Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are usual Kennels warm enough?

• 30-05-2016 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

So we're getting a dog in the next while and I'm on the look out for a suitable Kennel.

- Just wanted to ask for opinions....Are usual Kennels warm enough? - ie the very basic thin walled wooden box, often with a high roof no door/large doorway etc.

I just get the impression they are a bit miserable and would the poor dog not be a tad cold during the colder winter months?

Obviously they have their coat but some dogs are better prepped than others etc.

- Should I be looking for one with the plastic flaps as a minimum etc?

* I'd be putting in an appropriate layer of changeable bedding and so on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Dogs are pack animals meaning they like to share the same lodgings as the rest of their pack (i.e. you and the family), so my recommendation would be to either keep them in the house or else move everyone into a kennel :-)

Definitely don't stick the poor thing outside at night! A kennel for shelter when you are out and about during the day should have some insulation so that it's not a sweat box during warm weather or an ice box in Winter.

If you are planning on getting a dog purely to stick them outside all the time then you would really need to ask yourself why you are bothering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Plus 1 on what Henry porter said.. no dogs like to be outside all the time. They are pack animals and like to be with their families.

If you are considering a kennel for sheltering purposes that different.

Properly made kennels don’t have a high roof and huge door ….. they should be raised off the ground, sizing rules goes a fully grown down should be able to stand up down the back and turn around – not too big or too small.. a good pet store can advise you on the correct sizing.
    Vet bed bedding is a must for dryness and warmth – plus not chewable for the most part.

Kennels should be kept is a sheltered place to avoid too much wind… and with a view of your back door – otherwise the dog probably won’t use it at all.

I’m going to be very honest OP and say many many dogs who are left outside and sleep outside won’t use their kennels they will sit at the back door staring and wanting to come in and be part of the family = fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Mango Joe wrote: »
    So we're getting a dog in the next while and I'm on the look out for a suitable Kennel.

- Just wanted to ask for opinions....Are usual Kennels warm enough? - ie the very basic thin walled wooden box, often with a high roof no door/large doorway etc.

I just get the impression they are a bit miserable and would the poor dog not be a tad cold during the colder winter months?

Do you mean like zooplus ones? I had one that we got when Bailey was a pup... I don't know why we got it - just assumed all dogs need/want a kennel lol and he barely set foot in it. We had it 4 years (I sold it to make room for a shed) with outside toys/balls etc in it and it did hold up fine but there's no way I'd let a dog sleep in it because it was too thin. Maybe take a look on adverts etc - you can see the difference between flatpack types ones and handmade ones - there's no comparison.

Advertisement