Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinion on my first brew equipment list

• 30-05-2016 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

As I said on a previous thread, I have brewed before, but it's over 20 years ago and I've forgotten all about it. Am also back to square 1 as far as equipment is concerned. I've been looking around some of the homebrew pages and the threads here and this is what I think I need.

First, the kit. I was going to try the Muntons hand crafted Belgian ale, but then I realised that it required secondary fermentation and I'd rather avoid that the first time round as I read that it risks contamination. So I'm looking at their Oaked Ale instead.

At the previous link it states that no fermenting sugar is needed, but the kit instructions state to add a teaspoon of light spraymalt to each bottle. So I need spraymalt. Any recommendations on which type to use? Also how much would I use for this kit (I estimate 200g - 40 pints x 5g teaspoon)? When I used brewing sugar or maybe glucose all those years ago, I think I went through a kilo or so on a kit.

Any opinions on using this as a fermentation bin? I'm presuming that a tap is a handy thing to have, but please correct me if wrong.

These look like good bottles, but please recommend others if you think they're better. I'm trying to avoid using caps and I thought these swing tops would do that.

Will this thermometer do the job?

Are bottletrees worthwhile? I remember the bottle draining process being messy before.

Likewise, are these bottle rinsers worth the investment?

I'm confused by the need for a syphon. If I had a fermentation bin with a tap on it, can that be used for bottling or does it not give enough control? If I need a syphon, I saw this one, but if there's a better one or another way of doing the bottling, I'm happy to consider it. There's also mention of a bottle filling stick, but I don't know what that adds to the process.

Anyone use this cleaner or is there another one that I should be using?

I also have a trial jar and a hydrometer on the list, but I'll save the questions on those for later. I don't think I need any help with a bottle brush or a paddle. :)

TLDR: This is my first brew in a long time. I need to buy the necessary equipment. Is what I described above all necessary? Have I left anything out? If you were buying this stuff again, would you buy the ones I listed or would you recommend others instead?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

endagibson wrote: »
    I was going to try the Muntons hand crafted Belgian ale, but then I realised that it required secondary fermentation and I'd rather avoid that the first time round as I read that it risks contamination.
    I'm sure the beer will still turn out much the same without a secondary. If that's the kit you fancy, go for it.
    Rule 1 is never read kit instructions. They are very often utterly misleading.
    to add a teaspoon of light spraymalt to each bottle.
    For priming, ordinary sugar is grand. You use so little it won't have any flavour contribution. There's no point in buying spraymalt just for priming.
    Any opinions on using this as a fermentation bin? I'm presuming that a tap is a handy thing to have, but please correct me if wrong.
    Personally I wouldn't use a bucket with a tap as it's one more thing to clean. That said, bottling directly from the tap using a bottling wand is handier than a siphon. Whatever you prefer, really.
    These look like good bottles, but please recommend others if you think they're better. I'm trying to avoid using caps and I thought these swing tops would do that.
    They're grand. The expense is the only downside. There's a lot to be said for re-using commercial beer bottles.
    Will this thermometer do the job?
    Yep.
    Are bottletrees worthwhile?
    I think so.
    Likewise, are these bottle rinsers worth the investment?
    Not something I use. I just dump everything in a big tub of no-rinse sanitiser, then on to the bottle tree.
    I'm confused by the need for a syphon. If I had a fermentation bin with a tap on it, can that be used for bottling
    Yes.

There's also mention of a bottle filling stick, but I don't know what that adds to the process.
    Essential kit, IMO. Gives you a perfect level fill with the right amount of head space and minimises splashing when filling.
    Anyone use this cleaner or is there another one that I should be using?
    I use the bleach and vinegar method you'll find described in other threads.
    I also have a trial jar
    You should use this for taking samples for gravity checks during fermentation. The tap should only be used once, for bottling, as it can't really be cleaned while the bucket is full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I use a bottle rinser, and don't bother with a bottle tree. see what suits you - the immersion sanitize methoid just needs a sink of water/bleach/vinegar.

I never bother with secondary fermentation.

