Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro battery issue?

Options
  • 30-05-2016 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

Hi

Ive a 15' Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), which I just updated to El Capitan. Before I updated when I clicked on the battery icon there was a field that said "Condition: Replace soon". Now it's gone. I checked in the system report and it says
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 1862
    Condition: Normal

I would prefer to change the battery if needed than to have my MBP to stop working randomly some day, possibly when I need to use it. I don't want to replace it if its not needed as batteries aren't cheap. Anyone replace their battery before? Should I replace it now or hold out?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's unlikely to just stop working. Instead it'll start acting erratic and dying after reaching a certain percentage (you may have already experienced this). That's how it is with my 2009 MBP. I never replaced it since I just have plugged in all the time. In fact, it leaving in plugged in all the time seems to hastened its demise.

I'd suggest replacing it soon. Apple only cover batteries for the first 1000 cycles. It's 6 years old, so you were lucky to get this long out of it. If you want a genuine battery, an Apple AASP will do it for you for about 130+ euro. Or you can do it yourself easily enough with a knock-off battery from Amazon/Ebay for considerable less. It's easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

It's unlikely to just stop working. Instead it'll start acting erratic and dying after reaching a certain percentage (you may have already experienced this). That's how it is with my 2009 MBP. I never replaced it since I just have plugged in all the time. In fact, it leaving in plugged in all the time seems to hastened its demise.

I'd suggest replacing it soon. Apple only cover batteries for the first 1000 cycles. It's 6 years old, so you were lucky to get this long out of it. If you want a genuine battery, an Apple AASP will do it for you for about 130+ euro. Or you can do it yourself easily enough with a knock-off battery from Amazon/Ebay for considerable less. It's easy.

Thanks. I haven't used it on the go in a long time, over a year, so I might just leave it since yours seems to be ok. Although I don't leave it plugged in the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

I would suggest installing this app - http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/
    It gives you more details about the battery status, like the current max mAh vs from when it was new..

I would keep an eye on it for a week or so and then decide if you do indeed need a replacement

I would suggest installing this app - http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/
    It gives you more details about the battery status, like the current max mAh vs from when it was new..

I would keep an eye on it for a week or so and then decide if you do indeed need a replacement

Will do, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tbrae

Hi

Ive a 15' Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), which I just updated to El Capitan. Before I updated when I clicked on the battery icon there was a field that said "Condition: Replace soon". Now it's gone. I checked in the system report and it says

I would prefer to change the battery if needed than to have my MBP to stop working randomly some day, possibly when I need to use it. I don't want to replace it if its not needed as batteries aren't cheap. Anyone replace their battery before? Should I replace it now or hold out?

I have a 2010 MBP too, and I have ordered a new battery which is due to arrive next week (there is a lengthy waiting list for genuine batteries by the way) - so i will let you know how I get on once I receive it.

• Advertisement

tbrae wrote: »
    I have a 2010 MBP too, and I have ordered a new battery which is due to arrive next week (there is a lengthy waiting list for genuine batteries by the way) - so i will let you know how I get on once I receive it.

Thanks, I didn't consider that. Where did you order it from? (if you dont mind me asking)

Advertisement