Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you as parents feel about the gorilla shot in American zoo ?

Options
  • 30-05-2016 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

I 've gotten a lot of hassle over my opinions on this , the gorillia that was shot dead in the zoo in America . The four year old fell into the enclosure and zoo keepers shot the gorillia after ten minutes .

I have seen many people commenting on various social media about how outraged they are and that it was the child's fault , to arrest the parents etc ...

It was a magnificent animals but I'm one of the few who will measure a persons life above an animal what about you guys ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

They did the right thing in shooting it, no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The problem most people have is that it is the carelessness of the parents / zoo that led to the death of the gorilla. Putting a person's life above an animal is relative to how much of a dick the person is though. I'd take a gorilla over plenty of people I've come across!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Shoot the gorilla to save the kid then load round number 2 into the chamber and shoot the parent for letting it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Parents are solely to blame hopefully a judge makes an example out of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭TheExile1878

Tranqulise the gorilla, really shoot the parents and have the kid adopted. win/win/win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm guessing the keepers didnt just shoot the gorilla for a laugh, if they thought that they could have just tranquilised the gorilla , they would have, I doubt the fault-blame or reason the kid was in the enclosure came in to it one way or another...
    And as usual internet keyboard warriors,unconnected and unaffected by the situation ,yell, roar and bleat all sorts of meanimgless crap..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'm not a parent but my opinion is that it should never have happened at all. The zoo had a duty of care to both the animal and the child and they should have ensured there was adequate fencing to prevent anyone getting into the enclosure. They failed terribly in their obligations to both the child and the gorilla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

It's tragic, gorillas shouldnt be kept, in zoos, or anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Satriale wrote: »
    It's tragic, gorillas shouldnt be kept, in zoos, or anywhere.

What? and just let them become extinct. Super idea.

What? and just let them become extinct. Super idea.

yeah, that's what i said :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

honreal wrote:
    Shoot the gorilla to save the kid then load round number 2 into the chamber and shoot the parent for letting it happen.

This, but also I understand why it needed to be done but the fact that carelessness by humans forced this to be necessary is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

@Satriale: It does appear to be what you are saying. You said they shouldn't be kept anywhere. If they were left in the wild, they would become extinct because of the habitat destruction, poaching etc.

I heard the head keeper of Dublin Zoo on the radio this morning, and he sounded upset. He mentioned adrenaline, and also that the gorilla seemed to be curious rather than aggressive. I haven't seen any footage and don't know anything about the behaviour of gorillas, so I can't comment. It does seem an awful pity; is a tranquiliser not instant? Is that the reason they didn't use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tranqulise the gorilla, really shoot the parents and have the kid adopted. win/win/win

Tranquilising wasn't an option because of the the delay in it taking effect

@Satriale: It is actually. You said they shouldn't be kept anywhere. If they were left in the wild, they would become extinct because of the habitat destruction, poaching etc.

I heard the head keeper of Dublin Zoo on the radio this morning, and he sounded upset. He mentioned adrenaline, and also that the gorilla seemed to be curious rather than aggressive. I haven't seen any footage and don't know anything about the behaviour of gorillas, so I can't comment.

No its not.

That's a different problem, it's not solved by caging and displaying them for gawpers to dangle their brats at them.

Look at the video, that gorilla is closely enough related to you that you can probably form an opinion as to his aggressiveness or lack thereof.

Edit,
    Emphasis on "kept". I'll allow that policed national parks are a good idea, my point is that these animals are not there for our entertainment. Put them in a park and leave them alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

How did the child fall in? If the bars were big enough for a child to get through and to then fall into a pit you could see how it could happen in less than a few seconds even if the parents were there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

ted1 wrote: »
    Tranquilising wasn't an option because of the the delay in it taking effect

Yes, but they had already had 10 minutes where it seems they did nothing. I don't know, maybe that's how long it took to go and get a shotgun. Surely they should have tranquiliser darts close by, especially when they have a pit people can fall into.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How did the sprogg get into the enclosure?

He crawled in while mammy had her phone out most likely!
    When I heard her shout "mammy loves you" I was like wtf!

Whilst I'm sad the gorilla was shot, it was needed to ensure the safety of that child!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ultimately it's all situation dependent. I wouldn't generally value a human life over that of an endangered animal, but if it was my child I'd want her saved at all costs. Double standard obviously, I'm not going to defend it. But it also means I'm not going to go mad about this incident because that would be hypocritical.

