Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1070 or 1080 for 1440p gaming?

Options
  • 30-05-2016 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I know that it is still early but the 1080 AIB cards were more expensive then I anticipated and it has left me wondering about getting the 1070 instead. Based on benchmark videos the 1070 can get roughly 56-75 fps on majority of the triple A's at 1440p, That is great but will it provide future proofing?I have to lower some settings on my 780 to achieve 60+ frame rates at 1080p and I don't really want to have to do this with a new card only a couple months after it releases, I know we still have to wait and see what sort of prices the 1070 AIB Cards but am I better off taking the hit now and paying 660 euro(Cheapest I could find AIB card) or getting a 1070 if the prices are better and maybe picking up a second one sometime in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

My take is really I'm not seeing a big enough jump from the 1070 to the 1080 for the cost. Tbh if you want a card that is likely to have real staying power you'd wait till the 1080 Ti, probably. I'll be getting the 1070 and weighing up whether I should get the 1080 Ti when that's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PCSharkey

I can barely afford a 1080 so I think the 1080ti is out of the question unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

PCSharkey wrote: »
    I can barely afford a 1080 so I think the 1080ti is out of the question unfortunately.

Most benchmarks I seen for 1440p are on max settings.

I'm kinda in same boat you. I'm still considering 1080 /1070. The 1070 makes more sense for me for the amount I actually play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

They seem to be pushing the 1080 as the "1440p card" alright But I agree while it can play all current AAA games at 60fps on that resolution, you do have to wonder, how long that will last?
    ...Given the price of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

1070 is the sweet spot, same way as the 970 was versus the 980 - huge price premium for not so much gain. The 1070 is basically a 980Ti class card so any game should run excellently at 1440p ultra settings. 'Future proofing' gets used too often - realistically if you want a card that can run all new releases at 1440p ultra for years to come, the only way to ensuring that is to spend a crazy amount of money in one swoop, but the performance per euro is totally skewed that way. Most of us that do play at 1440p ultra just upgrade on a yearly basis rather than do that, because it's better value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    They seem to be pushing the 1080 as the "1440p card" alright But I agree while it can play all current AAA games at 60fps on that resolution, you do have to wonder, how long that will last?
    ...Given the price of it

Well 1070 is on par with 980ti. Which I would have a considered a 1440p card.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PCSharkey

Well 1070 is on par with 980ti. Which I would have a considered a 1440p card.

Yeah I was looking at the guru 3d benchmarks and they are great with the 1070 beating the titan x in some cases, I know that the 1070 doesn't beat the titan x in other people's bench marks but the results are close enough, I think I might side with the 1070 and maybe buy a second next year.

I'm building a rig for a mate and I'm selling my current gpu to him so I have until the end of the month to decide. Are there anymore AIB non founders addition cards to be released for the 1080?

Advertisement