Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Protein, Low Carb - High Cholesterol?

• 30-05-2016 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

Over the last 6 months I have made an effort to lose weight, more specifically lose some fat. I now exercise frequently, and have adopted a higher protein, lower carb diet.

In October I had blood tests done, showed my cholesterol was a healthy "4". Got blood results back today, and it's up to a "5.2", and specifically the LDL was at a high level. Doctor flagged it, as nothing to be alarmed about but to be mindful of,he said it was quite a spike (I had consistently had healthy cholesterol levels). Coincidence? I think not.

Has anybody else found this? Perhaps I'm eating unhealthy proteins? I know the egg myth has been busted, so it's probabably not to do with my egg consumption (maybe 10 eggs a week).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you're eating low carb, is it safe to assume you're eating high fat?

Do you have a breakdown of your carb/fat/protein balance by any chance?

Eating fat will most likely increase cho levels, but there's more to it than just a high level. There's more to it than even a high level of LDL. Particle size within the LDL group is a much bigger factor.

Did you get any sort of indication as to your VLDL levels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Hi Hanley,

Thanks for your reply. I got the results over the phone from the doctor, so didn't get any more than I've given you (he ran through other things like iron, blood sugar.. etc, which were all good).

It is fair to say I'm eating high fat. From myfitnesspal logging it would seem to be a split of about 20% carbs, 45% fat, 35% protein in a daily intake of 1900-2100 calories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hanley wrote: »
    If you're eating low carb, is it safe to assume you're eating high fat?

Do you have a breakdown of your carb/fat/protein balance by any chance?

Eating fat will most likely increase cho levels, but there's more to it than just a high level. There's more to it than even a high level of LDL. Particle size within the LDL group is a much bigger factor.

Did you get any sort of indication as to your VLDL levels?

On HFLC about 1 in 3 will increase LDL. The other 2/3 don't. HDL nearly always increases and triglycerides drop.

People losing weight often see a jump in cholesterol while dropping weight as fat is mobilised.

Total cholesterol tells you nothing of your risk level. LDL particle size, oxidised LDL, HDL/Triglycerides ratio seem to correlate better but as to whether getting your bloods into optimum levels of those variables will reduce your risk I haven't seen much good evidence.

If your that worried get a calcification test done, you may as well be looking at tea leaves as TC levels

Advertisement