There seems to have been systemic failures here. Firstly in it being possible for a person of any size to get into the enclosure. But secondly in procedures not being available for this kind of incident. Tranquilisers take time to kick in. And you don't need an angry or confused gorilla when you're worried about someone's safety.

But there must be procedures they have if a keeper's safety appears in jeopardy - attempts to distract the animal, etc etc. Were these available, were they attempted?

Obviously the parents should be on the hook for all costs involved in the incident, including the calculable cost of the death of this animal. And whatever social services should be investigating their fitness to care for their child.

Yes, but they had already had 10 minutes where it seems they did nothing. I don't know, maybe that's how long it took to go and get a shotgun. Surely they should have tranquiliser darts close by, especially when they have a pit people can fall into.

The problem is how would the gorilla react when tranquilised? No one knows
    It may have freaked and destroyed him.
    No chances can be taken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭derferjam

Anyone think of giving the gorilla food to bring it away from the child. Entice the gorilla away with its regular food and then get the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

With such a large animal, tranqs are unpredictable. In effect you end up with this brief window where the animal is - for all intents and purposes - drunk and may or may not be pissed off with the pain of a big dart in its back.

That's cool if you're just trying to capture it; seal it off, wait for the effect to overpower it and go in.
    If you're trying to prevent damage or injury, you're taking a gamble. You may escalate the situation and cause more injury (or death) than if you hadn't fired the tranq.

Perhaps there's a scenario where you can overload the dart, causing near-instantaneous unconsciousness. Then you have a dying animal that may be saved rather than a dead one. But I don't know.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mordeith wrote: »
    The problem most people have is that it is the carelessness of the parents / zoo that led to the death of the gorilla.
    honreal wrote: »

I'm assuming that you don't have kids.
    Young kids have a habit of wandering off no matter how much you watch them.
    Should the parents have assumed that the kid could have easily gotten into a enclosure with gorillas?
    The zoo is as much if not more to blame than the parents. They invite the public in and have a duty of care to both the animals and the visitors (both young and old).
    It's unfortunate but no more so than the incident with the fella that climbed into the lion enclosure in Santiago last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

A kid climbed a wall and and fell into an enclosure 30 years ago but the gorilla wasn't killed so no bad parenting rants.
    The mother probably took her eyes off him for a minute and he was gone
    How often do kids fall and hurt themselves or get into mischief if mammy or daddys back is turned for a minute.
    Im sad the ape died but apparently according to the zoo,a tranquilizer wouldn't have kicked in on time and the ape was already antagonised id imagine because of everyone shouting
    Its very upsetting but they couldn't take that chance of the kid dying. I think yhey done the right thing.

As for that other fker who jumped in naked to the lions den in a suicide attempt .... 3 lions dead because of that man and people seem less angry about that

As for that other fker who jumped in naked to the lions den in a suicide attempt .... 3 lions dead because of that man and people seem less angry about that
    The fella obviously has mental issues. Go easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

people are going to play the blame game now instead of using this incident as a lesson. The zoo keepers need to be trained for such a situation and parents should have their kids tightly guarded in potential dangerous environments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Massive design flaw in the zoo. Zoos are aimed at families and every animal enclosure should be designed so that a kid cant fall in to an enclosure of an animal. By the news reports the kid squeezed through a barrier and dropped 15 foot. He should never have been able to squeeze through that. I'm all for vigilant supervision, but some sort of child-proofing should have been standard because a gap big enough for a 4yo to get through then a sheer drop of 15 foot is a ridiculous design. A child could easily get pushed in accidentally by a bigger kid or an adult.

It was unfortunate that the animal had to be shot, but I don't think there was any other way to safely get the child out. I think a lot of the video clips on the news channels have been edited but the one I saw on Liveleak was pretty scary for any parent -especially when the gorilla is dragging the boy through the water like a rag doll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

kbannon wrote:
    The fella obviously has mental issues. Go easy!

Ah I know but the child is a child! He didn't know what he was at ( same for the lion guy probably now that you say it). I have seen on Facebook alot of people saying the child life shouldn't have been put before the apes. I definitely don't agree with that. If it was there child it would be different

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It was a horrible situation but it had to be done. Human life is more important than any other animal.

• Advertisement

people are going to play the blame game now instead of using this incident as a lesson. The zoo keepers need to be trained for such a situation and parents should have their kids tightly guarded in potential dangerous environments
    For visitors, a zoo should not be a dangerous environment!

Advertisement