Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread 2016 - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    To that point, if something isn't initially reported can it be reported say a week after and expect retrospective action?

You can report something from months ago if you like. I am sure if it was just missed and warranted action a mod would take the action although I would also imagine that mods would not encourage the reporting of older posts as it might encourage people to go searching for old posts from people they have issue with for posts they deem would justify infractions etc.

On the maureen thing I believe it is on a list of names used by posters so as to have a little dig and again it gets pinged for consistency cos you can't take mod action against people talking about old whiskey nose or The fat Spanish waiter if you don't do the same for Maureen. Old examples I know and it is such a tiny thing that even the mods probably wish they didn't have to enforce it but I'm pretty sure it originally came about from a thread like this with people complaining about posters using such terms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

BMMachine wrote: »
    ad26619be534713a66de65003543925b.jpg

so Homers cake in the simpsons? Have a thread for all the dribbling trolls to p*ss and sh*t in?

Only if you name that thread exactly that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

You can report something from months ago if you like. I am sure if it was just missed and warranted action a mod would take the action although I would also imagine that mods would not encourage the reporting of older posts as it might encourage people to go searching for old posts from people they have issue with for posts they deem would justify infractions etc.

On the maureen thing I believe it is on a list of names used by posters so as to have a little dig and again it gets pinged for consistency cos you can't take mod action against people talking about old whiskey nose or The fat Spanish waiter if you don't do the same for Maureen. Old examples I know and it is such a tiny thing that even the mods probably wish they didn't have to enforce it but I'm pretty sure it originally came about from a thread like this with people complaining about posters using such terms

Yeah. I've no problem with childish names being carded, I was just using it as a comparative example to classless prick and turd which I'm pretty sure aren't allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The humour thread is exactly that,Humour and a bit of craic,there seems to be a few here who get offended for the sake of it.If you go down the pub to watch a big game then you take it as a given there will be slagging.The mods are actually pretty on the ball with that thread when it starts getting out of hand.

Look at the Moyes stuff,it was fair game week in,week out.When the shoe was on the other foot the self same posters threw the toys out of the pram.Don't post there if you can't leave your feelings at the door.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

zerks wrote: »
    The humour thread is exactly that,Humour and a bit of craic,there seems to be a few here who get offended for the sake of it.If you go down the pub to watch a big game then you take it as a given there will be slagging.The mods are actually pretty on the ball with that thread when it starts getting out of hand.

Look at the Moyes stuff,it was fair game week in,week out.When the shoe was on the other foot the self same posters threw the toys out of the pram.Don't post there if you can't leave your feelings at the door.

says one of the guys that frequently uses it for "craic". Shocking you want to defend its current state

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I didnt know this.

Why are we not allowed post about matches in our threads on match day?

Looking at match threads in general, If they are not with United or Liverpool playing, I would be surprised if the made it over 30 posts with there own fans.

It tends to be United or Liverpool supporters who make up the numbers in the match thread.

I think matches days should be brought back into the supporters threads.

Match threads tend to be "free for all" and I would be a hypocrite if I said I was innocent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It's mainly we'll run from my point of view.
    I'll never quite understand how some posts go unpunished while others that are clearly nowhere near as bad pick up cards. Childish names for players should either all be allowed or all be worthy of a card, same goes for abusive names.
    The names I've seen Mourinho be called over the last week or so go unchallenged...

I've said this the last two feedback threads. You can call Rooney Shrek all you want, but even mention Fat Frank and say hello to a Yellow. :rolleyes:

says one of the guys that frequently uses it for "craic". Shocking you want to defend its current state

Come on,cards on the table.What would you replace it with? Popping into other teams threads and stirring sh1t then having a laugh with your mates from your teams forum?

As it stands,it's a place for posters to have a pop at the opposition and stick up stuff from around the net.If we put all that stuff in our own threads we would still have the likes of yourself crying over "look what they are saying about us".

It's football,not kindergarten "where everyone is a winner".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

3) A potential reexamination about enforcement of the old rule of 'no match discussion in superthreads'. What has made this forum great in the past is the interaction of different fan bases in one place (that isn't a free for all cesspit). I think there has been some element of Utd / Liverpool fans retreating into bunkers in superthreads and unwilling to discuss matches in the neutral match threads. The more people don't interact with each other the less they'll be able to do so in an adult fashion.

I agree with all of your post except the above. I absolutely hate match threads as do a lot of people, there is at best minimal discussion and a series of one line/word posts which generally swallow up some good points or topics for discussion, a lot of posters appear to avoid match threads. The odd time in a superthread some intelligent and in depth debate happens at half time or something and once it's not turning into a second match thread that should be allowed.

I think the forum works well at the moment and even though I think match threads could be better I'm not sure what could be done to improve them.

Also re the euros, I think it would be good to open up the forum again, it's nice to get an influx of new opinions and posters.

• Advertisement

Come on,cards on the table.What would you replace it with? Popping into other teams threads and stirring sh1t then having a laugh with your mates from your teams forum?

As it stands,it's a place for posters to have a pop at the opposition and stick up stuff from around the net.If we put all that stuff in our own threads we would still have the likes of yourself crying over "look what they are saying about us".

It's football,not kindergarten "where everyone is a winner".

i'd keep it there and just ban/infract the people using it for trolling. Hey it could almost be used as a filter couldn't it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I reported a post where Mourinho was called a classless prick and a turd in the one sentence. Nothing.
    I've seen people be carded for calling him Maureen.

Lol I was carded for calling him Maureen a few years back. Bit silly really.

(Better not get carded again for this post).

Just scrap match threads

If United are winning sure you only get United supporters posting.

Same thing they could be doing in there own threads.

IF United are losing you get the Trolling/Banter from everyone else.

Same goes for all match threads wheather its Liverpool Chelsea, City or Arsenal.

i'd keep it there and just ban/infract the people using it for trolling. Hey it could almost be used as a filter couldn't it :)

People do get infracted in that thread.Banter has it's place and that's the place for it,crossing the line is acted upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Just scrap match threads

If United are winning sure you only get United supporters posting.

Same thing they could be doing in there own threads.

IF United are losing you get the Trolling/Banter from everyone else.

Same goes for all match threads wheather its Liverpool Chelsea, City or Arsenal.

Getting rid of them completely would make superthreads unbearable, especially when certain instances get discussed for days, on the match thread they usually run there course in a few hours and the thread gets closed after a day. This can't happen on a superthread.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Getting rid of them completely would make superthreads unbearable, especially when certain instances get discussed for days, on the match thread they usually run there course in a few hours and the thread gets closed after a day. This can't happen on a superthread.

But thats my point. People tend to think twice before they post in a supporter thread.

99% of them have reason behind the post.

I watch Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and City fans post logical content in Super-threads of other supporters.

Match threads on the other hand are dirty threads.

Full of trolling.

Banter doesn't really work on a forum.

• Advertisement

• Interested to know how the mods feel about linking other social accounts to your boards account.
    Considering you are making public what these are such as facebook / twitter ect

If said person uses such medium to abuse certain posters / players etc in this medium which is technically outside the forum but at the same time making it available to be read by anyone due to the fact that somebody is displaying this account or accounts in there signature for arguments sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Interested to know how the mods feel about linking other social accounts to your boards account.
    Considering you are making public what these are such as facebook / twitter ect

If said person uses such medium to abuse certain posters / players etc in this medium which is technically outside the forum but at the same time making it available to be read by anyone due to the fact that somebody is displaying this account or accounts in there signature for arguments sake
    I don't think the mods or boards should be responsible for any contact made on another site. We're all responsible for our own privacy and most social networks have report functions of their own anyway.

• CSF wrote: »
    I don't think the mods or boards should be responsible for any contact made on another site. We're all responsible for our own privacy and most social networks have report functions of their own anyway.

Not the point I'm making

If somebody is actively displaying it in there signature and actively engaging in abuse via that medium instead of directly doing it on boards then I think a stand can be made on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Are all the soccer forum mods fairly active?
    I see 3-4 regularly posting, the rest not so much.

Other than that, fecking job well done yeah boi !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The Humour Thread is mainly used for trolling. Its where trolls go to troll if they can't troll a match thread or other clubs thread. I have seen a well known troll (one who has been sitebanned before for trolling on this forum) talk about how great the trolling is on that thread.
    Why is trolling allowed on the site?
    The Humour thread is brilliant!

