Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you as parents feel about the gorilla shot in American zoo ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Post by a Zookeeper on Facebook

Tried to copy and paste the text but it won't let me for some reason.

https://www.facebook.com/amanda.odonoughue/posts/1203379586363094

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

steddyeddy wrote: »
    So let me get this straight the parent is zero at fault here?

I hate this. Sorry, i know that's strong, but this attitude, searching for a specific person to fault, it stinks. I've personally known 3 people who committed suicide over the last few decades, and with all three, this kind of thing happening was the trigger. They made a split second mistake, and the blame crowd came out to publicly hang them. I cannot overstate how much I think this attitude stinks.

People are flawed human beings, yes, the parents lost sight of their 4 year old in a crowded place for a few seconds and he crawled through a hedge. I have no doubt they are in shock. I watched the video of that child being picked up and dragged around... my blood ran cold, and it's not even my child. It's the stuff of nightmares.

But the abuse being thrown at them is outrageous. I've seen comments saying the child should be taken off them, the boy should have been shot instead, they should have been shot or thrown to the gorillas.

And I guarantee you all these conservation expert gorilla lovers aren't vegan cyclists either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

they had to shoot the gorilla, which i find quite sad, but the parents are not to blame one iota and a judge would agree. A zoo must have adequate security in place to house these beautiful animals, not fencing a child can get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Electric Sex Pants

pwurple wrote: »
    I hate this. Sorry, i know that's strong, but this attitude, searching for a specific person to fault, it stinks. I've personally known 3 people who committed suicide over the last few decades, and with all three, this kind of thing happening was the trigger. They made a split second mistake, and the blame crowd came out to publicly hang them. I cannot overstate how much I think this attitude stinks.

People are flawed human beings, yes, the parents lost sight of their 4 year old in a crowded place for a few seconds and he crawled through a hedge. I have no doubt they are in shock. I watched the video of that child being picked up and dragged around... my blood ran cold, and it's not even my child. It's the stuff of nightmares.

But the abuse being thrown at them is outrageous. I've seen comments saying the child should be taken off them, the boy should have been shot instead, they should have been shot or thrown to the gorillas.

And I guarantee you all these conservation expert gorilla lovers aren't vegan cyclists either.

The parents deserve every bit of hate they get, it is their responsibility to always make sure they know where their child is, no one else's.

And also its a 400lb gorilla, if he wanted to kill the child then he would have. He could have ripped a fully grown man in half no problem so a child would have been nothing.

He was not a mindless killing machine like some people out there seem to think. Gorillas are very intelligent and are paternal/maternal creatures, he recognized that it was an infant and posed no threat. In fact experts have came out and said that he was protecting the child and felt the screaming band of moron humans were a threat. Yes he dragged the child through the water, but he was not trying to (and didn't) harm him. Gorillas dont tend to fight or harm other animals for no reason, they are not like us (or chimps for that matter). They only attack when feeling threatened and he knew that that tiny child was no threat to him!

He did not deserve to die because of human stupidity. If the parents are receiving some backlash then good! Their should be some fallout for the unnecessary death of such a magnificent (and kind) creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yes why bother first finding out what happened when you can lynch parents straight away.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yes why bother first finding out what happened when you can lynch parents straight away.

Because unless someone grabbed the child out of the parents arms and threw him into the gorilla pit then the parents are to blame!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The gorilla was in the cage 10 minutes with the child. It was very capable of killing it and it didn't.

@electric sex pants

What do you mean unless, you said parents are to blame and should be hounded on social media. There is no unless for you... You already decided who is to blame and that they should be punished by mob.

The gorilla was in the cage 10 minutes with the child. It was very capable of killing it and it didn't.

Oh yes we can conclude for definite what gorilla will do after observing it for ten minutes. All those scientists spending years observing them are wasting time and money. Seriously this is getting ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

The parents deserve every bit of hate they get, it is their responsibility to always make sure they know where their child is, no one else's.

Do you blame Jamie Bulgers mother for his kidnap and murder? or Sarah Pains?

Genuine question by the way

Or what about the kid whose parents standing right beside them when they fall and break their arm?

Not saying that's what happened here but then I don't know what happened here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

And also its a 400lb gorilla, if he wanted to kill the child then he would have. He could have ripped a fully grown man in half no problem so a child would have been nothing.

