Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job hunting while full time employed

Options
  • 30-05-2016 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is probably a stupid question but how do people go about job hunting when they're in full time employment in another location?

I'm currently in a job which involves a 5 hour commute each day. I'm out of the house before 6 and usually get home around 6 but lately this is becoming later and later. I know lots of people have similar commutes but I can't face it anymore.

It's having a serious affect on my physical and mental health. I have no work life balance. I'm in tears and sick to my stomach when my alarm goes off each morning. Even the thought of having to work out a month's notice seems like more than I can handle. I've nearly been in tears all morning as I spotted that meetings mean I won't be home before 8 all this week which means I only have an hour to myself before I go to bed.

I've started looking for work near where I live but I don't know what to do if I get called for an interview. I need to give at least a month's notice if I want to take holidays and my employers are really inflexible with working from home. I've just come back from extended sick leave so can't take sick days either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

....I'm in tears and sick to my stomach when my alarm goes off each morning .... I've nearly been in tears all morning as I spotted that meetings mean I won't be home before 8 all this week which means I only have an hour to myself before I go to bed.

I've just come back from extended sick leave so can't take sick days either.

Go back to your GP and tell them the real story - it doesn't sound like you are fit for work yet. If they aren't sympathetic, go to a different GP.

You may need to resign before you have another job lined up. Usually you wouldn't be entitled to welfare if you do this - but if your doctor signs off that the current job is no longer possible given your health status, then there is an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Is your commute a drive or on public transport, could you bring a laptop and look for work while travelling.

5 hours commuting isn't healthy either way, apart from the commute do you like the job, could you move closer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Go back to your GP and tell them the real story - it doesn't sound like you are fit for work yet. If they aren't sympathetic, go to a different GP.
    There are very few people who would be fit for that type of working day. Crazy commute combined with very long hours is infeasible to most unless absolutely desperate or more than adequately compensated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

You may need to resign before you have another job lined up. Usually you wouldn't be entitled to welfare if you do this - but if your doctor signs off that the current job is no longer possible given your health status, then there is an exception.

+1

go back to your GP and explain the situation.

this is a clear case of work related stress (unless there is anything else going on)

sometimes its best to give up the job and take some time if you can afford it.

or if you have a good relationship with Hr or your manager go to them ask for reduced working hours, can you work from home etc.

Take it handy no job is worth your health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

+1

go back to your GP and explain the situation.

this is a clear case of work related stress (unless there is anything else going on)

sometimes its best to give up the job and take some time if you can afford it.

or if you have a good relationship with Hr or your manager go to them ask for reduced working hours, can you work from home etc.

Take it handy no job is worth your health.

Work related stress or commute related stress?

Needs must and all that, but 30 hours per week of commuting is madness and takes a massive toll.

What changed OP or did you take the job knowing you'd spend so much time travelling to and from work?

Is there any way you can get digs close to the office for weeknights?

• Advertisement
Advertisement