Before the thread was started, trolls would have to post that sh!te in opposition supporters threads and the chaos resulting must have been horrific for mods.

Now it's a perfect forum for trolling, those with the inclination can post there to their hearts content and keep away from the oppositions superthreads and collect their quota of thanks.

It's probably the one reason I'm still posting here as the digs and windups can be kept at a distance from the superthreads and normal discussion can continue with rare trolling.

It is a super solution, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The humour thread serves a purpose although again the moderation is all over the place. The original rule of no tit for tat posts is ignored for the most part until it suits a mod to implement it, similar for no chat.

The abuse rule needs to be clarified as well as to what terms are allowed. Maureen and Chelski are pretty much the only guaranteed cards, everything else seems to be a coin toss.

Betting talk should be confined to the gambling thread too. Admittedly catching the fake cash out in the 95th minute was probably post of the season but it's become nothing more than another source of cheap digs.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,674 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not the point I'm making

If somebody is actively displaying it in there signature and actively engaging in abuse via that medium instead of directly doing it on boards then I think a stand can be made on the subject.
    It's not one for the mods to deal with. I have been aware of people in the office looking at some of this stuff but local mods can't even establish if the linked account is the same person (although equally it may not make much sense linking to someone trolling this site with posts elsewhere who is not the Boards account holder)

If anyone does have an issue with a signature report it. Those reports go to the Admins and they can deal with it or pass it onto the office to look at.

• Speaking of the humour thread...find it funny that people will complain about the humour thread and at the same time actively post in it.
    Have a laugh, have a smile.
    You might be taking a forum way to seriously if it upsets your day.

And anyway who is anyone to say person x or y wouldn't find a particular post funny. Just because a certain set of fans won't. Doesn't make them a troll.

If you believe that it's not part and parcel of team rivalry then you are simply lying to yourself. Head to an actual football match and you might understand what I mean.

This whole "great place for the small minded" could be considered insulting but who am I to give a **** what another poster says. To them it's there opinion are there entitled to it.

The humour thread as Lloyd said means those posts aren't posted in super threads.

99.99% of the posts are completely harmless and if people are offended by posts taking the piss out their team the Internet is probably a scary place!

People do get infracted in that thread.Banter has it's place and that's the place for it,crossing the line is acted upon.

I don't think so at all. Its the place to go where guys like you can post stuff they can't post on match threads etc and the mods (probably purposefully) ignore it. I want to know why

I don't think so at all. Its the place to go where guys like you can post stuff they can't post on match threads etc and the mods (probably purposefully) ignore it. I want to know why

Is there anything offensive in there though, or is it just a case of "it's taking the piss out of my team and I don't like it"?

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Is there anything offensive in there though, or is it just a case of "it's taking the piss out of my team and I don't like it"?

is there anything offensive about calling Chelsea "Chelski" - nope. You still get carded for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Usually match threads are closed after a day or two, some match threads though remain unclosed as they drop off the first page and go unnoticed.

Why? If things have generally stayed civil, why feel the need to close it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

is there anything offensive about calling Chelsea "Chelski" - nope. You still get carded for it.

You seem to be the only one on the whole forum that has a problem with it. You went through all this in the feedback last year and you bring it up every now and then on the forum.
    If you don't like it then don't use it. It's that simple.

• BMMachine wrote: »

Who are you to deem Chelski as not being offensive anyway? Just because you don't doesn't mean everybody else won't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Who are you to deem Chelski as not being offensive anyway? Just because you don't doesn't mean everybody else won't

I can't see how anybody would find that offensive. If anything I find it smart as they have a Russian owner.

It's offensive as is manure and lolerpool are because the general demographics of posters to the forum are over the age of 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Panthro wrote: »
    It's offensive as is manure and lolerpool are because the general demographics of posters to the forum are over the age of 5.

It's nothing like those two.

That term is a breach of the charter. Post it in any super thread or match thread and you'll get carded.

The Humour thread can be easily avoided by not clicking into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It would be interesting if everyone made a point of reporting EVERYTHING that breached the rules, would the modding team be up it? No point in reacting 24 hours later after all as the damage is done by then and others may foolishly react not appreciating that a post has been flagged.

so calling Chelsea "Chelski" is a cardable offence? Yup, damn right it is.

Apply how you guys thought about that one to the humour thread and you see the problem. Also to note that 3 of the people defending it are 3 people who like to have "craic" on it.
    That term is a breach of the charter. Post it in any super thread or match thread and you'll get carded.

The Humour thread can be easily avoided by not clicking into it.

yes, so the charter is breached. Its constantly breached on the humour thread by people who have, shall we say, dodgy disciplinary records here but it goes ignored. This is a site upon which trolls are banned, why are they not banned on a thread they troll on

eagle eye wrote: »

I don't think anyone finds the terms actually offensive. They are just a way to rise other posters and are pretty childish let's face it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Why? If things have generally stayed civil, why feel the need to close it?

If I remember right, this was actually something that came about because of a previous feedback thread; it was requested by the members and met with positive approval that if a thread had run its course, it should be locked to keep the board clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I don't think anyone finds the terms actually offensive. They are just a way to rise other posters and are pretty childish let's face it

Yep.

The use of Manure, Lollerpool etc are good indicators that you are dealing with a special case.

If you are going to try and make a joke at another clubs expense at least try and be a bit creative.

Like instead of Manure say The Fertilizers, things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mna Utd works for me :)

oh and hang on, a ton of images on the thread are from a website which is there specifically for the purposes of trolling.

seems simple to me. Tidy it up and ban trolling on it, or call it the trolling thread (homer simpsons cake :p ) so there is no distortion

eagle eye wrote: »

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

oh and hang on, a ton of images on the thread are from a website which is there specifically for the purposes of trolling.

seems simple to me. Tidy it up and ban trolling on it, or call it the trolling thread (homer simpsons cake :p ) so there is no distortion

It's a humour thread, nobody speaks and random point scoring images gets put up.

Ignore it if it offends you, problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Tbh terms like Lolerpool and manure are extremely childish, if you use them you're not showing yourself in a good light. If your the kind to get "offended" by them you shouldn't be posting on an Internet forum full stop. As someone who has been carded TWICE for saying the word "Chelski" which is not even the same thing I just believe the whole soccer forum moderation of "banter" to be WAY WAY WAY over the top. It's soccer for ****s sake. It's meant to be fun, the rigid moderation of these terms in here are just another reason people are running from boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Maybe the site could implement a thread ignore feature, like ignore poster.

Problem solved

• Advertisement

Set up a completely unmoderated sub forum ala thunderdome and good luck and God bless if u post in there.

/Kidding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I question your sincerity in complaining about the humour thread or you are oblivious to the purpose of it.

There's nothing wrong with it. There was nothing wrong with it last year either.
    Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I have called Hoffenheim 'Hoppenheim' for years in the Bundesliga thread because they're owned by Dietmar Hopp. I've never been carded. Chelski is not offensive at all and it is pathetic people get yellow cards for saying it.

Anyone who gets offended by someone saying Chelski needs to put on their big boy pants and grow the f*ck up.

I like the idea of an ignore thread button as well. Some threads are repeatedly ruined by one guy in particular because others keep biting when he trolls. It would be nice to hide them like I hide his posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Oat23 wrote: »
    I have called Hoffenheim 'Hoppenheim' for years in the Bundesliga thread because they're owned by Dietmar Hopp. I've never been carded. Chelski is not offensive at all and it is pathetic people get yellow cards for saying it.

Anyone who gets offended by someone saying Chelski needs to put on their big boy pants and grow the f*ck up.

I like the idea of an ignore thread button as well. Some threads are repeatedly ruined by one guy in particular because others keep biting when he trolls. It would be nice to hide them like I hide his posts.

People are too precious and the mods pander to it. Grown men getting offended by that sort of nonsense need to cop the **** on

LiamoSail wrote: »
    People are too precious and the mods pander to it. Grown men getting offended by that sort of nonsense need to cop the **** on

And equally, grown men who post such nonsense should as you say "cop the funk on"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement