Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with neighbours and landlord.

Options
  • 30-05-2016 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

So I have posted on here a few weeks ago about having problems with the neighbours below us. We are sharing a house that is split into two. Since they moved in 9 months ago they have being throwing parties most weekends and being noisy in general. The landlord has being in with them a few times about this but nothing has changed. When we were moving in the landlord said there would be no parties. On friday night there was a party below us again we have a 3 week old baby and we couldnt get him settled. On Saturday we went to the landlord and told him this. He said he would talk to them in a few days time. I said I wanted him to talk to them that day because I knew they would throw another party that night. He never went into them and off course that night the house was full off people again. I had to leave the house at 11pm that night with my child and girlfriend to go sleep in a friends house. Is there anything that can be done.. This is not fair on us and our child.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Micky8728 wrote: »
    So I have posted on here a few weeks ago about having problems with the neighbours below us. We are sharing a house that is split into two. Since they moved in 9 months ago they have being throwing parties most weekends and being noisy in general. The landlord has being in with them a few times about this but nothing has changed. When we were moving in the landlord said there would be no parties. On friday night there was a party below us again we have a 3 week old baby and we couldnt get him settled. On Saturday we went to the landlord and told him this. He said he would talk to them in a few days time. I said I wanted him to talk to them that day because I knew they would throw another party that night. He never went into them and off course that night the house was full off people again. I had to leave the house at 11pm that night with my child and girlfriend to go sleep in a friends house. Is there anything that can be done.. This is not fair on us and our child.

Phone the guards next time it happens or try speaking to your neighbours and let them know you have a baby

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'd tell the landlord you have to move out because of it and he may change his tune....

Any inkling of a party and I would be calling the cops also, that's really unfair, especially if there is a baby in the house....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

The Guards won't be able to do anything as its private property and no criminal offence has occurred. The Guards can politely ask the person to turn down music etc and the partying neighbour can politely respond "no", Guards can't force their way in and rip stereo out of the wall.

Landlord and Council is your two outlets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Micky8728

Thanks guys. Having being back to the house since sat night. Yeah was nearly going call the guards. They couldnt do anything about the noise but they were smoking weed below us and it was stinking out our flat.. I text the landlord sat night when i was leaving and he hasnt responded yet. Im going to call to his his house later and see what he has to say for himself.

Is there any way the council or social welfare could get me temporary housing for a few weeks till I found somewhere else or will I just have to stick it out. Really dont want to go back to live there. Pointless paying rent and never getting a moments peace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Persist with the landlord. Mention to him if he does not take immediate action you will open a case with the Prtb against him and the other tenants for breach of your right to peaceful enjoyment of your apartment. This you are entitled to do if he doesn't act. Re: council unless you are in receipt of welfare or rent allowance/ HAP their is nothing they can do.

• Advertisement

I am on social welfare at the minute. I am not getting rent allowance though. I give the forms to the landlord to fill out about 3 months ago. And he keeps fobbing us off when ever we ask about it.. Who should I contact??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I am on social welfare at the minute. I am not getting rent allowance though. I give the forms to the landlord to fill out about 3 months ago. And he keeps fobbing us off when ever we ask about it.. Who should I contact??

It gets worse. So you are probably in need of rent allowance if you're applying for it. Landlord knows this but is making excuses not to complete the forms. So as well as peaceful enjoyment your also loosing out on essential social payments. Talk to the community social welfare officer explain that landlord is refusing to sign forms, that you can't afford to continue paying. Are you in a lease, how long there, is there anywhere else you can reasonably afford to live.

Dont have a lease. And didnt hav to give a deposit when I moved in. We are living there since December 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

Dont have a lease. And didnt hav to give a deposit when I moved in. We are living there since December 2014.

Have you spoken to the PRTB?

From sounds of things I would say landlord not registered hence he's not filling out your forms and not declaring your rent.

Can't see the landlord doing anything as it's in his interest to do nothing and just receive rent and he'll have no problem filling a vacant unit. I would talk to the PRTB in an effort to force him to register his property and prevent some other person being put in the position that you are now in.

He is registered with the PRTB. I received a letter a few weeks back saying that the landlord had updated the tenents in his property. I went to the comunity welfare officer today about my problem and the told me to contact the county council. I also emailed the PRTB and they to me to fill out a dispute form

• Advertisement
Advertisement