Aldi's caster sugar is best for priming, as its cheaper than their white sugar.
    figure out how much you need for your full batch, boil up in the same weight of water.
    Add to bottling bucket, siphon/drain the beer onto it without splashing (use a tube form the fermenter tap if you go the tap route.), then bottle using a bottling wand. enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Thanks for the responses. I'll respond in turn.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    For priming, ordinary sugar is grand. You use so little it won't have any flavour contribution. There's no point in buying spraymalt just for priming.
    I understand. Sugar is fine for priming, but if you need something for the fermentation, then it's time for spraymalt.
    Personally I wouldn't use a bucket with a tap as it's one more thing to clean. That said, bottling directly from the tap using a bottling wand is handier than a siphon. Whatever you prefer, really.
    Maybe I'll get one without a tap for now. Thanks.
    They're grand. The expense is the only downside. There's a lot to be said for re-using commercial beer bottles.
    Good point. I'll start stocking up on beer bottles and only get these if I have to.
    Not something I use. I just dump everything in a big tub of no-rinse sanitiser, then on to the bottle tree.
    Okay, I'll do that too.
    Essential kit, IMO. Gives you a perfect level fill with the right amount of head space and minimises splashing when filling.
    Are these pieces of equipment generally standard in size and able to be swapped around? What I mean is, will a standard bottling wand fit onto any tap?
    I use the bleach and vinegar method you'll find described in other threads.
    I read up on that. Looks doable, as long as I don't poison myself with gas.
    You should use this for taking samples for gravity checks during fermentation. The tap should only be used once, for bottling, as it can't really be cleaned while the bucket is full.
    Okay. I'll need to read up on this some more as I am reluctant to take the lid off once I've started the process.

I use a bottle rinser, and don't bother with a bottle tree. see what suits you - the immersion sanitize methoid just needs a sink of water/bleach/vinegar.
    Thanks. I remember doing this in the bath years ago. As a bonus, the bath was also spotless afterward.
    I never bother with secondary fermentation.
    Why is it suggested then? Is it supposed to bring a benefit?
    Aldi's caster sugar is best for priming, as its cheaper than their white sugar.
    figure out how much you need for your full batch, boil up in the same weight of water.
    Add to bottling bucket, siphon/drain the beer onto it without splashing (use a tube form the fermenter tap if you go the tap route.), then bottle using a bottling wand. enjoy
    I think I understand what you're proposing here. Rather than adding the sugar to each individual bottle, prepare it and mix it in with the beer before bottling? I suppose that moving the beer to another bucket before bottling also separates it from the residue in the fermentation bin. Is there any downside to this?

Are these pieces of equipment generally standard in size and able to be swapped around? What I mean is, will a standard bottling wand fit onto any tap?
    Not sure, but I've never had a problem. In fact any bottling wand I've bought has come with a tap already attached, which I've taken off. The shop will be able to advise you.
    I am reluctant to take the lid off once I've started the process.
    No need to for the first week, once you're happy that fermentation is happening, and after a week of alcohol production the beer will be less susceptible to infection. Don't get hung up on sealing the bucket and airlocks and that. The lid's only job is to stop things falling in to the bucket, it doesn't need to be on tight.

• Advertisement

Thanks again. Hopefully this will be my last question for a while...

I read in another thread about using water from Aldi or Lidl if your tapwater is too hard/soft. I see these hardness strips available.

What would be the acceptable range for my water?

Water chemistry isn't an issue if you're making a kit: the beer is pretty much finished -- you're just diluting and fermenting it. If your water is OK to drink it's OK to make a kit beer with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why is it suggested then? Is it supposed to bring a benefit?
    It might, but bottle conditioning does pretty much the same thing. It might be worth while doing for barrelling/kegging -
    I think I understand what you're proposing here. Rather than adding the sugar to each individual bottle, prepare it and mix it in with the beer before bottling? I suppose that moving the beer to another bucket before bottling also separates it from the residue in the fermentation bin. Is there any downside to this?

The major downside to moving beer is the risk of getting oxygen into it and it spoiling.

I've no tap on my fermenter so I put the sugar syrup into a bottling bucket, then siphon the beer onto this and bottle. The beer mixes with the sugar and gives consistent carbonation.

I made one brew where I added the sugar to the fermenter(actually the bottling bucket as my fermenter was lagering) and the bottles were hit and miss for fizz.

Pulled the trigger today on the equipment I need first. Apparently it has shipped and I should have it tomorrow.

That Homebrew Company seem like a decent bunch. I had ordered the Muntons Gold Highland Heavy as I wanted at least a 3kg kit but their last one was damaged, so they're sending me the hand crafted Oaked Ale instead and they wouldn't accept me paying the difference. Apart from that, order one day - get the next, can't do better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I read in another thread about using water from Aldi or Lidl if your tapwater is too hard/soft. I see these hardness strips available

Just watch for chlorine in your water. On hot days or if there are droughts or works going on they can increase the amount used.

You can leave your water sit overnight for most of it to go, with a loose lid

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Just watch for chlorine in your water. On hot days or if there are droughts or works going on they can increase the amount used.

You can leave your water sit overnight for most of it to go, with a loose lid
    That's a good point. I know someone who keeps fish who constantly has bins of water sitting out to allow the chlorine evaporate off. If I ever get a second fermentation vat I will do that.

Advertisement