He was not a mindless killing machine like some people out there seem to think. Gorillas are very intelligent and are paternal/maternal creatures, he recognized that it was an infant and posed no threat. In fact experts have came out and said that he was protecting the child and felt the screaming band of moron humans were a threat. Yes he dragged the child through the water, but he was not trying to (and didn't) harm him. Gorillas dont tend to fight or harm other animals for no reason, they are not like us (or chimps for that matter). They only attack when feeling threatened and he knew that that tiny child was no threat to him!

He did not deserve to die because of human stupidity. If the parents are receiving some backlash then good! Their should be some fallout for the unnecessary death of such a magnificent (and kind) creature.

Great to see a Gorilla expert on boards. Another Gorilla expert had a different read on it and understood that the course of action taken by the zoo was the only one available to them. Amanda O'Donoghue was a zookeeper who worked with Gorillas and her read was as follows.
    I have watched this video over again, and with the silverback's postering, and tight lips, it's pretty much the stuff of any keeper's nightmares, and I have had MANY while working with them. This job is not for the complacent. Gorillas are kind, curious, and sometimes silly, but they are also very large, very strong animals. I always brought my OCD to work with me. checking and rechecking locks to make sure my animals and I remained separated before entering to clean.

I keep hearing that the Gorilla was trying to protect the boy. I do not find this to be true. Harambe reaches for the boys hands and arms, but only to position the child better for his own displaying purposes.

Males do very elaborate displays when highly agitated, slamming and dragging things about. Typically they would drag large branches, barrels and heavy weighted balls around to make as much noise as possible. Not in an effort to hurt anyone or anything (usually) but just to intimidate. It was clear to me that he was reacting to the screams coming from the gathering crowd.
    Harambe was most likely not going to separate himself from that child without seriously hurting him first (again due to mere size and strength, not malicious intent) Why didn't they use treats? well, they attempted to call them off exhibit (which animals hate), the females in the group came in, but Harambe did not. What better treat for a captive animal than a real live kid!
    They didn't use Tranquilizers for a few reasons, A. Harambe would've taken too long to become immobilized, and could have really injured the child in the process as the drugs used may not work quickly enough depending on the stress of the situation and the dose B. Harambe would've have drowned in the moat if immobilized in the water, and possibly fallen on the boy trapping him and drowning him as well.

Many zoos have the protocol to call on their expertly trained dart team in the event of an animal escape or in the event that a human is trapped with a dangerous animal. They will evaluate the scene as quickly and as safely as possible, and will make the most informed decision as how they will handle the animal.

But sure what would she know…

The parents don't deserve any backlash imo. They did not design the enclosure that created this problem and anyone who has looked after small kids knows how easily they can slip away from you while you are momentarily distracted. Everybody is human and I sincerely doubt this was a case of serious parental neglect but this will haunt them for the rest of their lives. To have it compounded by strangers on the internet calling for you to be shot or to have your children taken off you is beyond horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Let's get real for a second. It's an animal locked in a zoo for our entertainment. Ching ching ching go the turnstiles. He's dead already.

Every consum-o-bot westerner like us is responsible for the death of every other gorilla, but this one has a name and is in a cutsey youtube video, so obviously he should be permitted to rip a four year old into tiny pieces in front of his parents.

I'm delighted you are so interested in conservation. Really hope you are walking the walk, but somehow, seeing as you are posting on the internet like the rest of us, I seriously doubt it.

Lackey wrote: »

Do you blame Jamie Bulgers mother for his kidnap and murder? or Sarah Pains?

Genuine question by the way

Or what about the kid whose parents standing right beside them when they fall and break their arm?

Not saying that's what happened here but then I don't know what happened here.

I am not familiar enough with the details of each of those cases to make an informed response. However they are obviously both murders and are completely different from the current situation.

And there is a big difference between falling, which can happen no matter how observant a parent is being and leaving the parents and climbing into a enclosed Gorilla pit. they are not fair comparisons.

pwurple wrote: »
    Let's get real for a second. It's an animal locked in a zoo for our entertainment. Ching ching ching go the turnstiles. He's dead already.

Every consum-o-bot westerner like us is responsible for the death of every other gorilla, but this one has a name and is in a cutsey youtube video, so obviously he should be permitted to rip a four year old into tiny pieces in front of his parents.

I'm delighted you are so interested in conservation. Really hope you are walking the walk, but somehow, seeing as you are posting on the internet like the rest of us, I seriously doubt it.

Modern zoos are not purely for entertainment, they are places where the animals are taken care of, and that needs to be funded somehow. Letting people observe is a good way of doing that. Its not ideal i agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

It was a magnificent animals but I'm one of the few who will measure a persons life above an animal what about you guys ?

Unless you are talking with psychopaths or compulsive liars, I'd say you're in the vast, vast majority.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Oh yes we can conclude for definite what gorilla will do after observing it for ten minutes. All those scientists spending years observing them are wasting time and money. Seriously this is getting ridiculous.

Yes it is getting ridiculous. There's no record out there of gorillas being inherently violent animals.

Looking at the enclosure it wouldn't take any 4 year old I know more than a couple of seconds to climb up and fall in,
    About the same length of time it took for James Bulger to be kidnapped from under his mothers nose by an 11 and 12 year old
    Or about the same length of time it takes to fall break an arm, get a bruise
    If the parents were negligent then fair enough but I'm thinking they might not have been, and that fence is way too low,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Can you imagine the outrage if the zoo didn't shoot the gorilla and it killed the child while it was trying to be rescued?

It's an very unfortunate thing to have happened but they did the right thing.

It's actually scary us humans go crazy over a death of a gorilla yet children are dieing tragically every day in the middle east and there's not a peep out of anybody.

I think the point is it wasn't a matter of child VS gorilla. The records say gorillas are not inherently dangerous towards humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Big deal, a monkey died, the earth still turns.

People get outraged over everything these days. If I was confronted by the prospect of seeing a child mauled by a gorilla and I could prevent it the gorilla gets shot every time.

Do people think that if the zoo took no action and the child was killed that the zoo wouldn't then euthanize the child killing gorilla??

If people are so concerned about these creatures maybe they can donate some money to a breathing program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Big deal, a monkey died, the earth still turns.

People get outraged over everything these days. If I was confronted by the prospect of seeing a child mauled by a gorilla and I could prevent it the gorilla gets shot every time.

If people are so concerned about these creatures maybe they can donate some money to a breathing program.

First off it's an ape, not a monkey. Secondly I'm pretty sure they can 'breathe' by themselves.
    Do people think that if the zoo took no action and the child was killed that the zoo wouldn't then euthanize the child killing gorilla??

Why would they do that? Even if the gorilla killed the child it's not as if he escaped and went on a rampage

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I am not familiar enough with the details of each of those cases to make an informed response. However they are obviously both murders and are completely different from the current situation.

And there is a big difference between falling, which can happen no matter how observant a parent is being and leaving the parents and climbing into a enclosed Gorilla pit. they are not fair comparisons.
    How are they different? In all of those cases, the parent was not watching the child for a moment and something happened.
    I think the point is it wasn't a matter of child VS gorilla. The records say gorillas are not inherently dangerous towards humans.
    So if you had kids, would you let them play within a gorilla enclosure (when the dominant adult male is there)?
    The records, as you say, show that gorillas aren't inherently dangerous!

Can't believe you still using that as your argument!
    The zoo (who don't rely on your googling records) have said they don't believe he would have intentionally caused harm to the child, but there was s high probability that he would have inadvertently caused harm!

It wasn't your child so it's easy for you to say "Google says they don't, so he wouldn't cause harm"

It means nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Anyone who thinks the gorilla was perfectly safe imagine your own child or frail mother in there with the gorilla. Then think about whether or not you would go for the head shot or if the gorilla can be trusted.

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks the gorilla was perfectly safe imagine your own child or frail mother in there with the gorilla. Then think about whether or not you would go for the head shot or if the gorilla can be trusted.

You mean if you were in a situation where it is impossible to be objective??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

Everyone who thinks the gorilla should not have been shot should be put in the pen with the gorilla. After he's flung all the excrement he can produce around, then the rape begins.

Any takers?

Didn't think so.

Them, no. Four year old boy? Fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

You mean if you were in a situation where it is impossible to be objective??

Like a Gorilla dragging a 4 year old child around in the water?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

It's a gorilla. It eats, sleeps, shags if it's lucky. It's not gonna cure cancer, it doesn't even wipe it's arse.

Bang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It eats, sleeps, shags if it's lucky. It's not gonna cure cancer,

Sounds like the majority of the human race there

Advertisement