Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motivation clinic for weight loss - Advice needed

Options
  • 30-05-2016 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hello,
    Have tried many things and checkups with various doctors didn't help at all. Came across above last week and wondering if anyone has any advice or would like to share their or their friends experience.
    Has anyone been to above clinics in Blanchardstown or Swords? If yes which one would you recommend.

Thank you very much in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

konline wrote: »
    Hello,
    Have tried many things and checkups with various doctors didn't help at all. Came across above last week and wondering if anyone has any advice or would like to share their or their friends experience.
    Has anyone been to above clinics in Blanchardstown or Swords? If yes which one would you recommend.

Thank you very much in advance.

It's just another over priced weight loss clinic, the same as all the others, with so called nutrition experts that in fact are untrained people who know nothing.
    If you're really motivated to lose weight invest in a personal trainer and book an appointment with a real nutritionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Please don't waste your money. I don't have time to type out my horrendous experience there right now but I can assure you i have nothing good to say about them.

As the previous poster said, if you have money to spend a PT and decent nutritionist is the way to go.

If you've no money, there is a wealth of information online, including the stickies on this forum. Download myfitnesspal to your phone and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

+1 with Katgurl.

Gave me a serious complex about why i ate what i ate and when. (turns out im just greedy and a bit lazy no hidden bullying in school or hateful parents or anything)

became boarder line obsessive after it. the stuff they spout about special bars and soups is all money making snake oil stuff. they LOOVEEE the mccambridge bread their plans are Protein based, turkey, chicken etc. Low in carbs and Low in Fat. its the typical carbs are bad and make you fat stichk when really you need a balance not all carbs are bad not all fats are bad.

Yes you will probably lose weight but keeping it off and not feeling like **** was a struggle for me. this time ive kept it off and kept going for longer and feel like ive changed me lifestyle instead of just what i eat.

Ive lost over 6.5 stone in the past year and a half though the old reliable way, slow and steady, eating normal food loads of water and exercising. I went to my GP for weigh ins to get me started.

He referred me to a dietian and i got my head sorted around all the nonsense you read and is spouted around the place.

best of luck with it though, id recommend your GP if you have a good relationship with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Yeah I heard it's expensive and they absolutely mess with your head.
    A bit like the Catholic Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Please, please don't waste your money! I tried it and did lose weight but it was very hard work. I hated the food I was eating, I was hungry and grumpy and absolutely predictably, when I stopped this entirely unsustainable way of eating, I gained all the weight back and a bit more.

We all want magic, rapid weight loss but the only way to do it is to make changes that work with your life and are sustainable in the long term. These days I basically eat lean meat/fish/poultry, tons of veg and moderate carbs. I do some exercise. I also eat out regularly and can have a few drinks at the weekend. I am losing, consistently, around 1.5lbs per week. It's slow, steady and most importantly, completely doable for life.

Motivation is very expensive...with that money you could get personal training and see a dietician. If you need or want weekly accountability, Slimming World have groups everywhere and they cost less than the price of the bars/soups/supplements that MWL will have you buying each week. There are apps like My Fitness Pal to calorie count, Couch to 5k to start running etc.

I know I've made the mistake of thinking that if I spend a lot then a) it must work and b) I will definitely follow it as I won't 'waste' that money. That's BS. Also I think there's a part of me that thinks spending a fortune IS the hard work which ultimately leads to failure.

I really hope that you choose an alternative BUT if you don't, I do wish you the best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Katgurl wrote:
    Please don't waste your money. I don't have time to type out my horrendous experience there right now but I can assure you i have nothing good to say about them.

Gave me a serious complex about why i ate what i ate and when. (turns out im just greedy and a bit lazy no hidden bullying in school or hateful parents or anything)

EMF2010 wrote:
    Please, please don't waste your money! I tried it and did lose weight but it was very hard work. I hated the food I was eating, I was hungry and grumpy and absolutely predictably, when I stopped this entirely unsustainable way of eating, I gained all the weight back and a bit more.

Couldn't agree more. Did it last year and got down to a weight I was delighted with and felt great about myself. It was 7 lbs heavier than I had set my target at at the start and told my consultant that I was happy as I was and wanted to start the maintenance plan now that I had got to where I wanted to be. She basically told me that I had / needed to lose that last half stone and completely knocked my new found confidence out of me. Needless to say, here I am now, heavier than when I started and over a grand poorer. Not at all worth it in my opinion but if you do decide to do it the best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭konline

Thank you all for your valuable feedback, much appreciated. Still undecided, tried a few alternatives and did all the tests recommended by GP, nothing found and nothing changed. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

konline wrote: »
    Thank you all for your valuable feedback, much appreciated. Still undecided, tried a few alternatives and did all the tests recommended by GP, nothing found and nothing changed. Thanks again.

Did you try a PT and nutritionist?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Did you try a PT and nutritionist dietitian?

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

OP, there are a couple of things you need to address:

* your mindset
    * your diet
    * exercise

All the doctors or clinics in the world won't help unless you genuinely commit to making changes that may not be easy at first and require discipline.

You probably need guidance on improving your diet. Yes the information is all out there but there's a lot of misinformation dressed up as fact that can obscure what you need to know. Maybe a dietitian might be useful.

A trainer would help you improve your exercise. You do not necessarily need one but it might provide an impetus to commit to regular exercise. But ultimately if there is anything that gets you moving, get doing it regularly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement