normal agility. Even though they share the same name they are different feeling rods to cast. I would prefer the normal agility. Is there any way that you can go into a tackle shop that stocks these rods and just pick up the demo versions and just try them out if you are allowed and see which one you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

I own the agility in a 7 weight fast action 11' and I think there a really good rod I also have a 7 weight sigma fast action 9'6" and it's every bit as good. The fast action is a very good compromise it allows you to use the same rod for your average river fishing on small trout but it can still handle big rainbows and salmon up to 10-12lbs weight. I really like the fast action 7 weight for me it's a 1 rod does all.

Well lads, Just got my first fly rod setup, a beautiful shakespeare rise 8 ft 6 inch 4 weight reel and line. Real excited to try the dodder tommorow :)

• Advertisement

Now all you need is a lot of practice and as much patients. Best of luck with the new setup.

Best of luck and remember to be patient with the learning. If you can it would be good to get an instructor

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Well lads, Just got my first fly rod setup, a beautiful shakespeare rise 8 ft 6 inch 4 weight reel and line. Real excited to try the dodder tommorow :)

Good man. Watch some casting videos on youtube to give yourself an idea where to start.

Holy f**ck I think I'm in love. Went down to the dodder and Milltown and I was greeted to rising fish, beautiful scenery and of course helpful people. Got free casting lessons, free flies, gink etc. That river and the people that fish it are amazing. About 5 rises and one hooked fish, alas didn't manage to land any. Still good for a first days fly fishing, hope there's many more to come ;)

It sounds like you've been bitten by the bug. Happy learning and happy fishing.

Yes that is the thing about fly fishing. It becomes addictive! For me, I landed a trout on my first lesson. He was small but very welcome. Hope you land a trout soon.

I'd like to just give a big thank you to everyone who helped me out get into fly fishing here. Absolutely love it now, caught a good few Brownies and I'm currently chasing after a salmon or a nice sea trout. Cheers once more lads and tight lines ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 goopee

How do you find that rod for Dodder/Tolka fishing?
    I'm looking for a first rod, mostly for fishing in those rivers.
    Would you suggest even something lighter?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

goopee wrote: »
    How do you find that rod for Dodder/Tolka fishing?
    I'm looking for a first rod, mostly for fishing in those rivers.
    Would you suggest even something lighter?

Cheers!

No need to go any lighter on the Dodder.

That setup is absolutely perfect for the tolka and the dodder, I'd be looking for a 4 weight in between 8 and 9ft. Im very happy with the Shakespeare rod, I had no problems with it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 goopee

Thank you guys for your replies!
    I think the rod is chosen so! Now the other components of the outfit and practice casting till the season opens!

Advertisement