Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holles St scans

Options
  • 30-05-2016 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

So for those of you who have gone with Holles St, did you have one or two scans?

My GP said to expect a scan around 12-16 weeks and again at 20 weeks. I got a letter from them in the post asking me to call the Foetal Medicine Unit to book a scan, which I did, and they said that they only do an anatomy scan at around 21weeks? No 12 week scan.

I'm booked in to see a midwife for bloods etc around 12 weeks but the letter says that they will not have the facilities to do a scan there.

So is it just one scan now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My booking in apt was in the hospital with the consultant at 13 weeks so I had a scan. I think if it's in the Pearse street clinic with the midwives they don't have a scanner but she will find the hb with a doppler.

I had a big scan at 21 weeks in the hospital (anomaly scan) and then I've been scanned every visit I've been since 22, 28, 33, 37 weeks etc (each room has a mini scanner and they have a quick look at baby position, heartbeat and fluid !)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

My wife went Semi-private on our daughter. She had a scan every time we went in to see the consultant, like Digs has said above.
    She also had a scan around 12 weeks, and around the 20 week mark(anatomy/anomaly scan)

From talking to other people, it seems that this may not always be the case.

Are you Domino's, Public, Semi-Private or Private OP?
    It may be different depending on this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I'm going publicly, and will probably choose Domino, although I haven't been asked about that yet.

My initial booking appt is in the Pearse st clinic with the midwives, rather than in the hospital. This was decided by them and not by me. I hope I get more than just the one scan at 20 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I'm going publicly, and will probably choose Domino, although I haven't been asked about that yet.

My initial booking appt is in the Pearse st clinic with the midwives, rather than in the hospital. This was decided by them and not by me. I hope I get more than just the one scan at 20 weeks!

This is my second time public, I'm 38 weeks at the moment. First pregnancy I had the booking apt in the pearse street clinic and like you didn't get a scan. I didn't chose it either, maybe it's for first time mothers or particularly busy periods?

On my first pregnancy, like this one though, all my appointments after that were in the hospital with the consultant and I was scanned at each one.

I would imagine with the domino scheme, if you're only seen by the midwives in the satellite clinics you won't get scanned, I might be corrected on that one though. Maybe ring them to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I am public in Holles Street and at the booking appointment I got a little scan. Think they do them when they can, but a couple of years ago I think they stopped altogether for a while as they were busy.

It was a rubbish scan!! Lasted 10-20 seconds. My harmony scan was awesome. My friend got her scan last year at 13 weeks and when she mentioned to the doctor she didn't realise there was a booking scan, and she was due to go to the private clinic next door, he did a really good scan for her and told her to cancel that one. I must have made the fatal error of telling them I already had a private scan so mine was short :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I imagine the domino scheme would be booked out already!! But put your name in the list as people have to leave it once if they develop complications so chances are you will get on. If you do domino you get free evening antenatal classes.
    Domino don't scan you at your appointments. You will get that big scan at 20/21 weeks but need to book that Asap as they get very busy!

If you are public you will (more than likely) get a mini scan at each hospital appointment. Rubbish quality.

At your booking app you will probably see that they want people for studies. If you sign up they will give you another free big scan, possibly even a 3D one. They are usually at 30+ weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

If you are public in Holles Street you only get a scan at 20-22 weeks officially, but they try to get you one during your booking appointment.

You can go next door and get a private one in the Merrion, they are €125 or they are places that do it a little cheaper (such as Fem Plus in Blanchardstown). But the Merrion is better quality IMO and they give you 6+ images.

If you are private you get a scan and image at each appointment as the consultant has a mini ultra sound in their room. Not the best quality, but very reassuring.

Also if you are getting the harmony test, that includes a scan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Millem wrote: »
    I imagine the domino scheme would be booked out already!! But put your name in the list as people have to leave it once if they develop complications so chances are you will get on. If you do domino you get free evening antenatal classes.
    Domino don't scan you at your appointments. You will get that big scan at 20/21 weeks but need to book that Asap as they get very busy!

If you are public you will (more than likely) get a mini scan at each hospital appointment. Rubbish quality.

At your booking app you will probably see that they want people for studies. If you sign up they will give you another free big scan, possibly even a 3D one. They are usually at 30+ weeks.

I'm not due til Jan, do you think the domino scheme would really be booked up already?? Nobody has even asked me about it, I figured it's something that would be discussed at the booking appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I'm not due til Jan, do you think the domino scheme would really be booked up already?? Nobody has even asked me about it, I figured it's something that would be discussed at the booking appointment.

Yes!! You need to book with them directly! I rang at 6 weeks and was something like 8th on waiting list! I eventually got onto the scheme in the sept! (I was due in January!!!)
    I should if booked at 4 weeks but had originally planned on going to mt Carmel so delayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bonnie_

I am with the domino scheme and agree you need to book in directly and should do so as soon as possible. I think I was about 8 weeks when I booked and had no problem getting accepted at that stage. You will only be accepted if you are low risk. There is only one scan at 20 weeks (I got a scan privately at 10 weeks too). All my appointments are at the Pearse Street clinic and alternate with my GP. You can find the contact info to book on holles street website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement