Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodger/Licensee notice period

Options
  • 30-05-2016 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hello,

I am currently staying in an apartment in which I rent a bedroom from the tenant. She continues to live there, and is still the official tenant. Therefore I believe this makes me a lodger/licensee.

I pay the rent to her monthly (usually in cash), though we have no contract or agreement. I paid her a deposit (which was about half a month's rent) when I moved in. I want to leave at the end of next month, but she is currently away traveling and not due to return until around the same time. She told me before she left that if I want to leave, I need to find someone else to take the room instead to replace me, as she will be coming and going over the summer and not have the time to sort that out.

However, I am reluctant to find a replacement as I do not want to be responsible for them. I want to leave and make a clean break from the place, and not have it hanging over me.

Basically I'm wondering is it enough for me to just give her notice (phone+email) that I'm intending to leave, and that's it? If I found a replacement would I then be responsible for them? In any case I doubt I will see my deposit again from her.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

No, you don't need to find someone to replace you if you are not on the lease.

You don't even really need to give her notice either. You probably won't get your deposit back if you didn't, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

No lease and paying cash to another tenant? Sounds like a dodgey sub let to me, I'd very much doubt she's tax compliant either. Realistically she's not going to chase you if you walk so I'd just do that. Deposit probably won't be seen again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

As others have said you can walk tomorrow if you've somewhere else to go. You can of course give her email/ text notice equal to frequency with which you pay out of consideration. But by the sounds of it either way she's not the type of person to give you your deposit back. You have no obligations to find a replacement as you have no lease agreement stating that and your not in a part IV tenancy under law so you have no legal obligations.

Advertisement