Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment Gateway and Merchant Account

Options
  • 30-05-2016 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I'm trying to find best Payment Gateway And Merchant Account for my website and online shop. I spoke to Sage but they couldn't say how much I would pay for merchant account. They only say how much I will pay monthly but I cant find what are the fees if I go over free transactions included in Flex Plan.
    Any one is using SagePay and how much they pay? Are You happy with sage.

I also want to ask about Stripe.com is anyone who is customer of stripe? Are they good?

Who would you reccomend? Mayne some other Company?

I applied to AIB MERCHANT SERVICES but they refused my application as they dont support my business idea.

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You need a good reason to be paying for a merchant account these days. If you do a search on here for stripe you will get quite a few results. I use them always found it very good I don't have in on my site but integration looks pretty straight forward.

Thats mad about AIB is your idea a bit "alternative" or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 michael_axor

jimmii wrote: »
    You need a good reason to be paying for a merchant account these days. If you do a search on here for stripe you will get quite a few results. I use them always found it very good I don't have in on my site but integration looks pretty straight forward.

Thats mad about AIB is your idea a bit "alternative" or something?

Thanks for answer jimmii.

We are creating some Website where some Professionals will register, they will have some kind of own profile. 1. they will pay membership fees, this is why we need to accept online payments, 2. They will have access to our online shop where they can sale something... We are processing payments and then we send money to our members.

I think this is why AIB refused our application.

I'm angry because we are customer of AIB for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

We are creating some Website where some Professionals will register, they will have some kind of own profile. 1. they will pay membership fees, this is why we need to accept online payments, 2. They will have access to our online shop where they can sale something... We are processing payments and then we send money to our members.

You're better off without AIB Merchant Services, total rip off. Can you look into Stripe/Realex/PayPal?

sozbox wrote: »
    You're better off without AIB Merchant Services, total rip off. Can you look into Stripe/Realex/PayPal?

PayPal is too expensive. With Stripe I don't need a merchant account which is good and is less expensive vs PayPal :) Realex will be my next target. But I need to have a Merchant Account, I don't know if they have some friendly merchant bank.

I would like to open an account with Sage, but again I need a merchant account. They work with elavon. But I don't know how much Elavon charges for transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It sounds like you're going to be processing payments on behalf of your members? If that's the case it'll be hard for you to get a merchant account with most providers, as you'd essentially be acting as a payment intermediary. The payment for membership bit shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement

Blacknight wrote: »
    It sounds like you're going to be processing payments on behalf of your members? If that's the case it'll be hard for you to get a merchant account with most providers, as you'd essentially be acting as a payment intermediary. The payment for membership bit shouldn't be an issue.

That's right Blacknight, we will process payments on behalf of our members. But they don't have to use our online shop. This will be only kind of extra option for members. They will have to decide if they want to go ahead or not.
    Generally I'm disappointed that I can't open a merchant account. I am responsible for what I'm doing...
    I signed up with Stripe. My account is active, and I explained our business idea. I hope that I will be happy, and maybe in future the banks will let me to open a merchant account.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

AIB act as an agent of First Data - he largest payment processor in the world. Its their rules that apply, not AIB's. So your local manager or what business you do wih AIB will never have a bearing on the criteria for First Data.

You will find that the rules will be the same for Elavon, (Bank of Ireland) World Pay (Ulster bank) and Payment Plus (Barclaycard). So refusal from one, may see refusal from all.
    sozbox wrote: »

You say AIBMS are a rip off and then sugges Paypal????? AIBMS will give you a rate of less than 1% if you negotiate. Paypal charge 35c + 2.1%-3.4% depending on your volume. For 2.1% rate you need to be taking in over 50k a month on Paypal.

I'm with Barclaycard MS, I have a rate of 0.7% on credit cards and 0.55% on debit cards and I would not be a "big" customer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Take a look at Stripe connect, it's designed for this type of marketplace where you charge your sellers a transaction fee. It's not particularly cheap but it give you the option of your sellers using their own Stripe accounts for receiving payments while automatically deducting your commission/transaction fees.

Make sure you work out who the seller is when you're listing your sellers products. You may need to account for VAT/VATMOSS, US Tax, returns, warranties, charge-backs, fraud etc etc etc etc.

Graham wrote: »
    Take a look at Stripe connect, it's designed for this type of marketplace where you charge your sellers a transaction fee. It's not particularly cheap but it give you the option of your sellers using their own Stripe accounts for receiving payments while automatically deducting your commission/transaction fees.

Make sure you work out who the seller is when you're listing your sellers products. You may need to account for VAT/VATMOSS, US Tax, returns, warranties, charge-backs, fraud etc etc etc etc.

Thanks Graham, day after day I can find something new about Stripe. Two days ago I discovered Connect, and I already spoke to my Web Developer about Stripe.
    Yes, it not cheap, but at least they work for "me" and they offer what I need. I have opened my Stripe account in few minutes and is active now. It looks like they support the businesses :)
    So far I'm happy, but some day I will change to Merchant Account.

VincePP wrote: »
    AIB act as an agent of First Data - he largest payment processor in the world. Its their rules that apply, not AIB's. So your local manager or what business you do wih AIB will never have a bearing on the criteria for First Data.

You will find that the rules will be the same for Elavon, (Bank of Ireland) World Pay (Ulster bank) and Payment Plus (Barclaycard). So refusal from one, may see refusal from all.

You say AIBMS are a rip off and then sugges Paypal????? AIBMS will give you a rate of less than 1% if you negotiate. Paypal charge 35c + 2.1%-3.4% depending on your volume. For 2.1% rate you need to be taking in over 50k a month on Paypal.

I'm with Barclaycard MS, I have a rate of 0.7% on credit cards and 0.55% on debit cards and I would not be a "big" customer.

We all know that traditional banks are cheaper, but why they don't support new businesses??? Maybe they should help to find some solution instead of telling me "sorry, we can't"

VincePP thanks for giving some rates :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

We all know that traditional banks are cheaper, but why they don't support new businesses??? Maybe they should help to find some solution instead of telling me "sorry, we can't"

VincePP thanks for giving some rates :)

The banks are purely agents of the various merchant services companies - neither aib, boi or Ulster have any input to the acceptance criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 NittenE39

Guys can I please check something?

I'm opening an online store to sell phones, tablets, laptop and their accessories. I spoke to AIB Merchant and they first went ahead to process the application knowing that my set is new. At later stage they asked me to send them the PayPal last 6 months statement (I had PayPal setup but as my website was not live I never used it).

I sent them all stock photos and PayPal statements which did not have any transactions. They came back to me saying they cant process the application because I don't have any experience in Merchant in last 6 months.

My question is even though they have refused it now however lets say if I get some other Merchant and use that for an year and then again get back to AIB will they take my application or once they refused my application there is no way to apply again.

Any information would be very helpful.

Just to let you know I'm with AIB from last 16 years and would like to stay with them for business as well.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I would be surprised if they didn't want to sign up a company that was trading well after 6 months. Reply to whoever rejected your application and ask them. They ask have a Talk to forum here where you could ask.

Advertisement